Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyme2dig2

I'm in love with......Deutzia

Does anyone else grow Deutzia? I absolutely love D. gracilis 'Nikko'. It is such a sweet little shrub. It blooms at the same time as salvia 'May Night' to give an idea of timing. 'Nikko' is a smaller variety that grows into a nice mounded, tidy shrub only about 10" tall. They're blooming now in my garden and I can't stop looking at them!

Comments (17)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

That's very pretty. I have often wondered if they would grow here.

k

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I love deutzia and I have Nikko too, I'm growing it in some shade. VERY dry shade and it's just fine, plantmaven. If you can find it locally, I bet it can grow there.

• mehearty
    12 years ago

Never heard of it, but now I'm in love too! I've been looking for a white to bloom right now as pretty much everything is blooming blue. Your deutzia is lovely!

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

That's lovely! I grow Deutzia "Chardonnay Pearls " and it is So charming. I live in the city, so I grew it in a container and I can't believe how cheerfully it survived the long winter!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I love it, too. Sadly, the marauding mutts completely destroyed the one I planted last year in their wild romps/wrestling matches. Seeing yours, I guess I need to put one in the front yard where it will be safe! That is a marvelous shrub!!!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I love Deutzias but it's one I haven't had in my garden to date, it's going on my want list :), that's a shrub I MUST look for.
    My mother had a double flowering white in her garden back in the early forties, there's a double pink too. Another white flowering shrub I love is Exochorda x macrantha 'The Bride', must look for this one as well.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I really, really love your white Deutzia. I have two pink ones, called "Magician", one down in the orchard and one in the upper garden. They are both getting very tall and remain somewhat leggy as they are planted too close to other trees (as is the case in the orchard) and too close to the privet hedge in the upper garden. They have to lean way over to lap up any sunshine they can. Bees, ants and bugs of all kinds cover them.

upper garden:
    {{gwi:708344}}

One in orchard:
    {{gwi:708348}}

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse, that is a beautiful flower. I bought a large one a few years ago called D. kalmiiflora and it looks similar to yours but I think your is more pink. Very pretty.

Annetts, I just put in a tiny exochorda 'The Bride' last year. It did not do well and I thought it was doomed. It came back great this year! Still small but covered in blooms and it looked wonderful. I can't wait for it to get bigger. It is a tough shrub to find. I ordered mine mail-order and I can't remember now which nursery but it was probably Forest Farm.

By the way I started Phuopsis from seed after seeing all the pictures of yours. I didn't realize how stinky that plant is! LOL!! They're doing very well but boy do they smell like a skunk walked through!

Plantmaven, my mom has many deutzia in her Z8 NC garden. Most are in a part-sun conditions and they do very well. They have been in a drought for a number of years and they still do quite well. I agree with GGG that it should work for you.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks. I'd like to have a white one like yours near the house, or maybe a white that would grow a little taller. It would take over when the spirea stops blooming. How tall is "The Bride" suppose to get?

12 years ago

I think 'The Bride' grows between 3 and 4 feet. Then there's Spiraea thunbergii, the one I have grows to about 6 feet. This one looks like Baby's Breath on steroids :). There's several different varieties to choose from, mine is just the plain old, plain old.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Oh, I got confused. I thought "The Bride" was a variety of Deutzia, you meant that is a Spirea. I've heard of Bridal Veil spirea, is that the same? (I suppose we should start another thread on Spirea).

12 years ago

LOL, no, "The Bride" is Exochorda x macrantha. I seemed to have started a white flowering shrub ramble. I'm easily sidetracked, don't you know.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Ha. That's ok.

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

I planted two deutzia "Chardonnay Pearls" this spring.

They were so charming! The hot weather did in the flower though. Nice small shrub nonetheless.

IN the picture, mostly not blooming: japanese iris, anise hyssop, dianthus, garden phlox, blue flowering veronica (sprawling ground cover type) and some iron cross shamrocks. OH, and a columbine and a volunteer daisy in bud. The dead sticks are left over cleome stalks...I planted some sweet peas at their base and hoped the sweet peas would climb up the sticks. They aren't following along with my plan though! Yellow flags and marshmallow roasting sticks to mark bulb locations so I don't dig them up while planting something else. Hm, I really seeem to pack in the plants with a little of this and that. My excuse is that I am still learning what grows well here and where and when, etc.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I just bought two Exochorda 'Snow day Surprise' which I am going to plant tomorrow, Annette! So excited. Do they really do alright in part shade? I was going to put them in front of the house at the back of the new garden in between two hollies (which I want to take out, but haven't been able to talk anyone into digging for me). They really wouldn't get much direct sun there, though-only some afternoon sun. Maybe I need to rethink. I have another spot on the south side of the house that will get more sun, but it is a pretty dry spot and I would have to protect it from the mongrel horde-lol-wouldn't be too hard in that spot. Hmmm...perhaps I could put the fothergilla there on the side, too. That just might work. Do you think those would look good near each other? Of course, I could always give a Deutzia another try there, too!

• hplove8_telus_net
    12 years ago

Hello- I used to have both the gracilis and the rosea Deutzia at the house I just sold, as well as Exchorda Macrantha. My research on the "Bride" exchorda macrantha is that it will reach 10-12 feet. Mine was still in the 3 foot range after 4 years, but I did prune off some 6 foot branches... my guess is that it will be comfortable with at least four feet all around to grow into.
    the Deutzia, I just love. the Gracilis blooms first then the rosea a week or two later. I have been trying to do some soft wood propagating, but it looks as though I have done something wrong again. I am now shopping for a specimen or two.
    Yesterday, I was on the Rossland BC garden tour, and I came across two gracilis Deutzia at about 10 feet tall, at least 6 feet across, and probably 50 years old. One was on the tour, and the people were delighted to find out what they had, and one was at a neighbour's yard, that I noticed as I drove by, and stopped to have a good look.
    In my old place, in Creston, the Gracilis was in blossom about mid June, and here in Rossland, due to the altitude, they are in blossom now, at the end of July. Even a few peonies were just finishing their show... Fascinating, as the zone is cooler than one might think for the Deutzia,
    Holly

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

That is such a pretty little shrub. thank you for posting that lovely picture .
    kay

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner