Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanitycheck_gw

Its not a cottage garden without....

sanitycheck
12 years ago

I seen this idea from a 2005 posting. Its time to run it again.

In my case it must have columbine, morning glorys... heavenly blue, foxglove and cleome. I could go on and on but wont, anyone else?

Comments (38)

• cardwellave
    12 years ago

Hollyhock, shasta daisy, black eyed susan.

• cindysunshine
    12 years ago

Oh. my peonies, Siberian iris, self sowing things that pop up like cleome, nicotiana, cosmos, lilies, columbine. Roses, phlox. I will stop!

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

Hostas, ferns, Bleeding hearts, Lily of the Valley...

• on_greenthumb
    12 years ago

Sunny Side: Roses, Phlox, Black Eyed Susans and Climbers....

Shady Side: Ferns, Columbine, Geraniums & Lady`s Mantle....

• sanitycheck
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok today its larkspur cosmos snapdragons and sunflowers....lol.

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

Roses, Columbine, Iris, Hollyhock, Rosemary, Lambs ears, Mint, Clematis, Sage, Hosta, Phlox, Morning Glory, Hardy Geraniums.......Trellis, paths, pillars, bench and a bit of stone somewhere. Layers and layers. More more more! Ooops got a little lost there, lol.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

When I think cottage, foxgloves, canterbury bells, hollyhocks, roses, delphiniums, pinks, lavender and sweet peas are the first flowers that come to mind.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Yes.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Three more, peonies nasturtiums and larkspur.

• sanitycheck
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Window boxs, hardscape and a climbing rose.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

As well as what's already been mentioned: Jacob's Ladder, lilacs, peony poppies, pink/red yarrow, monkshood, fleabane, forget-me-not, herbs (parsley, rosemary, chives, sage, oregano, etc.), Walker's Low catmint, speedwells, dianthus, perennial blue flax.

Infrastructure - no straight lines and pretty garden decor.

Thanks for the thread, I'm making a list!

• ginny12
    12 years ago

The plant that meant cottage garden more than any other in our grandmas' gardens was hollyhocks. Still true.

And my personal choice is for a kitty cat sleeping on a step or patroling the paths.

• rafor
    12 years ago

All of the above! And my Mom just cut the first sweet peas today. I plant them every year for her. I also just got some perennial sweet peas to try. Hope they work!

• onederw
    12 years ago

We in southern California sometimes have to "cottage up" with substitutes for some of your favorites. For shade, bleeding hearts and lily of the valley just don't prosper in our heat. Even hostas and heucheras struggle, which is why God invented impatiens and coleus, I think. Delphiniums are short-lived here, but to me they are one of the backbones of the spring garden, along with foxgloves, giving way to cleomes as we head into summer. Gaillardias just keep blooming all summer long. Scabiosas, in particular scabiosa fama, are essential. Shasta daisies, of course, especially Ice Star. And tall bearded irises, even though they're here and gone in a heartbeat. Any shade of blue is preferable.

Kay

PS: And yes, one more vote of support for a cat-in-residence.

• sanitycheck
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The last two years i have used coleus and really liked the way it looks, so many pretty ones out there.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

My cottage plants are still in progress and agree with these posts. I do, however, like the chickens in my garden even though they sometimes get a little scratch-happy. I've had very little damage, though, and haven't seen any 6-legged pests.

Cats are also great not just because they're cute, but they sure do help with the moles and voles.

My garden won't really be cottage until I've gotten my herb beds in.

Also, I love my stone walkways and wooden arbor. The previous owner made the arbor out of saplings, very primitive and beautiful, and an ice storm this year finally did it in. Time to cut some more saplings.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

Top of the list would have to be hollyhocks.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Shrub roses! With lilacs, peonies, lavender, bee balm, columbine, stock, alyssum, cosmos, daisies, pansies, butterfly bushes and coneflowers. Definitely a little seating area to enjoy the garden, with one chair for me and one for kitty :)

Oh, and lots of clematis to climb the arches and arbors!

• marynj
    12 years ago

Lantana, bee balm, lavender, African blue basil (new in our garden this year), yarrow, columbine, morning glory, and balloon flower.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    12 years ago

No roses or hollyhock because of Japanese Beetles. No luck with foxgloves. Cottage gardens aren't about any certain plants, they're about a relaxed, comfortable style.

mao

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

To me it's more of the full informal spilling over look with towering flower stalks & mounding fillers. Fragrant plants of any type are the icing on the cake. Bumblebees, butterflies, birds, birdbath, chair & table nearby to sit & enjoy...

I don't have full sun cottage beds, so experimenting with what I can get to bloom & grow well in my part shade, modified Mediterranean climate (wet win/dry sum). If it can take some shade I'll try it!

Spikes of dame's rocket, Filipendula rubra, foxglove, columbine, nepeta, daylily, Siberian iris, ornamental grasses, Astilbe, ferns (mostly natives of lady & evergreen sword) Asiatic & Oriental lilies, ...

Mounds of foliage with flower spikes of bellflower, hardy geraniums, 'London Pride' saxifraga foliage, hosta, viola, flowering shrubs (including natives), Shasta Daisy, lungwort, heuchera, corydalis lutea, Celandine poppy, forget me not, hardy fuchsia,...

Spillers: ajuga, golden creeping jenny, lamium, climbing plants like sweet peas & clematis, ...

I have golden hops, ornamental kiwi, & silvervein creeper still in the large pots in their location deciding if the lighting is enough to keep them happy & will be planting them out soon.

• frogview00
    12 years ago

maturity. If it doesn't look established and "old", it is just a bed of plants.

• arcticiris
    12 years ago

Veggies mixed in. A working cottage garden is the most beautiful way to get your greens.

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

all of the above and most of all the happy reseeders that result in an every changing garden full of wonderment and plenty of places to sit down and enjoy

hollyhocks are my all time favorite cottage garden flower but sadly I am having to eliminate from my garden due to rust - it is horrendous :( ....

Lynne

• mehearty
    12 years ago

Ditto to what's written, plus an old, weathered rocking chair on the front porch. Today after working in the garden in the heat, I sat down, rocked a bit and looked at everything. That's what gardening's all about right there.

• sanitycheck
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had one of those soft apricot poppys show up today, didnt even know she was there...sigh

• sanitycheck
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahhhhh, grandkids playing in the sprinkler. What a nice addition.

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

sanitycheck - you mean like this :)

granddaughter and grand nieces on Easter Day

• sanitycheck
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now thats what im talking about, lol. They are precious Lynne.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Lynne: You have Perfection!!! Pic really do say a 1000 words! (Love the fencing too, that screams cottage garden to me!)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Adorable!! I especially like the gate that looks as though it's never been closed, as if to say, "Welcome...please step in and enjoy the flowers."

• janroze
    12 years ago

....good friends and bird houses and feeders. Oh and a place to sit and rest and enjoy it all. Is it any wonder our gardens are so full?
    gramma jan

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

A cat walking slowly down the garden paths, and taking care of chipmunks, squirrels and rabbits.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Love all your posts and I concur wholeheartedly!

Deanna,
    My hens not only eat bugs, they also eat small rodents and snakes too. And their eggs are selling well - gives me a little spending money to buy more plants! :P
    They do scratch out the mulch a bit, but all I have to do is push it back with my foot. They are Walking Fertilizers too.
    ~Annie

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

I agree with hollyhocks, and I wish I knew what happened to mine...they disappeared. I suspect DH thought they were weeds at some point and did away with them.

Also roses and delphiniums are must-haves.

A white picket fence is nice too. :)

• oklahomarose
    12 years ago

These posts are wonderful....

Yes to it all! Especially the snoozing cats and picket fences. I'm building my own stone wall with the most gorgeous chunks of grey stone. Benches are nice. I love long, leggy plants. By force of will, I manage to keep foxglove going.

Also, might I add, a greenhouse? I have a hobby house made of heavy plastic, and I'm saving for the real thing...

• sanitycheck
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I must admit im spoiled with a small greenhouse. Todays faves are cosmos!

• luvgardening_ma
    12 years ago

I agree with all of you. The more plants the better. A few more would be nigella, agastache,verbena bonsariensis and the alyssum that re-seeds along my walkway. Have to also agreen to the kitty. My two are always hiding somewhere. I have had the same problem with rust on the holly hocks. Try again in another spot. It has worked for me.
    Marlene