Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanitycheck_gw

My cottage visitors

sanitycheck
11 years ago

I bet none of you have these in your cottage garden. We have really enjoyed watching them.

Comments (30)

• ptpulley
    11 years ago

Oh, are they cute!!

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Neat, neat picture!!

• mytime
    11 years ago

that is soooo cool!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh, lucky you! After my initial thought about how cool and cute those owls are, I realized, I really do wish we had a few hanging out around here to help me with my chipmunk issues! :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

How special. Screech owls?

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

What a great picture.

Last year we had a family in our backyard tree. We were wondering if we would see them again this year.
    We haven't even heard the big owl that comes from the greenbelt jogging area.

• natal
    11 years ago

That's a great pic! I've only seen them high up in trees.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

That is so cool, The only owl I've seen is a Snowy Owl, late one night sitting on a street light across the road.

Annette

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    11 years ago

That really is awesome!! Owls are so beautiful. After reading the entire Harry potter series I'm sure I'd love one of my own :)

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Those are sooooooooooooo cute.Wish we had some to help with the gopher problems.
    Kathi

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

I am sooooo envious!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Too cute! They're just little fluffy babies. I love them.
    Renee

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Very cute but not friendly to the songbirds that come to my yard. I'm losing songbirds to the neighbor's cats which climb over their chain link fence and hide amongst my bushes and flowers in wait.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Very nice!

Schoolhouse - They look to me like just fledged barred owls, though without more of a scale reference I am not sure.

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

We have owls, but I've never seen a baby owl before. How cute are they? It's wonderful you got such a super photo. You should submit that photo to Birds and Blooms, it is just so good!

• georgeneschreiner
    11 years ago

We occasionally have 1 owl and sometimes a hawk, but we have never had babies of either!

• DYH
    11 years ago

AMAZING! They are so beautiful and regal! I wish we had more owls around here.

Cameron

• ianna
    11 years ago

cute and stunning at the same time.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

nhbabs, you are probably right. Barn owls are white aren't they? I've only seen one of those in my life and it was when I was a kid. Around my area, we have screech owls which are smaller.

• sanitycheck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are barred owls. We have considered ourselves lucky to have them. Was so funny, one night my grandsons whole ball team came and watched them. I had never seen those boys so quiet. Its not often in your life that you even get to see an owl so this is a a sweet blessing.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Do you know where the nest was? I saw a baby screech owl sitting in my old birdhouse once, trying to get out of the rain. He looked so miserable. Anyway, I think you are so privileged to have your owls.

• molie
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness! Very cool! I just happened to check out this site after a suggestion on the New England forum. That is an amazing photo, Sanityheck. Will they continue to visit your yard? (I know nothing about owls.) How lucky that your grandson and his team could see and enjoy these elusive creatures.
    Molie

• molie
    11 years ago

Sorry --- I left out the "C" in Sanitycheck.
    Molie

• thinman
    11 years ago

Those are just awesome. It's so rare to see one owl, let alone two. Thanks for showing us.

ThinMan

• sanitycheck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They just get cuter by the night...lol.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

WOW! WOW! WOW! You are soooo lucky! A baby barred owl at your birdbath?!?! Amazing. We have a pair in the woods just behind our house but I've never seen them. This year they sound like an old married couple doing a lot of bickering! It's hilarious to listed to them. We usually would hear the typical "who cooks for you, who cooks for you aaaaaaawwwwwwl" call of theirs, but this year they've changed it up a bit and banter back and forth with each other with all sorts of fun hoots and hollers. WISH we could actually see them. I love these photos and can't wait to share them with my DH and son!

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Just great photos. I too am in Zone 5 Michigan and this year I have a family of Northern Goshawks that screetch for hours at each other. Wish we had your owls even tho' they would probably keep as many of our birds away from our feeders and baths as the hawks are. Amazing how many birds are missing.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Pat

• tempusflits
    11 years ago

They are gorgeous. What a treat.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Those pics would be wonderful for Birds&Blooms!!!! I heard owls in the forest behind my property all last spring/summer! Never got to see them tho! Thanks for sharing these lovely pics!!!

• User
    11 years ago

Fantastic pictures,..you are lucky to have those two visitors,..it would be great if you could figure where they nested and look after that spot then you would have permanent residents,..they are beautiful birds.

Philip

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor