Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

a better pic of the owls

plantmaven
12 years ago

There are 3 a baby on the left, and adult on the right and another adult above the one on the right.

Not in the pic are 2 more babies.

Comments (13)

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

So cute, great picture! Owls are usually pretty shy. We haven't seen them here this year at all.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

That is so neat. And they are so cute.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Love them!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

How lucky you are. Bet they keep the mice and voles away too.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for looking. They are still out there today.
    I am concerned they might get the cardinal fledglings. Otherwise I am enjoying watching them.
    I did not know that owls' eyes are in a fixed position. They have to turn their heads to look at something.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

TFS I love seeing owls! I'm sure there are lots of owls here altho I'm not usually out when they are so seldom see them and rarely have my camera handy. I wish I could have gotten a pic of a great horned owl having a 'stand-off' with our large Maine Coon cat one evening. My DH grabbed the cat that time but later he was attacked, perhaps by the owl, and sustained injury and he then became an indoor-only cat.

• journalbee
    12 years ago

they are soo cute. lucky you for getting pics too.

• newbiehavinfun
    12 years ago

I guess it's like human parents, in reverse: instead of diurnal to nocturnal, these poor owl parents are up ALL DAY tending to their youngins!

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

This is so neat! The one on the left has the most endearing expression!

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

What sort of owls are they?

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know nothing about owls. But from some reach we think they are whiskered screech owls or eastern screech owls. My neighbor (a sportsman) looked at them and said they are about 7 inches tall. And that my dog is most likely bigger than they. She weighs 6 lbs.
    They were not out there this morning.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Oh, I hope they haven't left. They are soooo cute. I had a baby white one "crash" on my front porch one night. I think it had gotten confused and saw the light coming from inside and flew into our glass windows. When I went out it was just sitting there so I grabbed my camera. It was a baby white owl and left about an hour later. Sooooo cute though. Thanks for sharing, Judy

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope this does not offend anyone.

My mother used to tell a joke about an owl flying into a window.
    A vet lived in the house and took him in. He noticed he had bad tonsils and hemroids. So he took care of both. After he revived he fly back to his tree. A month later his owl friend from the other side of the forest came to visit. He looked down at the house and said, " I wonder what's going on down there?".
    The first owl said Don't go down there. I did once and now I can's..t worth a hoot or hoot worth a s..t.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm