Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Is it too late to plant shasta daisies?

pippi21
12 years ago

Is it too late to plant shasta daisies now? If I could find a short version like Snow Princess or Snow Lady, at the garden centers/nurseries now, I'd buy and plant them in one of my front beds that looks sparse since the columbines are no longer blooming and I've already cut them back and I can see the new growth on them in just a week or 10 day's time frame. Would I be risking losing those that I have of Snow Lady if I dug them up and divided them now? I've been waiting for their heads to dry so I could collect their seeds. They are not dark or dried up yet.

Comments (4)

• susan75023
    12 years ago

I transplant all the time and it is extremely hot here. The key is getting as much of the soil around the plant to "stick" so the disturbance to the roots is as slight as possible. Then lots of water until they are established.

• DYH
    12 years ago

If I'm buying from a nursery in the hot weather, I let the plant sit in shade for a day or two to adjust. I gently take it out of the pot, tease the roots loose and soak it in water before planting.

Shade is just as important as watering when transplanting in summer in my garden. You can use a hoop type plant support (round circle with 3 stakes). Hook some lightweight WHITE fabric across the top of the support to give the plant shade, but allow it to get light and air circulation.

Cameron

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Freda,
    I dug up one of the taller clump of daisies about a month ago, divided that clump into 2 good size piece and replanted them in the back of the garage bed, one clump in each corner. I cut them all the way to the ground level and by golly, they are coming back and just yesterday, I put one of those plant supports around both of them, as the daisies are starting to bloom and shoot up again. I figured I'd either kill it when I moved it or it would make it and rebloom again next spring. Today is Miracle Gro feeding time. I haven't been as diligent about doing that as I should have been.

Want to go down to HD or to another local garden center and see if I can buy some short version of daisies and plant them in bed by living room window. Since I cut the columbines back in that bed, it is very sparse, with the exception of dwarf fairy candytuft for color. Oh, there's some larkspurs I planted last Fall that are blooming and some tall snapdragons and coneflowers. Just direct sowed some more of the dwarf candytuft seeds and I see them popping through already. Those will reseed themselves. I got the seeds from Crosmanseeds.com in Rochester, NY. They stay pretty all summer and just in my color scheme too. I highly recommend them. I would have never thought about soaking the transplanted plant in water before planting but it makes sense. Thanks for the tips!

• DYH
    12 years ago

We get 90-100 degrees and little rain in the summer, but I went out and bought plants on sale yesterday (local nursery). I needed more milkweed or the butterflies! And, got rattlesnake master, Russian sage, dusty miller, cleome, centranthus ruber, Joe Pye....and more! Call me crazy! I'll wait for a rainy day forecast!

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA