Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colorful fence

Posted by ravensfan52 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 21:42

This section of fence gets good sun for most of the afternoon. I planted the majority of plants about 3 yrs ago, so they are mingling nicely by now. We have a purple clematis, 2 different honeysuckles, and John Cabot rose with sweet autumn clematis rounding out the far end of the fence. It smells pretty darn good over here right now! This view is from the backyard side.

photo imagejpg5-4.jpg

The front of this fence is what I would call a hell strip- bordered by hot pavement driveway and the dirt below is very gravelly from construction of the driveway. Will take a pic from the front tomorrow. I have taken inspiration for the hell strip from High Country Gardens catalog and combined blue catmint, yellow coreopsis, and pink centranthus while filling in win seedling phlox, Purple Rooster bee balm, and coneflower, with some returning summer bulbs thrown in there too. Oh, and there's some potted tomatoes and snap peas in there too, because with a cottage garden, there is no wrong answer!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful fence

So very pretty! What is the plant in front (no flowers)? I have one that appears similar to that (no flowers), and am at a loss as to what it is.

o

The tall plant in front is bee balm. The Purple Roster variety is so pretty and attracts hummingbirds and butterflies, which is why I grow it. I had extra from the front of the fence last yr and moved a piece to back here, and it has spread and will bloom soon. It will need to move towards the back of this bed since it is about 26 in tall. A great pass along plant!

o

Beautiful! Such a lush planting with all the vines and rose getting along so nicely! Well done!

o

Thanks, ravensfan, I hope it is indeed Bee Balm, am eagerly watching to see if it blooms, although from what I read here in Texas it should be blooming by now.

o

What a beautiful area you created !! I love how lush everything looks. The clematis looks so full for being 3 years old!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here