Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A picture from everyone- Summer 2012

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 2:08

I have been so busy at work that I haven't had much time for much posting lately! I still do check the forums most every day, and am loving seeing everybody's gardens and pics.

I thought I would share couple pics of my garden and maybe get my buds here to do the same. There are parts ((okay, MANY)) that are not looking up to snuff in my opinion. There is one section I re-did already, but the rest will have to wait until later. I am liking this one spot though...

july 18

Usually I dislike gold, but I am liking the double Rudbeckias here.

july 18

Your turn to share! ;-)
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A picture from everyone- Summer 2012

I love this post! I can't wait to see what everyone is growing.... I actually had quite a few pics I really loved this year despite our hot and humid summer so far.

Photobucket

o

We are havig a very wet summer,..yesterday we had 16 hours of rain,..flowers are soaked and droopy but they will recover we have a long summer.

Philip

o

I have not been able to get online for a long time, when the big storm took out our power we didnt have cable or internet for a long time, we have also had severe drought and high heat for longer than I have ever seen in Ohio. roseberri

o

Not many flowers this time of year. >100 degrees most days. Rosemary bushes do enjoy. Yeah, Tx Rangers. Will sit on porch early evening and enjoy occasional hummingbird and the butterflies.

o

Same here petals.
Duranta..aka golden dew drop. And vitex.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 19:17

In coastal Northern CA my garden looks pretty much the same all year long, although it's prettiest in May when the nasturtiums and CA poppies add big splashes of orange.

Front yard, left side:
Photobucket

Front yard, right side. I replanted the middle and left front of this bed, and it's coming along nicely:
Photobucket

Side yard, south sunny exposure. Roses are on their second bloom:
Photobucket

Back yard w/shed:
Photobucket

I've had to redo my favorite north-side shade bed. My Japanese Maple was half-killed over the winter so it's horribly lopsided. The callas are done and cut back, leaving big holes that haven't filled in yet!

o

Daylily bed on 6/29/12. Not a lot blooming now with the heat and lack of rain. Everything was about 3 weeks early this year. Hoping for a nice fall flush with the roses.
Photobucket

o

Nice pix, all.
jkom51 I like your cannas.

Monarda, impatiens and conifers...

Photobucket

Very early summer when dianthus still bloomed...

Photobucket

tj

o

Don't have my gardens in but here is a container that makes me smile.

o

"not a lot blooming now..." Photo of spectacular beds in full bloom. Hmph.

tsugajunkie- What a cool lovely breath of fresh air. Thank you.

Here's a shot from my mom's garden. She just created this bed a few months ago, and I think it looks fantastic.
Photobucket
Photobucket
The magenta rose is Darcy Bussell. The white is The Shepherdess, and the pale pink is Our Lady of Guadalupe. I bought her the lilies (I think they are either rubrum or Black Beauty) a few years ago.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 11:47

tsugajunkie, LOVE your use of various conifers for foliage interest! It is just too dry and shady in my beds for them, but I adore seeing them in mixed beds.

hosenemesis, I'm always in awe of both your garden and your mother's. You are two terrific cottage gardeners!

As my garden matures, I'm beginning to wish I could find more xeric shade plants that are evergreen with interesting foliage. It's a tough set of requirements to fulfill. I've lost a lot of plants that just couldn't compete against what's already flourishing.

o

It's been terribly hot and dry here in central PA. When we do get rain, it's a torrential down pour, but I'll take any rain we can get.

o

I don't know how to upload multiple pictures.

o

Last one

o

Molly, btw one of my favorite names.

Beautiful garden, especially the last one.

Kathy

o

Wow, beautiful pictures. very inspiring. i am currently revamping my garden so these pictures have given me some great ideas!

Jodi

o

i love when this thread comes up every year! i am moving to Tennessee in 9 days, and will miss my garden very much.But that means i get to start another one, even better having learned from my old garden!
i love seeing everyone elses gardens!

o

Great photos everyone.
LF, good luck with the move. Is there much difference in zone for you? I wonder if you'll get to try out many more plants.

I love 'Irish Eyes' mixed with daylilies. I took ML's idea and did a whole daylily bed along our split-rail fence. It has filled out nicely and I love it. Here's a close-up of 'Irish Eyes'. Pretty easy to start indoors from seed so I'll always have a supply (thanks to CMK for getting me my first batch of seeds!)

o

Great pics!

My shade garden is my favorite in this summer heat.

o

Wow! Shade and no slugs.

o

Thyme- thanks! We will be in zone 7 , which is one more down from Pittsburgh. I hear for the most part the winter is mild and I can do things outside most of the year. I'm surprised it's only one zone higher because it's so far south ( to me!) . I saw lots of banana trees and crepe myrtle which we can't really grow well here without protection. I'm interested to see what I can do there too!

o

Mollydog, I wanta come sit on your swing and have a 'cold one'

o

I am a new to GardenWeb -- though I've been lurking for years. This is a picture of my garden in spring. It's young, only a couple of years old, so by this time of year there's nothing left to brag about. I'm working on it, but slowly in this heat.

o

love the colors
I got this walkers low from a plant swap
Photobucket

o

-aroidgardener, those are awesome. I'm growing my first Colocasia (Black Magic) this year, a trade from a GW member. Nowhere near a s big as yours, but I am loving it.

Which is the huge green one in your pic? And is the plant with the white veins an Alocasia of some kind?? And what is below it, with the green folaige and purple veins? A huge coleus, or something else? So basically, I am asking what everything in your picture is, LOL. ;-)
CMK

o

from July in CT

o

I was tickled to see blooms on my Grus en Aachen, which got hammered in the Halloween snow storm

Lest we forget

Here is the same Annabelle hydrangea in summer splendor

Barbara Mitchell with feverfew

While Billie the watch cat watches

more later
lucia

o

Sidos-House, you have a big canvas! It looks like you have put a lot of work into your garden. I would love to see those roses next spring.
Love love love hydrangeas. Silvergirl, your layering in that bed is inspiring.
Mollydog, your garden is the epitome of cottage garden style.
Thanks all.
Renee

o

My favorite hardy hibiscuses this morning:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

Beautiful pictures! It's August in Texas, not too much blooming right now, but Fall's coming!

Picture is of my new garden bed, it's starting to grow up...

o

The new circle garden. This is a picture from a month ago. It's more full, and that hibiscus was cut back, fertilized and is BLOOMING AGAIN! I'm so surprised!
Despite reports of crazy, unpredictable weather, you all have very gorgeous gardens!

o

This is a nice idea. Great getting a peek into everyone's gardens and they are all having a great year it looks like!

o

'Summer' 2012 - very, very wet and very, very green.

o

I am very very green with envy!

o

Summers last show. . . Soon the stargazers will go to sleep for the winter and the autumn joy will take center stage.

o

Your stargazers are just lovely pat_tea

o

Here are a few of mine.
heavenly bamboo,hydrangeas,geraniums

heavenly bamboo-hydrangeas photo DSCF0826.jpg

front yard 6-13 photo DSCF0784.jpg

my favorite columbines

columbie 5-13 photo DSCF0726.jpg

butterfly bush photo DSCF0762.jpg

Brugs

brug photo DSCF0777-1.jpg

bridal veil photo DSCF0786.jpg

blue plumbago--hibiscus photo DSCF0772-1.jpg

These just finished blooming,latest I've ever had iris bloom that I can remember.

iris 8-13 photo gardens2013136.jpg

photo gardens2013018.jpg

lilies photo gardens2013005.jpg

one of my favorite roses

roses photo gardens2013002.jpg

hibiscus

hibiscus 8-14-13 photo gardens2013004.jpg

geranium-feverfew photo DSCF1045.jpg

iris photo DSCF1043.jpg

iris-kalanchoe photo DSCF1040.jpg

photo DSCF0981.jpg

photo DSCF0973.jpg

photo Picture312-1.jpg

photo astersmums10-18-03008.jpg

photo andmore.jpg

That's enough for tonight.I tend to get carried away.
Enjoy the view!!
Kathi

o

Wow Kathi,..very enjoyable selection of pictures,..drooling over the colours and healthy blooms,..yikes my garden has blooms but its best described as organized chaos lol.

Philip

o

Thanks Philip,as you can tell we like our flowers.I love looking at what others have as well.So glad we live where we do as we can pretty much grow some things all year.Like right now our succulents are in bloom,and their bloom last longer than regular plants,and they require less work.
Kathi

o

What a great post. Keep it going folks.

o

Love the photo's. I hardly took any pics of my flowers.
Here's a few.

photo IMG_0204_zps77d83962.jpg

photo IMG_0118_zps3d2f35e5.jpg

o

photo 1378833960.jpg

my sunflower tree.
:) Laura

o

This pic. is from July of this yr. We have had very cold mornings this past weekend of 15 and 21 degrees. Most of my flowers and flower pots are done for the year. Its great to look back on what was done in garden and cant wait till next summer!

o

Valree, that is lovely! The perspective given by the fence in front, the glassroofed ?? house, the white daisy patch, the far fence and the far, far line of tall trees gives such a long look to things. I expect some of it is "borrowed landscape" but it is very attractive.

o

Thanks all for sharing pics. So lovely!

Valree: How do you edge your grass? Do you just shovel edge or is there a physical barrier?

o

This was about 10 days ago. Finally we are cooling down. It is 66 degrees.

o

Roper,is that first picture asclepsia??
It's a beauty whatever it is.tfs
Kathi

o

I love, love, love, this thread!
All the beautiful colors and schemes. I especially love the pics that show more of the whole gardens, not just the close ups... like I posted, lol
I also would love to know the name of Roper's orange flowering plant.
:) Laura

o

Me too Laura,i keep coming back here looking to see what I may have missed the first few times around.Hope it keeps going!!
kathi

o

Summer 2012 was a good summer for me,..the video below is of June 2012,..the garden has changed since then,..for the better i hope.

Video==June Blooms 2012

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here