Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

How did you spend your weekend?

mary_lu_gw
11 years ago

My weekend was mostly working in the garden. The bittersweet vine on the fence was really out of control. There were vines as long as 3-4 feet reaching out! Way past time to prune it back. Also all of the roses needed deadheading/pruning in the yard. As the weather was forecast to be quite warm (low 90's) I got up both days at 5:30 AM and worked until around noon. Then came in to the AC and showered and took a nap.

Didn't get an overall shot of the yard, but here is one of the fence after pruning. If you look close you can see that I had not yet cleaned up after pruning (too hot so waited until this evening to do that)

So, did your weekend include gardening?

Comments (12)

• cindysunshine
    11 years ago

That looks great, Mary Lu hard work always feels good when you are finished. I have a harder time working that many hours in a row every year. Now you can enjoy your effort!

Here it was primarily mulch and water. We put down 10 yards the weekend before and did 6 more this weekend. It looks so good with it all finished. We are so dry. It rained constantly in April and then we haven't had any rain at all in over 5 weeks and it's been so warm. I ran the sprinklers on the main borders around the house but ultimately you just keep things alive.

I did some rose deadheading and yanked most of the rose campion which start to get scraggly. And we are harvesting loads of spinach and lettuce, my husband got up his electric fence around the corn it's been the only successful mechanism to deterring those darned coons!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Nice job on the pruning. It was too hot here to do much outside. I did mow yesterday before noon, but with only a small patch under the mock orange shrub left to do the self propel function on my Lawnboy "locked up". Couldn't go forward or drag it backwards. Crap. I admit I cursed and pushed it anyway and finished but not without the mower making some weird noises. So off it goes to the shop this morning. Lifting it up into the trunk of the car is the hardest part - no wait - getting it back OUT of the trunk is the hardest part. ha.

Anyhow, that's all I accomplished. Hallelujah, it looks like rain today; so after (and if) it does I'll go out afterwards and put some compost and mulch down in one border where the soil dries out so badly.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I envy you ladies getting to work in your gardens. Sounds like yall got alot accomplished and your pruning looks great Mary Lu.
    I finally got most of my stuff moved here and nothing is where it's supposed to be & boxes are everywhere (most unlabeled)! So...I unpacked a few boxes and then spent hours & hours working with clock experts online trying to get my grandfather clock working again after the move. It's still not right! I know nothing about clocks, but they did everything they could to talk me through it. Guess it's time for a repairman so there goes my gardening money!
    It rained a good bit here, but I did manage a couple walk-abouts in the garden and did the deadheading.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Your yard looks great Mary Lu!

Great minds must think alike! I did exactly the same this weekend, got up at 5:30 to try to beat the heat; by 10am it was about 82 Degrees, but the humidity has been about 60%, and that's what's killing me, just can't handle it anymore like I used to.

It seems like I spend most of the time fighting weeds, and had two large clumps of Dallis grass that had to come out, our yards took such a beating after last summer. Luckily I have mulch down in the flower beds, or it would be a lot worse.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Mary Lu- Your garden is beautiful!

Mine is full of grass and dandelions...but it is green. This has been the spring of almost constant rain. We are not in Seattle (other side of state) but you would not know it, by this weather. It rains almost every day and the soil doesn't get a chance to dry out enough to plant anything. Today is supposed to be 71 degrees and sunny...but rain again, on Tuesday.

Friday, the horses got into their summer pasture and we spent the morning getting them back out...fixing the fence and getting them into another pasture. There's been so much rain, we can't get across the creek to check the fences...so they can't go into that pasture until we know the electric is working.

Sorry, for those not getting rain...but I'd be happy to share some of ours!

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

mary lu, it always looks just beautiful!

I spent Saturday selling plants at our last plant sale of summer at church. It went really well because of all the garage sales in the community the very same day. We've made record sales again this year, thanks to a beautiful, long planting season and some rain.

Our gardeners are so wonderful with their customers!

• DYH
    11 years ago

Your garden looks amazing, Mary Lu!

We started Friday morning doing a house building walk-through with our daughter-in-law because my son was working in Virginia....lunched with her...then:

My stepson got married this weekend! Rehearsal and dinner on Friday evening. Wedding on Saturday. Overnight guests stayed until late Sunday. Today...helped the newlyweds midday, then we're heading for another dinner with his cousins who flew in from California and Texas. Tomorrow, they go on a honeymoon...we take them to the airport and we keep their dog for 7 days.

Back to the other daughter-in-law...she's graduating from a fellowship at Duke (she's an anesthesiologist) on this Saturday and we're helping she and my son move on the following Saturday.

Not much time for gardening right now!

Cameron

• thinman
    11 years ago

Your garden looks so great, as always, Mary Lu. I really like your sundial --- very elegant!

Most of my weekend was also spent in the garden, or probably more correctly, the field. It was fairly hot here, but there was a good breeze both days, and I got several hundred transplants in, including celosia (Cramer's Amazon and Flamingo Purple), rudbeckia (Cherokee Sunset), and gomphrena (bicolor). Also seeded some shell beans and green beans.

Our first farmer's market is this coming Saturday and I won't have much to sell except for some basil plants that I started, just so I'd have something to sell.

Cottage garden-wise, not so much, though I did take a photo of a few foxgloves in the garden by our front door. They are Camelots. Wanna see?

Cheers to all.
    TM

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

How did you spend your weekend?

Watching the rain fall in sheets for 48 hours. Went to a concert Saturday and the opera on Sunday - walked to both under my umbrella.

Monday morning went to work - under the umbrella.
    Monday evening home from work - under the umbrella.

Did I mention it's been raining?

Forecast for the rest of this week - rain, rain, rain.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds like everyone is busy, whether it be gardening or other activities. We have been very dry so was very thankful to get 1/3 inch of rain last night!

This will be short as I ended up going to the doctor this afternoon. My right wrist is very painful, swollen and red. The doc suspects tendonitis so started me on anti-inflammatory meds. However....he took a marker and drew around the red, swollen area and then drew dots further out from there. Told me that if in the next couple days the swelling or redness spreads, I need to get back in to see him. I get to go to work and look like a kindergartner using a marker to draw on herself!

Guess it was just too much wielding of the hedge pruner for me!

• mandolls
    11 years ago

I am lucky enough to have a non stop weekend all summer. My summer school class didnt go, so I have been getting up 5-5:30 every day and spending at least 4 hours in the gardens. You would think I would have gotten more done than I have, but when I look out the window, I only see lots more to do! This is the year when those "big projects" might actually get done. The focus so far has been the kitchen garden, but my big shade garden, lost a shade tree last year, and really needs to be completely revamped, and most of it moved. I have decided to finally fence in the whole yard, and I am thinking I am going to do it all myself - thats going to be a lot of sweat, but my sandy soil makes for easy post hole digging. As long as we dont get a lot of killer heat I expect a very productive 3 month weekend.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

MaryLu, nice pic! Hope your wrist gets better.

This weekend I went to a nursery, then another nursery, and then on Sunday to another nursery. Pretty much what I do most weekends! I was fairly controlled though and only picked up 3 shrubs and 1 perennial. Mostly just browsed. For any shrub-lovers out there, check out Physocarpus 'Little Devil'. Such a cute, compact shrub!

I did some weeding in the garden and started to prune all the suckers from my bridal wreath spirea. It has gotten out of control after a number of years. But mostly I perused nurseries and sipped lemonade in the backyard since we had rain the whole week prior. I just wanted to enjoy the garden and not work in it like crazy like I normally do. My folks are coming up next week and they are workhorses in the garden so we have lots of big projects planned. Guess that's why I'm being extra lazy now!