Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milab_gw

Two plants I am enjoying lately

MilaB
10 years ago

I have never posted any pictures here before, and I am always in awe of the spectacular plants y'all post. These ones are not spectacular, they are just really pleasant, and a garden needs a few pleasant fillers between the spectacular plants, right? :) Anyway, a few neighbors have asked about these, so now I feel the urge to spread the word about their...pleasantness!

So first, is this Betony (Stachys humelo, related to lamb's ear). Even before it flowers, I really enjoy how it has a lush, compact shape. It always looks so nice and tidy, and helps balance things out when I feel like I have to many airy, feathery plants. And then the flowers are nice (not spectacular, but very nice!) and last forever and are very popular with bees and unpopular with pests. And they self seed in a nice way, not in an aggressive way, and just very easy to grow.

This post was edited by MilaB on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 9:20

Comments (13)

• joydveenc7
    10 years ago

Very pretty MilaB! It looks so nice with the lamb's ear, small daisy flowers and the yellow in the background.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Very pretty! You are so right about the need for something with that nice compact shape. Since I don't have full sun anywhere except the deck, I have used hosta for that, but I may just have to risk trying a Stachys next year-or maybe this if I come across one as lovely as yours are!

Now, what is the other plant? I will be looking for another picture from you soon! :)

• MilaB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cyn427, I have found they can take a little more shade than I expected. I have one growing in a fairly shady spot (next to some hostas!) and it is doing fine.

joydveenc7, the little daisy flowers are feverfew, another plant I could wax rhapsodic about. It self-seeds perhaps a little too freely, but I just love the way it looks popping up in odd places adding a bit of its sunniness.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Love the fan flowers, too! They are wonderful. I have three hanging baskets with scaevola on my deck every year. So carefree.

Your gardens are lovely!

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Love both gardens,purples are one of my very favorites in the gardens.
    Kathi

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Mila, I have Texas Betony, it's red, and you described it perfectly, not spectacular, just a nice plant to grow.

Your garden is so pretty!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

How very lovely your pictures are! Thank you for sharing them and the information too.
    kay

• MilaB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Texas betony is new to me, I had to google it! Very pretty. Ogrose, I would love to see a picture of yours.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Oh, I can only hope that my stachys hummelo get to look as great as yours. I've moved them about 3 times so I keep setting them back! Love the photos you've posted. Is that 2nd photo right at your front door/entryway? Beautiful!

• thinman
    10 years ago

Very pretty, Mila. I enjoy the Stachys hummelo too, though mine isn't blooming yet.

ThinMan

• MilaB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that is my front door with the lattices around it (there are Queen Elizabeth climbing roses growing on it, but you can't see them very well in that photo and they aren't in bloom right now). I am a VERY novice gardener, and I don't know what I was thinking starting my gardening adventures in my front yard where all my MANY mistakes were on view to everyone walking by. Thanks to all of you for your positive affirmation. Very much appreciated!

• memo3
    10 years ago

Lovely gardens and beautiful plants. I love the brick pathways you have threading through the plants! The only gardener you need to please is yourself so don't worry about what the neighbors think! Just enjoy the journey.

Sponsored