Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peonies starting....

Posted by mary_lu zone 4/5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 22:53

We are a little behind this year, what with all the cold weather we have had. Now we are having hot weather and everything is really starting to pop!

These are the peonies I split and moved a year ago last fall. Then last spring I replanted them along the new driveway. So considering all 14 peonies came from 4 original bushes, and were moved twice (once in fall and again last spring) I think they are doing pretty darn good. Only 4-5 of the 14 bushes have open blooms now, so many more to come!
Photobucket

This rose is always the first to bloom and it blooms right along with the peony beside it!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peonies starting....

Both views are so pretty.

o

Nice! - looking forward to mine opening. They look close. I need to divide and move mine, so its reassuring to see that yours have transitioned so well.

o

that rose and peony combo is superb!

o

Beautiful! What's the name of the rose and the peony?

o

The roses and the peonies are really lovely.
kay

o

Thanks everyone! Even more opened today, but it has been so windy that they look a little rough.

bellarosa, the peony is an old one that I got as a division from the farm I grew up on. The rose is Cuthbert Grant, an Explorer rose.

o

update: taken just this morning with laundry on the line

Photobucket

o

I bet the neighbors slow down and enjoy the view. I know I would :).
Wow, you can hang laundry in a front yard - my HOA would flip!
Love the brick around your sidewalk, and the peonies are just gorgeous! Do you stake them?

o

natalie, that is our back yard. :-) We have an alley and that is what you are seeing. We live on a corner, so basically we have a road on three sides!

Also as we live in an old section of town, no HOA!

o

this is a different view of the yard, looking toward the alley. As you can see in the bed closer to the camera, there are many more peonies yet to bloom! There are 30+ peony bushes in our yard.
Photobucket
This is one of my favorite single peonies. It is along the sidewalk and is really putting on a show right now. I love how the blooms are darker when first open and then age lighter. It gives the bush a two-tone look.
Photobucket
close up of blooms
Photobucket

o

Oh they are so nice! I love peonies. I got some that were divided from a friend's, but they didn't bloom this year - hopefully next year they will! I think that's expected though?

o

Gorgeous! Peonies always take me immediately back to my grandmother's tiny front yard in Calgary, Alberta. Bittersweet memories.

Your peonies have such gorgeous form -- how do you support them. Whatever you do, it looks very natural.

o
no supports

serenae, yes normally the first year or even 2 after planting they may not bloom. If they are older bushes your chances are better for blooms. New or young bushes may take a few years.

eightzoner, all natural! :-) No supports. They do flop but I just never seem to find time, at the right time, to put supports around them.

o

Mine never seem to last more than a day or two until the rain lays them flat...the joys of the Wet Coast.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 16:44

I've never seen so many peonies! They're beautiful!

They don't grow down here, but I remember a single bush in our Indiana back yard. My mom would float blooms in a cut glass bowl.

o

your peonies are beautiful. we just planted some. so they have a bloom on them.

o

Mary Lu, what beautiful pictures! All the peonies look amazing considering the moves. Nice job!

o

Beautiful! Thirty peonies would put on quite a show. Mine aren't quite open yet, but soon. What is the name of that beautiful pink single you have? I really like that one, too.

o

Thanks for answering mary lu! Here's hoping for next year. Maybe I'll plant some more like you have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here