Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Peonies....about full bloom in the yard

mary_lu_gw
12 years ago

This is about as peak full bloom as I am going to get. There are a couple bushes yet to open, but others that opened earlier are starting to wind down. The scent is intoxicating when walking in the yard. Just love it. I only wish the bloom time lasted longer. This year is even shorter than usual because we went from quite cool weather to extrememly hot weather almost over night. The blooms are opening fast and not lasting as long as usual.

These were taken in the evening light causing a blue cast.

Comments (13)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Wow! Just so beautiful. You are such a talented gardener! Thanks for sharing this with us.

• eightzoner
    12 years ago

Really stunning. So lush and beautiful.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The blooms will not last long this year. Yesterday it was in the low 90's, today mid-90's and tomorrow it will be in the upper 90's. Heat indexs over 100 degrees. I'm afraid the blooms just won't take that kind of heat. Oh well. Beautiful while they last. Even the white ones, which usually open about a week later than the others are opening today.

We left on Saturday morning for the weekend and returned last evening. I couldn't believe how many roses opened in just that short time. With this heat they will open fast an also not last long.

Sure is a goofy year for weather this year. We went from winter to mid-summer temps within one week. Last week I was burning the pellet stove to take the chill out of the house. This week the air conditioner is running!

• natal
    12 years ago

Mary lu, this is the first time I've noticed the fleur de lis pickets on your fence. How cool! Did your dh make them?

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Gosh, very beautiful. Peonies are my favorite I think. The fence is very special,too.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

natal, yes DH made the picket fence. I drew the pattern and he cut out all the pickets.

schoolhouse, DH teases me because I won't let him help weed around the peonies. He says I must be afraid he will damage them in some way. Guess they are my "babies" as they were originally my great-grandmothers, who gave divisions to my grandmother, who gave divisions to my mother, who in turn gave divisions to my sister who gave me divisions. I have moved them to 3 different houses. So in truth they go back almost 100 years.

I just checked the weather and it is 96 degrees and heat index of 103! We came in to cool off and take a "rest". I was pruning the fence, but the garden room gets so hot in the afternoon. The rest will have to wait until early tomorrow morning. We are both on vacation this week.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Just beautiful! I know what you mean about the cooler weather. Ours were gorgeous at first and then BOOM here comes the heat. Same way with the tulips. Thanks for sharing your beauties, Judy

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Thank you.
    Renee

• mandolls
    12 years ago

I especially like the yellow iris mixed in. I think I'll have to try that, since I have both that need dividing this year. - Thanks

• rafor
    12 years ago

Really gorgeous!! I moved last year and have to start the garden over again. Planted 2 peonies a few weeks ago but it will take them a while to get as large as the ones I had at my previous house. After I planted the 2 new ones, I discovered a few old plants practically buried by grass further out in the yard. One of them is about to bloom too. It was a nice surprise :)

Also really like your fence. Very French cottagey (is that even a word!!!).Spellcheck is saying no, but I'm ignoring it.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Peonies are so worth planting, even thought hey last such short time. Yours are gorgeous - thank you for sharing!

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! TFS

I moved all my peonies this year so likely won't get a bloom - I'll just have to enjoy everyone else's!

• natal
    12 years ago

natal, yes DH made the picket fence. I drew the pattern and he cut out all the pickets.

Great collaborative effort!!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting