Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evening Primrose - Weed or Flower?

Posted by quilt_mommy 5/6 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 22, 09 at 21:59

Hi - I'm still relatively new to gardening, and I just discovered I have a couple of these (evening primroses) in my garden. About three years ago I bought some bee balm and something else that I can't remember from a lady in town who was thinning her garden. Unfortunately, the bee balm didn't seed, although I'd hoped they would, and the other I just can't remember for the life of me what it was! I'm wondering if this evening primrose could have been what I bought and planted back then...I remember it coming up last year, and I could't tell if it was a weed or a flower, so I potted one and kept it around for weeks, and I felt silly babying this thing that was probably a weed, so finally, I tossed it. I have no idea where it came from unless this was what I bought and I can't remember, or maybe some of the seeds were in the potted up plants I'd purchased from someone.

Do they go by any other name? If it IS from the plant I bought years ago, I'm sure it wasn't labeled as a primrose. **scratches head*** Lol*

Oh, and is it a weed after all??? LOL***

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evening Primrose - Weed or Flower?

Depends on the cultivar....

Nancy.

o

If it's the pink variety that pops when you touch a ripe seed pod, it's a flowering weed.

o

It's not pink, but I sure wish it was!!! Weed or not! LOL* It's yellow, and it's kind of a stalk almost of yellow flowers...I'm thinking it's a weed...

Any idea of how invasive this could be in my Northeast Ohio garden?

o

Oenothera biennis?

It is listed as weedy or invasive for areas like the South, Kentucky, etc. I'm not sure I would call it invasive even here in NC. It does reseed, but the one place I know it's growing, it's not terrible. It's in an unmaintained bed downtown and there are only a few plants each summer than pop up. I'm sure no one is pulling any seedlings.

o

Here's my pink evening primrose.It does re-seed quite well and i pull a lot of it out every year after the bloom is over,ad it always comes back.I like to keep it around as i think it's pretty.
Kathi

evening primroses

o

Does it look like this?

If it does I believe it's Oenothera fruticosa. I love them! Yes, they do want to take over a garden bed, but they are so easy to pull up. I let them do their thing every early-summer and then rip bunches out. They come back the following year and I'd never know I pulled them out by the handfuls. I have them in beds filled with daylilies. After they bloom they just fade into the background. They will take over if you let them, but I think they are worth it to let them go and then yank them from the garden after the flowers fade! Any one of them that begins to encroach on another perennial gets pulled.

o

thyme2dig - YES!!! Finally! Those are exactly what they look like! Lol* I have two or three of them that came up and they are so pretty I couldn't pull them. Wow they look really gorgeous in your garden! I think I'm gonna keep them around then, and see what they do.

Thank you so much for the help! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here