Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nulty

My Other Garden.

nulty
9 years ago

My other garden belongs to my next door neighbor who loves flowers,.. she is almost 86 years old but not familiar with gardening so any surplus plants or cuttings i have i plant them in her garden,..she tells me when she pulls back the curtains each morning she spends some time admiring the blooms,..its not much of a garden at present but it will improve in time with more plants and some thinking,..oh and as these few pictures will show i need to cut the grass lol.

Comments (23)

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She wanted white stones leading to her clothes line.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some Ferns.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Osteospermums,'Cape Daisy'.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hydrangea.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hydrangea.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilies.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilies.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilies.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nasturtium.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tagetes,'Marigold'.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some evening shots taken with phone camera.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nepeta cataria,'Catmint/Catnip'.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lots of blooms appearing now but still a garden in its infancy.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

nice to have a new place to mess about in -your other garden is admirable-i live in the driest part of the US and seeing the damp green of Eire is great-1st time i was there i asked if the weather was always like that and the barman said that no sometimes it was just getting ready to rain. have mostly been to southern Eire-where are you?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh how lovely! Your neighbor is so lucky to have you next door. I imagine she is filled with joy at the sight of 'her' flowers!

David, is that your garden? It is equally lovely and done in 'my' colors. Maybe you could move next door to me...

;)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

I looked at that stone wall and I thought of Ireland, then realized that is where you are - oh my, the stone walls there. I just had my pictures from my trip there up on the computer the other day to show a friend. Simply stunning!! The walled gardens there were so beautiful.
    And I really need to know what the name of that burgundy lily is!!! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    Delighted you made the trip over here,..hope you were not disappointed with our weather,..isn't it great to have pictures to look back at,..oh that Lily you asked about is named Lilium,'Dimension',..Dark Wine.

===============================================

Hi davids 10,
    Your garden surely has the appearance of being in a warm dry climate,..tall sun loving plants,..it looks great,..i was in the next State to you for a holiday and covered Salt Lake City,..Park City and Yellowstone,..it was a three week stay so covered Ohio and Indiana,..returned to the USA several times since.

Sooooo you were over this side of the pond,..yes damp green is an apt description,..certainly to where i am located,..the Midlands,..150 yards from the River Shannon and Lough Ree,..lol at the Barman's reply its so true.

Philip

==============================================

Hi cyn427,
    She tells me every day when another flower blooms but doesn't remember the name,..hints that the grass might need cutting lol,..then bribes me with a chocolate bar.

This post was edited by glengarry23 on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 19:47

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

What a lovely thing to do for your neighbor, giving her a beautiful garden, and you get the benefit of extra garden space and chocolate. Sound like a win for both of you!

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi nhbabs,
    I don't imagine anyone could resist giving her a few flowers when she showed how much she liked them though the chocolate bar helped lol.

Philip

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

What a great looking garden and the stone wall is just beautiful. She is lucky to have you as her neighbor. What a great thing to do! I am currently on vacation in Germany and having the chance to help with a garden here. It is a bit different because the climate is milder and so many plants are still looking great compared to home where the heat and humidity is doing its damage.

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

What a charming retreat! Enjoyed the photos and the love that went into the gifting.

• nulty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi southerngardening24,
    Nice to hear of someone on holiday,..this side of the pond as well,..isn't it great to help out in another persons garden adding your ideas and know how,..we are having a heatwave here in Ireland and England so i hope your vacation in Germany gives you good weather,..don't over do it in the garden,..have a great time there.

Philip
    ==============================================

Hi GreenHrarted,
    delighted you enjoyed the few pictures,..thank you.

Philip

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

Yes I am so happy to be able to help my mom in her garden. It has been pretty warm here lately but it was cooler yesterday and today, maybe around 18 degrees celsius or so but will warm up again starting tomorrow. I am not complaining because it is nice to get a break from hot and humid SC.

One of my aunts showed me her gardens yesterday and tomorrow I plan on visiting another family members garden. Lots of hobby gardeners in my family. Unfortunately we are not able to exchange any plants or seeds.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County