Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark pink crinum

Posted by plantmaven 8b/9a TX (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 21:17

I have had this about ten years and this is the first time it has bloomed. It was in too much shade until I had the Arizona Ash cut down.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark pink crinum

Oh my, that is a beautiful color! I have a couple of different kinds, but they're a lot paler, really like that brighter color.

o

Thanks. I bought it at a sale at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens. It is actually darker than in this picture.

o

I am amazed that you kept something for 10 years that didnt bloom! Now that is patience ! I can wait and hope for 3-4 years, but after that its outa there.

o

It was more trouble to dig than leave it. lol It is in a back corner of the yard and wasn't in the way and is green.

o

Wow Kathy -- you're having all kinds of blooming adventures now that the area is getting sun. I might even have to bring over some cactus and agaves for you ... ;-) ... LOL.

o

How do you type a tongue sticking out?

o

Like this maybe ... :)- ... hahaha!

(In case you haven't noticed Kathy is not a big fan of desert plants ... :-)

o

I wish GW allowed emoticons. ha

photo raspberry.gif

o

pretty!! I have a few that I continue to move, of course, they have never bloomed, and it is really not their fault. Just STILL can't find the right place. Seems that they take a bit of room, need full sun, leave a void space alot of the year....hmmmm, ideas???

o

Kathy, that is a beautiful bloom. Patience rewarded. Ha, schoolhouse sneaked that one by.
kay

o

Roselee is one of my bestest garden buds. We pick at each other all the time.

Mandolls ~ I tell a plant this is your last year, if something doesn't happen.

o

Hi Kathy,

Mine‘s never bloomed - can you give me advice? It is a Milk and Wine. How wet does it like to be? What kind of fertilizer and when? Does it have to have full sun? Yours is beautiful! Thanks so much, River

o

That poor thing has been so neglected.
I had a tree removed several months ago. Until then it got mostly shade. So I am assuming it was the lack of sun. The only water it gets is rain or from sprinklers.
The milk and wine I had bloomed in dappled shade under live oaks.
Fifty two years a go we rented a house in South Texas. There was a M&W the size of my grandmother's vw beetle. I was pregnant with my first child and did not garden at that time. So I know that one was neglected.

So...I would move it to where it gets more sun and after it recovers from being transplanted water only if it looks like it needs water. I have never fertilized it.
In this picture it is behind the blue chair.

o

Thanks, Kathy, that sounds just right. My Milk and Wine needs more sun to bloom but it does not want to be out in the blazing sun. Appreciate your help! Best, River

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here