Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

East Elegance - Sunrise Sunset

mary_lu_gw
12 years ago

In the past there have been posts asking about good roses to grow in colder climates. I thought I would post some results I have had.

If anyone is looking for a really nice shrub rose, I have found one I just love! It is one of the Easy Elegance series of roses and is called Sunrise Sunset. In my zone 4/5 garden it is planted in a bed along the sidewalk in a very unprotected area. It has very little winter die back and it covers itself with blooms. The first year it did die back a little more, but regrew quickly, so quite hardy. Later in the year it may throw out long canes, but I just cut them back so they don't grow out into the sidewalk. As the blooms age they change color and lighten so that the bush almost looks multicolored. The blooms themselves almost glow. The color is hard to describe as the bloom is pink, but almost/not quite a salmon pink and then closer to the center it is a golden apricot color.

So if anyone if looking for an easy care, hardy to at least zone 4/5 garden, blooming machine then check out Sunrise Sunset. :-)

I took these pictures this evening, so the "glow" is not as apparent. Also the color looks more pink than it really is. These pictures show 2 bushes with a daylily planted between them. Hard to see the daylily though... I only wish I had found this rose sooner, as I would have planted at least one in the garden room, but alas the garden room is full. However as they are planted along the sidewalk they are highly visible from the street for all to see.

Comments (21)

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Wow!! Those look fantastic! Thanks for sharing. :)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Jealosy!!! I wish I could find roses like that for Atlanta. Those really are the perfect "landscaping" rose Mary Lu!

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

crackingtheconcrete, you are very welcome!

GGG, what growing zone are you in? The reason I ask is this rose is listed as hardy zones 4-9. Just not sure how big it would get in your zone. I find it gets about about 3-4 feet wide for me (except the one that is between the 2 peonies. That one is about 2.5 feet wide. The peonies crowd it.) Height tends to be about 3 feet. So maybe worth a try for you?

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Where is the edit button when you need it? Just realized that the topic says "East Elegance" when I meant to say "Easy Elegance". Sorry.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GGG, also this past week we had 3 days of 95-99 degree heat. This rose did not seem to miss a beat. None of the blooms crisped at all. They may have faded a little more than usual, but that's about it.

This picture was taken during spring flush in 2010 when it was in it's 3rd summer.
    {{gwi:305749}}
    This was taken tonight, it's 4th summer. So I would say it has about reached maturity for me.

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

Mari lu- So how many plants are in that very FIRST photo, and how many in the very LAST photo. These are gorgeous roses and just what I am looking for. Thanks so much for posting. I always enjoy your photos.
    -Sprout

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sprout, the first photo is 2 bushes. This very last photo is 1 bush.

I have other Easy Elegance roses too, and so far, of the ones I have planted they are all doing quite well.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Mary Lu, I'm in zone 8 - although hardy for us, our "zone 8" is much different than say a California zone 8...it's the humidity (well, not this year, we've had none!!!!) and now the heat. 95 or so for a solid month, every single day. Pretty much same thing as last year, so it could be the new "normal" (who knows?).
    BS and ability to flower consistantly in heat would be my biggest concern. That rose sure would be gorgeous in the area I am planning which will join the vegetable garden and orchard and medicinal herb area.

• mehearty
    12 years ago

I love my sunrise sunset! I too, wish I had planted more when I was planning my beds. It always has very little die back, very little blackspot (I don't spray), and tons of flowers all summer. The only problem I have is that the JBs love it.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Those are Gorgeous,that's the kind of rose bushes i love,lots of flowers and beautiful color.TFS
    Kathi

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I'm going to ask on the rose forum, Mary Lu

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Oh My, what gorgeous roses, are they very thorny?

Annette

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mehearty, I can't say one way or the other about the JBs, as so far I have only noticed a handful in my yard the last 2 years. Hope it stays that way!

GGG, I will have to check over there and see what they say. I would not want to be the one to "lead you astray"!

Annette, they have some thorns, but not nearly as bad as some of my other roses.

Yesteray and last night was really telling. We had rain all day, a nice soaking rain. But then about 5 PM the sky got so dark the solar garden lights came on and so did out dusk to dawn light. Then the rain and wind came. The rain was literally in sheets. There were tree leaves all over the lawn from the wind. It lasted about 10-15 minutes at the most and we got over a 1/4 inch of rain in that time. Tonight when I went out and looked at SS she was looking almost the same as last night when I took the picture. More buds had opened today and some spent bloom petals were on the ground but the bush had pretty much held it's shape. Many of my other bushes were really drooping tonight.

• cindysunshine
    12 years ago

Perfectly fabulous! I will remember this one for sure.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Some folks mention a yellow, and also the Paprika which are most BS tolerant. Apparently they do get BS. However, the color works great for me, and the local nursery 2 miles away carries them, so I'll see about riding my bike over there tomorrow and talking to the gals about them. I haven't ever seen them in stock there, (but the nursery name is on the website).

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GGG, you checked the Easy Elegance web site? I'm not familiar with a Paprika one, but yes there are several yellow also. I believe the yellow I purchased for my DD is Easy Elegance, but can't remember which one it was....sorry. I do know that there are many more EE roses than are listed on their web site. Every year they add a couple new ones. But do I know there are others as well because I have some EE's that are not listed. I think I may have saved a file of the ones when I was researching several years ago.

Hey, if you are still having such high temps, call first before you ride your bike 2 miles!!! Don't want you getting sun or heat stroke all because of a rose!

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Goodness, Mary Lu! I ride my bike that far EVERY day. It's my means of transportation. I never ride over 3 miles any single way - but these days to get anywhere you have to spend the time out in the heat. Big glasses, floppy hats, tons of water and some sun screen. As long as it is just a few hours I'm good. It only takes me 20 minutes to ride 2 miles.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh dear, you are a much better woman than me! The kids bought us bikes last summer but we haven't had much time to ride them yet this year. It had been almost 40 years since I had ridden a bike and did they laugh at me my first try. To say I was "wobbly" is putting it mildly!

• mandolls
    12 years ago

I am trying to figure out the size of them, but the photos dont have much to contextualize them. I am guessing about 3ft tall and 3x 4 ft wide/deep?

They are lovely, I havent seen a lot of shrub roses, I wonder if it could take a full blown zone 4 winter. (I'm in WI near Mpls)

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mandolls, yes you are about right. Though the one planted between 2 peonies is not as large. The peonies shade it and somewhat crowd it. I will take a pic tonight with something in it so you can tell size.

Not sure about Mpls, but we did have several nights last winter where we got down to -27 degrees.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting