Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Dark pink crinum

plantmaven
10 years ago

I have had this about ten years and this is the first time it has bloomed. It was in too much shade until I had the Arizona Ash cut down.

Comments (14)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Oh my, that is a beautiful color! I have a couple of different kinds, but they're a lot paler, really like that brighter color.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I bought it at a sale at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens. It is actually darker than in this picture.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

I am amazed that you kept something for 10 years that didnt bloom! Now that is patience ! I can wait and hope for 3-4 years, but after that its outa there.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was more trouble to dig than leave it. lol It is in a back corner of the yard and wasn't in the way and is green.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Wow Kathy -- you're having all kinds of blooming adventures now that the area is getting sun. I might even have to bring over some cactus and agaves for you ... ;-) ... LOL.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How do you type a tongue sticking out?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Like this maybe ... :)- ... hahaha!

(In case you haven't noticed Kathy is not a big fan of desert plants ... :-)

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I wish GW allowed emoticons. ha

• ilovemyroses
    10 years ago

pretty!! I have a few that I continue to move, of course, they have never bloomed, and it is really not their fault. Just STILL can't find the right place. Seems that they take a bit of room, need full sun, leave a void space alot of the year....hmmmm, ideas???

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Kathy, that is a beautiful bloom. Patience rewarded. Ha, schoolhouse sneaked that one by.
    kay

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roselee is one of my bestest garden buds. We pick at each other all the time.

Mandolls ~ I tell a plant this is your last year, if something doesn't happen.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    10 years ago

Hi Kathy,

MineâÂÂs never bloomed - can you give me advice? It is a Milk and Wine. How wet does it like to be? What kind of fertilizer and when? Does it have to have full sun? Yours is beautiful! Thanks so much, River

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That poor thing has been so neglected.
    I had a tree removed several months ago. Until then it got mostly shade. So I am assuming it was the lack of sun. The only water it gets is rain or from sprinklers.
    The milk and wine I had bloomed in dappled shade under live oaks.
    Fifty two years a go we rented a house in South Texas. There was a M&W the size of my grandmother's vw beetle. I was pregnant with my first child and did not garden at that time. So I know that one was neglected.

So...I would move it to where it gets more sun and after it recovers from being transplanted water only if it looks like it needs water. I have never fertilized it.
    In this picture it is behind the blue chair.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kathy, that sounds just right. My Milk and Wine needs more sun to bloom but it does not want to be out in the blazing sun. Appreciate your help! Best, River

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures