Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

want ornamental grass that is not huge and invasive!

ilovemyroses
10 years ago

Cottage look, obviously! My dad has Mexican feather grass that I love size and look wise, but it has spread everywhere! Pink muhly looks interesting.

Also, I FEEL like I need to put grasses on the corners of beds, but can't, just unsure how to use grasses but realize I need some!

Ideas?!?

Comments (6)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Check out Santa Rosa Gardens site; I believe they are having a sale right now, have a good selection and they give the height. I've been happy with them.

Don't know if this grass is too large for you, but there are plenty of smaller grasses out there!

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Can't say how it would perform in your zone but I love my fountain grass - Pennisetum alopecuroides. Here it forms lovely clumps in full sun. Mine is well-behaved at either end of my granite garden bench (see photo below) as well as in one or two other beds, all divisions of the original plant. Give it a haircut in early spring each year, then just enjoy it the rest of the season.

{{gwi:199300}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Little Bluestem might work. It is a native that is heat and drought tolerant (once established). That is some on the left of the pic. Turns a nice copper-reddish in fall.

tj

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

tsugajunkie, sure do like that Little Bluestem, think I'll give that a try. Your yard is beautiful!

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

went searching at the nursery today and two were mentioned to me.

LIttle Bunny Dwarf Fountain Grass (Pennisetum alopecuroides) and the same latin name, but "hameln" variety.

The guy begged to differ that mexican feather grass spread, so I just left and thought Id ask here and research them, and so far it sounds good!!

How is it that, I suppose since I don't come in the nursery in dungarees and toting a hoe, that they assume I know nothing? Asked him a bit about Agastache and he assured me these are only available in the early spring as they are spring blooming plants. I pointed out that they are summer perennials, then when the reseeding came up, I decided to move on. but, I think he might have been right on these, they do look nice, smallish, and not spreaders. Last thing I need is another innocent looking grass (like you, little lemongrass pot) to turn into a might goliath that is attached to China!

Grrr, I think the heat is getting to me!!

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

One thing I have been wanting for years is ,first a good size head that is open at the top and will withstand the weather and some grass that I see around here that is blond color.I think that would be so cool to marry those 2 together.I don't know what the grass is called,i do know that it is available in our area.But I need to get the head first without having to spend my whole ss check to get it.
    Kathi

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH