Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

peonies starting....

mary_lu_gw
12 years ago

We are a little behind this year, what with all the cold weather we have had. Now we are having hot weather and everything is really starting to pop!

These are the peonies I split and moved a year ago last fall. Then last spring I replanted them along the new driveway. So considering all 14 peonies came from 4 original bushes, and were moved twice (once in fall and again last spring) I think they are doing pretty darn good. Only 4-5 of the 14 bushes have open blooms now, so many more to come!

This rose is always the first to bloom and it blooms right along with the peony beside it!

Comments (19)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Both views are so pretty.

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Nice! - looking forward to mine opening. They look close. I need to divide and move mine, so its reassuring to see that yours have transitioned so well.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

that rose and peony combo is superb!

• bellarosa
    12 years ago

Beautiful! What's the name of the rose and the peony?

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

The roses and the peonies are really lovely.
    kay

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Even more opened today, but it has been so windy that they look a little rough.

bellarosa, the peony is an old one that I got as a division from the farm I grew up on. The rose is Cuthbert Grant, an Explorer rose.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

update: taken just this morning with laundry on the line

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

I bet the neighbors slow down and enjoy the view. I know I would :).
    Wow, you can hang laundry in a front yard - my HOA would flip!
    Love the brick around your sidewalk, and the peonies are just gorgeous! Do you stake them?

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

natalie, that is our back yard. :-) We have an alley and that is what you are seeing. We live on a corner, so basically we have a road on three sides!

Also as we live in an old section of town, no HOA!

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

this is a different view of the yard, looking toward the alley. As you can see in the bed closer to the camera, there are many more peonies yet to bloom! There are 30+ peony bushes in our yard.

This is one of my favorite single peonies. It is along the sidewalk and is really putting on a show right now. I love how the blooms are darker when first open and then age lighter. It gives the bush a two-tone look.

close up of blooms

• serenae
    12 years ago

Oh they are so nice! I love peonies. I got some that were divided from a friend's, but they didn't bloom this year - hopefully next year they will! I think that's expected though?

• eightzoner
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Peonies always take me immediately back to my grandmother's tiny front yard in Calgary, Alberta. Bittersweet memories.

Your peonies have such gorgeous form -- how do you support them. Whatever you do, it looks very natural.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

serenae, yes normally the first year or even 2 after planting they may not bloom. If they are older bushes your chances are better for blooms. New or young bushes may take a few years.

eightzoner, all natural! :-) No supports. They do flop but I just never seem to find time, at the right time, to put supports around them.

• eightzoner
    12 years ago

Mine never seem to last more than a day or two until the rain lays them flat...the joys of the Wet Coast.

• natal
    12 years ago

I've never seen so many peonies! They're beautiful!

They don't grow down here, but I remember a single bush in our Indiana back yard. My mom would float blooms in a cut glass bowl.

• journalbee
    12 years ago

your peonies are beautiful. we just planted some. so they have a bloom on them.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Mary Lu, what beautiful pictures! All the peonies look amazing considering the moves. Nice job!

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Thirty peonies would put on quite a show. Mine aren't quite open yet, but soon. What is the name of that beautiful pink single you have? I really like that one, too.

• serenae
    12 years ago

Thanks for answering mary lu! Here's hoping for next year. Maybe I'll plant some more like you have.

Sponsored