Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Now you did it......before/during/after (PICS)

mary_lu_gw
13 years ago

Ok, after reading the replies to my other thread, and digging through old photos to find before photos to post, I really got nostalgic. I realized how far the garden has come. I guess working in it and seeing it every day, you forget how far it has come. (and how much work we really did!!)

So...without further ado, here are some before, during and after pictures of our garden room. (There may be a few duplicates from the other thread, so please excuse)

Just grass/snow in the beginning - March 2002

{{gwi:690533}}

{{gwi:690536}}

Fall of 2002, much but not all of the hardscape in place, 2 more paths are added in 2003

{{gwi:690537}}

Same view summer 2003 - all planted and 2 more paths added

{{gwi:298184}}

Summer 2007 - best picture I've got! Doubt I could ever duplicate it!

Taken this evening, after rains last night and this morning. The rose on the stone wall as well as others have yet to bloom. Yes, the sun dial is still in the bed at the edge of the patio. You just can't see it any more!

Another view...Spring 2003 - starting to plant

summer 2010 - this week standing in almost the same location

{{gwi:690531}}

Again, another view...Summer 2003 all planted

Summer 2010 - this evening

Ok....that's it. I found many other photos, but none that were almost duplicate positions in the gardens. I really enjoyed my trip back in time looking for these photos. I haven't gone back and looked at them in quite some time.

Comments (33)

• merindah
    13 years ago

Your hard work has really paid off. It looks terrific.

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

It is all just stunning. Especially that summer of 2007 picture. I love the hardscape you have done. And that big fountain is so wonderful.

• keesha2006
    13 years ago

now that is true beauty..your hard work shows in spades...and sweat :) Very nice...didn't you get a bit discouraged last year with your roses? Those pictures show why you shouldnt....a work of art..magazine perfect

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Give yourself a pat on the back girl, that was one amazing transformation.

Annette

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

A dull, plain looking space turned into a true showcase of beauty. Shows what can be done with vision and hard work. You've inspired me, so thank you.

• kailleanm
    13 years ago

Wow! What a transformation. So much work and love has gone into that garden. Beautiful!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Now that's what I like to see. What a heck of a lot of work, and what a glorious result.
    Renee

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Oh Mary Lu - what a fantastic transformation - love it. You have every right to be very proud of what you have done :) .....

Lynne

• Annie
    13 years ago

Thanks Mary_lu!

The 2007 pics were the ones I remembered you posting of the fountain garden. I was all gah gah over it back then. Awesome transition images. I am so glad you photo-documented it.

Beyond belief isn't it?
    Just lovely.

Thank you for showing these.
    ~Annie

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Truly amazing! Very well done, it must give you so much pleasure, and deservedly so. Thanks for the inspiration.

• DYH
    13 years ago

A fantastic garden! Thanks for reposting the sequence together.

• Cher
    13 years ago

Truly beautiful gardens. You have a great eye and should be very proud and I am sure these before and after will help those that are unsure what to do, to see the possibilities of their own spaces.
    Cher

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

Just absolutely wonderful and a real testiment to the value of planning and hardscaping. Great great job.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

What an incredible transformation from a blank slate to a completely beautiful garden. So, do you find that after 7 years your plan is still the same as when you originally planted it? It looks from your newly planted photos that much of the plant material is still in place today. A testament to your planning abillities in both the hardscape and the plant material. Did you draw up the plans on paper first or did it just flow as you were working in the space? Have you moved much around or just tinkered here and there with plants once you had it all planted?

Truly an amazing garden space.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The plan has remained pretty much the same since day 1. Some of the plants in the garden have changed. Some did not do well or died from winter damage. Others succumbed to disease, like RRD on roses on the fence. While others just did not perform like I though they would. In that respect I am still working on the garden.

We had no plan on paper to start with, knew we wanted a "garden room" in that location. We talked about it after we viewed the house for the first time before purchasing it.

Everything just seemed to flow once we started. We found the brick locally when we were trying to decide how to do the paths, I found the fountain on the Internet and DH is a trucker and just "happened" to be going through the town where it was located. So it came home, along with a small fountain that he fell in love with. Then we had to find a spot for it too.

I wanted a swing in the garden, and we tossed around various ideas of how/where to do that. Ended up with the arbor with porch swing. We found the little windows at a flea market and purchased them not evening knowing at the time how we would use them. Even added the shelves below the windows for a place to set drinks on.
    {{gwi:677866}}

The only plans on paper we had were the ones I drew up to show the city council what we wanted to do when I went before the board to ask for a variance. We wanted to build the fence 8 feet tall and our city only allows 6 foot high fences. They approved it, commenting that my documentation and pictures went a long way in helping the decision. I had looked through many garden magazines for pictures of fences similar to what we wanted to build.

There have been some changes though. We lost 2 huge trees. One shaded the arbor swing and patio and the other was along the fence and shaded the bed that is located there. So now the roses get more sun, but the area gets much warmer! It was very disheartening at the time, as the shadows they provided gave the room a sense of privacy, especially from the second story of the house next door. The first year we lost that tree, I was devistated and only went into the garden room when I had work to do. Spent almost all my time in other parts of the garden. But with time I came to love my "new" garden too.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I showed the pics to my husband. He said, "I congratulate those people!" I ditto him. Your hard work certainly paid off. You should be really proud!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful job you have done! I just love seeing before and after pics. Doesn't it feel good to see just how far you have come? To see the little things you have planted years ago grown into big, beautiful specimens! Your garden is so lovely Mary Lu, thank you for the pics!
    CMK

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

You have done a wonderful job. It is so lovely.
    I don't remember where you live.
    Isn't it your yard that has the picket fence and lots daylilies?

Kathy

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I must confess the picket fence and daylilies are us too! They take center stage later in the summer. Although this year many are already sending up scapes. (We also have the porch without a house, if you remember that?)

We live in southwest Wisconsin. Used to be zone 4 and is now considered zone 5. That's why I always say zone 4/5. Just depends on the winter which zone it is! :-)

• angel2008
    13 years ago

OMG...I just knew I shouldn't come over to this area of GW..I knew what would happen :) I LOVE what you did to your Garden Room, it is beautiful, you must be so proud of all the work and the final results. I showed my DH this morning, and all he said is "and where would you put that?" haha...silly guy, of course I have the perfect spot for it..need to start looking for some "cottage garden plants" now. I just keep coming back and looking at your pictures..its so peaceful looking.
    Corinne

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

It is really a beautiful place. I love your room and the work was beautifully thought out and lovely results. enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    'kay

• susie_gardener_2007
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting all of these pictures. I just showed it to my husband and said "Now you know why I've been collecting all those bricks!" I want to do a backyard similar to yours. Good job!!!

Susie

• token28001
    13 years ago

Incredible. I'm again inspired.

• neverenoughflowers
    13 years ago

Absolutely inspiring!!!! I can't believe how much larger it looks with all the plantings, paths and "bones". It makes me feel like "I can do it" when I get inspired to take on a job that just seems too big. I just love everything about it. You should pat yourselves on the back for a job well done.

Carol

• natal
    13 years ago

I remember some of those photos from your blog. The love is very apparent!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

So fantastic! You have some lucky neighbors. Completely stunning!

• njmomma
    13 years ago

I love it! Can you tell me what kind of bricks you used? Were they new but made to look old? Did you buy them from a company? We want to do a path and really like this look so I want to know what to look for.
    thanks!
    Tanya

• token28001
    13 years ago

I wish you were my neighbor. Beautiful work. I'd love to have a walk and patio like that in my backyard. Maybe next year.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Token, remember that swing you bought from your sister's? You could take this lady's idea and do yours that way. It would be so neat!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

WOW - what a remarkable and beautiful transformation!! And such an inspiration - thanks for sharing :)

~Andrea

• ianna
    13 years ago

beautiful. Love the position of your seating area and the winding brick path.

• maggie_berry
    13 years ago

Your Garden is beautiful. Thank You for all the wonderful pictures!!

• freezengirl
    13 years ago

Mary Lu,
    Your garden and all the hard work you put into it are an inspiration. Truely lovely to look at on a chilly winter evening in Alaska.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz