Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardwellave

I need your ideas! / Can't leave well enough alone!

cardwellave
12 years ago

Since my backyard gets very little sun, I am thinking of doing some more sun gardens out front. I have a large lot and a lot of dead space (grass!) on the one side. Here's some pictures, all ideas welcome! Provided some of the rest of the yard to give you an idea of my style and how it is already. Definitely thinking of doing it in the lasagna style as I am done with tearing out sod!

Also next summer I would like to open up the enclosed porch and might do new siding, in a pale yellow or at least paint what's there (even though I just had it painted last year).

Sorry 4 of the 5 pictures are blurry.

Comments (15)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Oh, I think that is crying out for a garden. It looks like a fairly good sized space. I would have the construction and painting done before planting. Your plants will be smaller when they come and do the work and could get smushed... it will make the job so much easier to do.
    Then I personally would start smaller and do this job over two years. I'd start with the foundation beds and plants against the fence, then put in some paths as I was building the beds...work paths the size a wheelbarrow can navigate. The area is very flat, if you'd like it to be visible from the street how about considering berming some areas up a bit (especially in front of the fence) so that it is so easy to view. If you'd rather it be more secretive, then of course that's not such a great idea :)

I think this garden will be gorgeous, you've done such a beautiful job on everything already!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Are you going to make the porch open or screened? I would love to screen in my patio.

This is my front yard. Maybe you can get an idea or two. These pictures were from a couple years ago. I now have brick around the beds where the black rubber edging was.

{{gwi:685626}}

{{gwi:677179}}

{{gwi:690376}}

Brick edging. The man put down a layer of concrete, put a brick on top of the concrete. Once all the bricks were in he spread concrete on top...like frosting a cake.

Kathy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I think your ideas are great! I love, love, love your bungalow and it really does cry our for a garden on the side! I agree-do the painting first and then the planting, but that is easy if you do a lasagna-method bed. What a wonderful space. Now I can look forward to your pictures NEXT year as well as the in-progress shots!

• luckygal
    12 years ago

A cottage style garden is perfect for the style of your cute home!

This year I'd enlarge the bed around the tree by laying down cardboard and mulch. You can plant or not in it this year altho if you choose to plant you need to remove the sod in those areas. One way to plan it is to use a hose to lay out the design of the bed.

Next year remove the shrubs near the house, paint the house, amend the soil where the shrubs were as it will likely be depleted from the shrubs, then make a larger free-form bed including the lantern and tree bed you did this year. The grass will be decomposed in the area you do this year and it will be easy to plant in. You can plan a mulched/stepping stone path thru the bed nearer the house if needed.

Before painting the house it would be worthwhile to pot up as many plants as possible so they are not damaged.

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

I'd encourage you to try to plan for paths first.

We tilled up a large bit of our side yard and I just temporarily put in two straight paths...then I planted so now the temporary straight paths are kind of stuck there!

Do you want a path out front from the door that way? Or are you thinking of a bed next to the house or an island bed? I do like island beds, but they do mean more edging and potentially trickier mowing.

I would probably go for a bed that includes the tree off to the side--but it is hard to tell how much space that is. maybe too much?

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

My first thought when I saw the tree in the middle of the lawn was to create an island bed that incorporates the tree either at one end or slightly off-center. I'd curve the edges of the bed for easier mowing. I created my own island bed in a similar area of my garden that I designed to attract butterflies & hummingbirds. As luckygal suggested, a garden hose is a great way to lay out the shape and will give you a visual idea of how it will look.

• on_greenthumb
    12 years ago

As a starter piece, I'd try and attach the tree bed to the house with a large circle and join up to those clipped hedges...you could then enlarge and go as you fully decide what you like. I love that fence and can't wait to see when those plants are fully mature!!!

• onederw
    12 years ago

Cardwellave, you have received excellent advice so far, especially regarding figuring out the paths and laying out the shape of large beds with a garden hose. The only additional suggestion I would make is in your planning, consider the relationship of your house to the street -- lemme guess -- would that be Cardwell Avenue? If there is a walkway to the street, it doesn't show in your photos. If you want to make a walkway, its placement and its edges may help you define the location and the shape of your beds.

Kay

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Find out what is underneath before you dig or remove existing shrubs or trees because they may have roots down around:

water, gas, electrical, phone, or TV cable lines
    septic tanks or sewer pipes

Plan ahead for possible uses of the green lawn so you still have enough straight space for bocce ball, croquet, etc. Our son reminds me every time I expand or make new beds that take away some of the lawn.

Good tip to lay out outline with hose. I've also used pots empty or filled to visualize the height as I have to see it and can't envision it.

Walk the area, sit in a chair in various spots, check the views, & over several days decide where the lines should be for garden, lawn, porch, etc.

Since the street is on one side think about possible entry from kids on bikes, stray balls, & noise pollution from cars.

Think about all the seasons & how your gardens will affect snow & leaf removal, lawn mowing, getting amendments to the garden, harvesting herbs, etc.

Before I had paths & more garden beds in the front yard I didn't go in it unless I was mowing, playing a game with the kids, or pulling weeds. Now, I look out every day, walk it, & enjoy the space.

Another factor is air quality - from street, or neighbors...

Neither were a problem for 15 years until neighbors moved in who smoked on their porch & used burn barrels in front & back yard. Three adult drivers + their frequent guests driving on gravel drive that passes our house 1st, then cigarette smoke increased as they visited... Prevailing wind carried smoke across lawn to our home & even up over house & into the back yard. If any window open would suck it right into the house. Now I can go right outside without checking if the "smoke was clear", wearing a bandana, or carrying an inhaler.

Something I took for granted -- clean air -- has returned because they moved away in January. I'm delighted we could scrap our plans to build a screen & hedge between us because I prefer the open space instead. I didn't think it would work very well anyway unless we planted more trees & our septic is in the middle of the lawn. Our only other option would be to move & I'm so glad they did instead!

• aimeekitty
    12 years ago

boy, I would put a huge bed up there and get rid of a great deal of the grass. I'd look at some books from your library on gardening to get some ideas of what you, yourself, like the best. there are even some on "front yards" I think! Check it out! a lot of people are replacing mor eof their yard with plants instead of grass now. and this is not me being green or whatever... when I saw that first picture, my brain just immediately yelled, boy! what a great big space to put a gorgeous flower bed!

course I'm crazy, I'd cover your yard in roses.

• cardwellave
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey all I posted this before when I was going on vacation. I am back now and back to thinking of it. My budget is really low right now so I am truly just planning right now.

I have rethought doing much painting or construction in the near future so I would prefer to start this garden. I am not sure really how to do beds, I love my fence and beds there but I am not sure how to tie them in to other things. I would love to do more stuff with a picket fence, even one by the street but not sure how that would look/tie in. I am also sort of not sure how to do the side....etc. Specific suggestions are welcome!

This shows a vague idea of what I'm working with. I would love to do two trees (sugar maples?) in the easement. I showed those on the drawing.

• ianna
    12 years ago

I was wondering if you can move your picket fence further and closer to the sidewalk. It's blocking the view of waht could be a really nice garden space in front of your house.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Cardwellave- What a great space! It's going to be a lovely garden, but be sure to include some seating...so you can relax and enjoy your new space :)

• natal
    12 years ago

Have you considered continuing the picket fence across the entire width of the yard and then running it along the side property line to the chain link fence in the back? That would provide a larger defined planting area for planting flowers and veggies.

A former poster here turned his front yard into a stunning cottage garden. Here are a few pics.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

{{gwi:668276}}

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Natal,
    Thanks for sharing those pics that shows a great way to divide the lot at the slope. I'm curious what was done on the slope?

OP doesn't contend with a slope, but does have a lot of ground to cover toward the street so dividing it up changes the look of things and could provide some privacy out front.