Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why I didn't think of this sooner I don't know...

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 1:56

I had been wanting "something" for this spot for awhile, something that was preferably tall and unusual but not so tall that it would overwhelm the wimpy rose next to it.

There is this fantastic black glazed pot that I planted Angelonia and Lotus vine in that didn't work for me anywhere because the vine was too long and trailing.

I also had this old concrete birdbath stand that was stuffed in a corner out by the alley garden. See where I am going with this? Yep! I set the pot on top of the stand in this spot. I'm loving it. The black pot adds a little punch and the vine has plenty of room to trail down!

July 18

Have any of you figured out a "solution" (wow, I feel like I am using a lot of quotation marks today for some reason, LOL) to something in the garden that has been bothering or annoying you?
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why I didn't think of this sooner I don't know...

I cut hansa rose back this year.. it was blooming at the top of seven feet canes, fine for me, but no so great for my wife. She loves the smell of this rose, plus behind it I planted John Davis, the were both the same hieght and it looked odd. Normally do not cut rogusas back, but honestly, it looks soooooooooooooo much better now. the foilage has filled in and you cant tell I hacked it in half, its around 4.5 feet now and the increased light has prompted John Davis to grow up even further.

Silverkelt

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 12:32

I love the look, and the combo of colors.

o

Cute! Love that pink daylily with the yellow center. Pretty!!

o

That is a beautiful picture,..good thinking about where to place the pot,..it shows those flowers and foliage off very well and the pot blends in.

I had a problem very similar,..i planted yellow California Poppies at ground level but many of the blooms were lost in the foliage,..one day the penny dropped,..why not plant them on high and they could cascade over the side of the pot,..i made a stand,..placed the pot in it and success.

Philip

o

Thanks much! ;-) If ever I see any kind of bird bath stand or some sort of pedestal out and about I am going to scoop it up and do more like that. Maybe do one with variegated vinca vine next year.

-Philip, love your pot of CA poppies. Such a delicate, minute plant that it is a great idea to put them at eye level!
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here