Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cedarglen_gw

Pictures of my garden

cedarglen
12 years ago

Hello! I've been meaning to post pictures for a very long time. I am a frequent lurker here, but I seldom post anything because my busy toddler usually interrupts my efforts :). I did post some last summer, but since I'm always making changes it seems the garden is different every year. Well, another reason for the evolution is that we had a cold winter and I lost a bunch of plants, so I've had to look on the bright side and add more! I have a big space - basically a few open acres within a 5 acre treed parcel. This is my 3rd summer gardening here, and before our arrival there was no garden. The previous owners managed to live here for thirty years without a single flower! Then, just before selling, they basically did a clear cut and left a gigantic mess. So, my garden is a work in progress, and it's a good thing that I love to do it because I may have bitten off more than I can chew :). I've made very large beds, and of course I have many plans for more. All of that said, here are some pictures! It's fun to share them with a group of people who enjoy gardens - we don't have visible neighbors, and it seems that all of my visitors (excluding my mom) are somewhat indifferent to gardening.

">

A Golden Hops vine on my veggie garden fence. I would like to cover this fence with more of it next year, along with some climbing roses and clematis.

A bed in my rather neglected vegetable garden... but, of course, I have big plans for next year!

A current project - we just added this river rock. The space waited for it for about a year. Unfortunately, I need a bit more to finish it.

The backyard...

One of my new areas. Not very impressive yet, but I'm hoping it will fill in next year.

Comments (24)

• cedarglen
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know why the pictures are so big - sorry! Clearly, I'm a rookie at this.

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

WOW!!!! You have put a LOT of work into those areas and they look fantastic!!
    I especially like your monarda and alsteoemaria (orange-gold flowers?) Combination- gorgeous!!!
    I also like your shade bed and the second-to last pic with your river rocks, although all your areas are nice. :)
    What is the fluffyish pink/white plant on the right in that picture?
    Are the tiny tin buckets in stakes tealight holders?
    What is the name of your raspberry-colored Astilbe.
    Thanks for sharing :)

• Cher
    12 years ago

You have lovely gardens and your time and effort show how much you are enjoying it.
    Cher

• lavendrfem
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful - the house and the gardens already!

I felt like I was in a botanical garden - keep us posted - I'd love to see it as it progresses.

Etelle

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I perfer the large pictures.
    You have really done a lot and it is so pretty. I have not grown monarda in years. I may try it again.
    Your hostas are pretty. I have one in my yard that was here when I bought my house in 07. They are not normally grown her in TX.

How could someone live 30 years with out flowers!

Kathy

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

No, No. the pictures are the right size. I love your house and your garden. Think how much fun you are having and are going to have. A garden that you get to create from the beginning.

Your garden is beautiful I love the mix of plants. And the rocks are gorgeous. I love it all.
    kay

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

I think the pictures are a good size too.
    Holy Cow! Only your 3rd season?! I can't wait to see what your property looks like after you've had your hands on it for 30 years. Those previous owners have no idea what they were missing. I love your beds and the house. I am still in awe over how full everything looks for such a young garden. Nice job!!!

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

The OP'S are correct,your pictures ARE NOT too big,as some of us,have older eyes and we need that size.Speaking only for myself of course.

You're off to a roarin' good start,as everything is beautiful,i love what you have done so far.So keep the pictures coming.
    TFS
    Kathi

• Annie
    12 years ago

Now, that is what I was talking about in my topic - having those immense alpine forests for a backdrop. What a beautiful location. Love those river rocks too.

I love it! I Love it! I LOVE IT!
    Your weedy places look better than my flower gardens! Don't complain!!!

My ideal place, house and garden! In my dreams...

Congratulations! Awesome Cottage and Cottage Garden. You don't want to finish it. What's the fun in that?

I like that size of photo - you can see all the details. All the little things that you couldn't see in a reduced size.

Keep 'em coming!

~Annie

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I can't believe what you have accomplished in such a short time. Everything is beautiful and so healthy looking. Thanks for the eye candy!

• frogview00
    12 years ago

Are you a garden designer? That is gorgeous! Each photo is better than the previous.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    12 years ago

Exquisite. Thank you.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

You have a real talent for layering plants. Brava!
    Renee

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing a feast for the eyes just the right size for us to really see it all. My favorite pic is the Astilbe in between the Monarda shot (4th from end). How much sun does that area have?

Your gardens are very lush & a testament to the time you've spent in them.

Did you know about a free plant swap held in spring & fall in Redmond, WA? If it's not too far of a drive for you there are always lots of plants absolutely free!

Here is a link that might be useful: free plant swaps

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

How could anyone be indifferent to your beautiful garden??!

Reminds me of why I love your part region of Washington so much...it is lush and green even in summer!!! I agree, you have a gift for placement and color in the garden cedarglen. I especially like that bed with all the dark foliage sedums, smoke bush, and chocolate Joe Pye! Those river rocks make a nice statement too.

LOL! Never fear about that hops vine not growing more. My golden hops is several years old and has covered five trellis panels on the house. I measured the longest vine and it was twenty feet!! I bet that next year yours will have at least doubled in size! ;-)

Please make sure to post more often! Your garden is a wonderful treat for the eyes.
    CMK

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    12 years ago

Wow! Stunningly beautiful! How lucky you got a house that goes so well with your gardens :-). Your Monarda (Jacob Cline?) is thriving. Makes me think I should start more in a sunnier spot. What a dream location you have, and I'm bowled over that it's been only three years. It looks like it's been there much longer. Thanks for sharing.

• grandmachris
    12 years ago

Cedarglen,

What an eye for color you have!! Each picture contains a
    slice of the spectrum!! What a treat for my eyes.

I share with you ample space and an open area with woods around (also fields and pastures) but I'm in a very different area (Indiana/Ohio boundary)

I'm so pleased to see that some of the plants that need or
    take lots of space are included in your combinations. That is a luxury that you and I have that small garden folks do not have. I'm speaking of the lysimachia gooseneck, the
    wild Joe Pye weed, the plume poppy Macleya cordata. They are so beautiful when they have the proper home.

I'm going to refer your pictures to my daughter who has a home in the Cascades. She's mostly using the native lupines and foxgloves that are there.

Thanks for the pictures

• cedarglen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much everyone! It was such a treat to log on and read all of these kind messages. Now, I'll try to answer some of the questions:

CtC - The fluffy pink flower is just thyme. I was surprised by how pretty it actually is - I'd like to include more of it in my rock garden. I'll have to take some cuttings soon to see if I can get them started. I'm not sure about the name of that astilbe - I get most of my plants from friends, sale racks, or plant sales, so they aren't always carefully labeled. That's one downside of being a bargain hunter!

Not sure if you were serious or just making me smile, Frogview, but no, I'm not a garden designer. I'm actually a high school literacy teacher. Also a mom, of course - my most important job :).

Corrine, I'll have to check out that plant swap in Redmond. I'm in Bellingham, but I grew up in Redmond. I would love to come down for the swap! I always need more plants...

Most of you can probably guess my main trick for beds that fill in quickly - fast growers! I've come to love bee balm(mondarda), as I'm sure you can see, because it covers an area quickly and looks good for so long. However, it has been pretty easy for me to control because it basically just expands in diameter each year... and the hummingbirds love it. We have them in swarms.

My other trick involves my horse - lots of manure. Not for the squeamish, but I've learned firsthand that manure is like rocket fuel for gardens. I actually just built most of that front garden last spring (the one with the monarda, alstromeria, smoke bush...), and I started by heaping loads of manure on the bare, rocky space. It was about a foot deep in places. I used to bemoan this detail of owning horses, but now I actually appreciate it. Who knew. I've read many articles that say horse manure isn't for gardens because it creates weeds, but this has not been the case for me.

Thank you for the compliments about my house and site too. We fell in love with this place the moment we walked down the driveway. It had actually sat on the market for almost two years - can you believe it? The main drawback probably involved all of the gigantic (camper sized) brush piles and stumps. Fortunately, I'm married to a pretty handy, hard worker :). My husband grew up in the midwest and helped his family with agricultural work, so he was able to look at that overwhelming mess and see solutions. (i.e. bulldozer! I would have never guessed that you could rent such a thing.)Anyhow, it is true that we have done a lot of work. The gardens have probably been the easiest part, as we had to do all that clearing, build all of the horse fencing, stalls, deer fence for the veggie garden, etc. I'm not complaining, though. It has mostly been really fun, and it is so satisfying to have a place grow with you. I hope to live here forever, because I still have about 50 years worth of plans for this place!

Well, thanks again for your compliments and for checking out my pictures. I will certainly keep posting them. Dahlia season is just around the corner - I'll take some more pictures then!

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting your pictures and the large size too! I love your gardens and the way that your care and attention shows all of the hard work you have done. I know how you feel about having years worth of dreams/plans for your property. I have been working my butt off on our property here in Alaska. Those long days of extended daylight are killing me with aiding and abetting the growth of weeds and underbrush. I am encouraged though this is the first year for the perennial beds it looks like they are getting off to a healthy start.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

cedarglen,
    You wouldn't be the only one to come from hours away. If makes less mess of your car if you line your trunk w/ a tarp and bring a few boxes/bucket/tote to put the bareroot things into. Some things are potted up & others just handed to you. I bring a clipboard, cut up window blinds & a pencil to take notes & label things because in the whirlwind you won't remember what the other gardeners tell you.

My hubby was a LW purple kang, too.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

You have done so well with your new garden! It's a lovely cottage garden! TFS and I look forward to seeing more pics as things change.

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

Very nice! Such pristine monarda is impressive. Mine always got powdery mildew about the time they bloomed so I got rid of them. All your plants look healthy. Good for you!

• Merilia
    12 years ago

Cedarglen, your garden is gorgeous! The flowers are lovely, of course, but what strikes me in particular is your brilliant use of foliage. Also you did a great job of hitting that narrow target of lush but not overgrown, and your use of rocks adds a great touch. You must be so proud of how well your hard work is turning out!

• deep_south_gardener
    12 years ago

What a beautiful house and garden you have. Thank you for sharing

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals