Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

A picture from everyone- Summer 2012

I have been so busy at work that I haven't had much time for much posting lately! I still do check the forums most every day, and am loving seeing everybody's gardens and pics.

I thought I would share couple pics of my garden and maybe get my buds here to do the same. There are parts ((okay, MANY)) that are not looking up to snuff in my opinion. There is one section I re-did already, but the rest will have to wait until later. I am liking this one spot though...

Usually I dislike gold, but I am liking the double Rudbeckias here.

Your turn to share! ;-)

CMK

Comments (50)

• lavendrfem
    11 years ago

I love this post! I can't wait to see what everyone is growing.... I actually had quite a few pics I really loved this year despite our hot and humid summer so far.

• User
    11 years ago

We are havig a very wet summer,..yesterday we had 16 hours of rain,..flowers are soaked and droopy but they will recover we have a long summer.

Philip

• roseberri, z6
    11 years ago

I have not been able to get online for a long time, when the big storm took out our power we didnt have cable or internet for a long time, we have also had severe drought and high heat for longer than I have ever seen in Ohio. roseberri

• petalstx
    11 years ago

Not many flowers this time of year. >100 degrees most days. Rosemary bushes do enjoy. Yeah, Tx Rangers. Will sit on porch early evening and enjoy occasional hummingbird and the butterflies.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Same here petals.
    Duranta..aka golden dew drop. And vitex.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

In coastal Northern CA my garden looks pretty much the same all year long, although it's prettiest in May when the nasturtiums and CA poppies add big splashes of orange.

Front yard, left side:

Front yard, right side. I replanted the middle and left front of this bed, and it's coming along nicely:

Side yard, south sunny exposure. Roses are on their second bloom:

Back yard w/shed:

I've had to redo my favorite north-side shade bed. My Japanese Maple was half-killed over the winter so it's horribly lopsided. The callas are done and cut back, leaving big holes that haven't filled in yet!

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

Daylily bed on 6/29/12. Not a lot blooming now with the heat and lack of rain. Everything was about 3 weeks early this year. Hoping for a nice fall flush with the roses.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Nice pix, all.
    jkom51 I like your cannas.

Monarda, impatiens and conifers...

{{gwi:601887}}

Very early summer when dianthus still bloomed...

tj

• pat_tea
    11 years ago

Don't have my gardens in but here is a container that makes me smile.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

"not a lot blooming now..." Photo of spectacular beds in full bloom. Hmph.

tsugajunkie- What a cool lovely breath of fresh air. Thank you.

Here's a shot from my mom's garden. She just created this bed a few months ago, and I think it looks fantastic.

The magenta rose is Darcy Bussell. The white is The Shepherdess, and the pale pink is Our Lady of Guadalupe. I bought her the lilies (I think they are either rubrum or Black Beauty) a few years ago.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

tsugajunkie, LOVE your use of various conifers for foliage interest! It is just too dry and shady in my beds for them, but I adore seeing them in mixed beds.

hosenemesis, I'm always in awe of both your garden and your mother's. You are two terrific cottage gardeners!

As my garden matures, I'm beginning to wish I could find more xeric shade plants that are evergreen with interesting foliage. It's a tough set of requirements to fulfill. I've lost a lot of plants that just couldn't compete against what's already flourishing.

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

It's been terribly hot and dry here in central PA. When we do get rain, it's a torrential down pour, but I'll take any rain we can get.

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

I don't know how to upload multiple pictures.

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

Last one

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Molly, btw one of my favorite names.

Beautiful garden, especially the last one.

Kathy

• jodikay
    11 years ago

Wow, beautiful pictures. very inspiring. i am currently revamping my garden so these pictures have given me some great ideas!

Jodi

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    11 years ago

i love when this thread comes up every year! i am moving to Tennessee in 9 days, and will miss my garden very much.But that means i get to start another one, even better having learned from my old garden!
    i love seeing everyone elses gardens!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

Great photos everyone.
    LF, good luck with the move. Is there much difference in zone for you? I wonder if you'll get to try out many more plants.

I love 'Irish Eyes' mixed with daylilies. I took ML's idea and did a whole daylily bed along our split-rail fence. It has filled out nicely and I love it. Here's a close-up of 'Irish Eyes'. Pretty easy to start indoors from seed so I'll always have a supply (thanks to CMK for getting me my first batch of seeds!)

• Martina DeLuca
    11 years ago

Great pics!

My shade garden is my favorite in this summer heat.

• pat_tea
    11 years ago

Wow! Shade and no slugs.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    11 years ago

Thyme- thanks! We will be in zone 7 , which is one more down from Pittsburgh. I hear for the most part the winter is mild and I can do things outside most of the year. I'm surprised it's only one zone higher because it's so far south ( to me!) . I saw lots of banana trees and crepe myrtle which we can't really grow well here without protection. I'm interested to see what I can do there too!

• petalstx
    11 years ago

Mollydog, I wanta come sit on your swing and have a 'cold one'

• sidos_house
    11 years ago

I am a new to GardenWeb -- though I've been lurking for years. This is a picture of my garden in spring. It's young, only a couple of years old, so by this time of year there's nothing left to brag about. I'm working on it, but slowly in this heat.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

love the colors
    I got this walkers low from a plant swap

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

-aroidgardener, those are awesome. I'm growing my first Colocasia (Black Magic) this year, a trade from a GW member. Nowhere near a s big as yours, but I am loving it.

Which is the huge green one in your pic? And is the plant with the white veins an Alocasia of some kind?? And what is below it, with the green folaige and purple veins? A huge coleus, or something else? So basically, I am asking what everything in your picture is, LOL. ;-)
    CMK

• silvergirl426_gw
    11 years ago

from July in CT

• silvergirl426_gw
    11 years ago

I was tickled to see blooms on my Grus en Aachen, which got hammered in the Halloween snow storm

Lest we forget
    {{gwi:714206}}

Here is the same Annabelle hydrangea in summer splendor
    {{gwi:714208}}

Barbara Mitchell with feverfew

While Billie the watch cat watches
    {{gwi:714212}}

more later
    lucia

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Sidos-House, you have a big canvas! It looks like you have put a lot of work into your garden. I would love to see those roses next spring.
    Love love love hydrangeas. Silvergirl, your layering in that bed is inspiring.
    Mollydog, your garden is the epitome of cottage garden style.
    Thanks all.
    Renee

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    11 years ago

My favorite hardy hibiscuses this morning:

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures! It's August in Texas, not too much blooming right now, but Fall's coming!

Picture is of my new garden bed, it's starting to grow up...

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

The new circle garden. This is a picture from a month ago. It's more full, and that hibiscus was cut back, fertilized and is BLOOMING AGAIN! I'm so surprised!
    Despite reports of crazy, unpredictable weather, you all have very gorgeous gardens!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

This is a nice idea. Great getting a peek into everyone's gardens and they are all having a great year it looks like!

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

'Summer' 2012 - very, very wet and very, very green.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

I am very very green with envy!

• pat_tea
    11 years ago

Summers last show. . . Soon the stargazers will go to sleep for the winter and the autumn joy will take center stage.

• pootpoot1
    10 years ago

Your stargazers are just lovely pat_tea

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Here are a few of mine.
    heavenly bamboo,hydrangeas,geraniums

{{gwi:560477}}

{{gwi:547858}}

my favorite columbines

{{gwi:702802}}

{{gwi:702800}}

Brugs

{{gwi:702807}}

{{gwi:702808}}

{{gwi:547855}}

These just finished blooming,latest I've ever had iris bloom that I can remember.

{{gwi:553121}}

one of my favorite roses

hibiscus

{{gwi:702816}}

{{gwi:702819}}

{{gwi:140688}}

{{gwi:666700}}

That's enough for tonight.I tend to get carried away.
    Enjoy the view!!
    Kathi

• User
    10 years ago

Wow Kathi,..very enjoyable selection of pictures,..drooling over the colours and healthy blooms,..yikes my garden has blooms but its best described as organized chaos lol.

Philip

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Thanks Philip,as you can tell we like our flowers.I love looking at what others have as well.So glad we live where we do as we can pretty much grow some things all year.Like right now our succulents are in bloom,and their bloom last longer than regular plants,and they require less work.
    Kathi

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

What a great post. Keep it going folks.

• roper2008
    10 years ago

Love the photo's. I hardly took any pics of my flowers.
    Here's a few.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

my sunflower tree.
    :) Laura

• valree3
    10 years ago

This pic. is from July of this yr. We have had very cold mornings this past weekend of 15 and 21 degrees. Most of my flowers and flower pots are done for the year. Its great to look back on what was done in garden and cant wait till next summer!

• grandmachris
    10 years ago

Valree, that is lovely! The perspective given by the fence in front, the glassroofed ?? house, the white daisy patch, the far fence and the far, far line of tall trees gives such a long look to things. I expect some of it is "borrowed landscape" but it is very attractive.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Thanks all for sharing pics. So lovely!

Valree: How do you edge your grass? Do you just shovel edge or is there a physical barrier?

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

This was about 10 days ago. Finally we are cooling down. It is 66 degrees.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Roper,is that first picture asclepsia??
    It's a beauty whatever it is.tfs
    Kathi

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I love, love, love, this thread!
    All the beautiful colors and schemes. I especially love the pics that show more of the whole gardens, not just the close ups... like I posted, lol
    I also would love to know the name of Roper's orange flowering plant.
    :) Laura

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Me too Laura,i keep coming back here looking to see what I may have missed the first few times around.Hope it keeps going!!
    kathi

• User
    10 years ago

Summer 2012 was a good summer for me,..the video below is of June 2012,..the garden has changed since then,..for the better i hope.

Video==June Blooms 2012

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction