Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memo3

Do you grow Viburnums?

memo3
16 years ago

I've added 5 new Viburnums to my garden this year. I purchased the Blue Muffin and DH surprised me with the other 4 when he found them on sale. Bless his heart! (He also surprised me with four lavendar pincushion flowers.) The two red berried varieties have much lighter colored green leaves with red veining. The blue muffin has deep green leaves with a tinge of blue to them. I've planted them together in a grouping.

2) Common Snowball Viburnum; Viburnum opulus 'Sterile', Snow white blooms in large ball-shaped clusters in spring, red berries in fall, autumn foliage yellow/red. Zones 3-8.

2) American Cranberry Bush; Viburnum trilobum, Large snow white single flowers in spring, red berry clusters in the fall that persist until spring (if the birds don't get them all). Autumn foliage red/yellow. Zones 2-8.

1) Blue Muffin; Viburnum dentatum 'Christom', Myriad white flowers in spring, deep blue berry clusters in fall, Autumn foliage red/purple/orange. Zones 3-8.

I had no idea there were so many different varieties! Do any of you grow these or other Viburnums? Do tell....

MeMo

Comments (22)

• Vikki1747
    16 years ago

MeMo...Yes I have Doublefile Viburnum 'Shasta'. I wish I had more viburnum - they are wonderful shrubs. Not easy to see in this picture, but what makes this viburnum special to me is how the blooms grow on the top of the draping branches. Bright red fruits provide a picnic for robins and other fruit-eating birds in late July. This was planted in July 2003 and I prune it heavily every year after it blooms because of its location. Vikki

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

Yes, I had a couple of gaps in a mixed property border and put in 2 "Emerald Triumph" Viburnum late last summer. This variety was northern developed and highly recommended for Minnesota. They just sat there for the rest of the season, but came through the winter and really put out new growth this spring, almost doubling in size. This variety has glossy green leaves, white flowers and red berries that turn to black. The fall foliage is supposed to take on a nice color, but our fall season might be too short for full impact. I am very fond of Viburnum and these were seemingly a good choice to fill in the gaps quickly. This is supposed to be a more compact variety, more rounded and reaching 6-10'.

• jlsch
    16 years ago

I also love Viburnum. I have Korean Spice which has the most delicious smell when it blooms in the spring; Blue Muffin (which grew quickly); and I just added a Compact European Cranberrybush this spring. I love them for their color changes with the seasons, the flowers, and the seeds they provide the birds. Vikki, your Doublefile Viburnum 'Shasta'is a beauty! Hmmm...maybe I could shovel prune one of my mock orange bushes that never seems to do much and replace it with that one!

• lavendrfem
    16 years ago

I've been wanting Blue Muffin for my garden. I was thinking about using it as a foundation shrub... what do you think?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

The only Viburnum I have at present is Viburnum farreri, A winter flowering Viburnum, this one has small pink flower clusters and blooms off and on throughout late fall and winter on bare twiggy branches, has a lovely fragrance, especially on a sunny day.

Annette

• memo3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vikki, Thank you for posting a picture of your's with your reply. I hadn't seen a reference for that one when I was researching. When your pic first came up I thought it was a shot of the shrub with a late spring snow on it's branches. How lovely it is!

Duluth..., I haven't seen you post before so Welcome! Thanks for posting on your Emerald Triumph. I hadn't seen this one either and I think it would be nice to see one where the berries turn to another color besides red.

WI Gardener, I think I need a Korean Spice shrub too. I'd love one that is scented near the water hydrant. When researching I kept seeing reference to the European Cranberry and there seemed to be some confusion between it and the American Cranberry. Finally I sorted out that there are actually two seperate shrubs with the Cranberry name.

Lavendrfem, The info I have on Blue Muffin states that it has a neat habit so it is perfect for smaller areas. It grows 6-8 ft. wide and tall. Mine is doing really well in morning shade and full afternoon sun.

Annette, I'm going to research your Farreri. I'm in a much colder zone so I'll have to see how it would behave in my garden. I doubt it would bloom in late fall or winter but it may be an earlier blooming form here in zone 4.

Thanks for posting all your favorites everyone. I'll add these to my list. I'm working on a shrub border for my potager garden. I have variegated Wieglia on the north side and will be planting all my viburnum on the east side just inside the windbreak that surrounds my back yard. I'd like blueberries on the west side I think and I'm still undecided on the north end but may do a cutting garden there since the hoophouse (greenhouse) will be behind the north border. I don't want anything too tall that will block the sun. If you have any other ideas for that north side please let me know.

MeMo

• jlsch
    16 years ago

Lavendrfem, Here is a photo of my Blue Muffin if you need a reference for size/shape. This one is 3 years old.
    {{gwi:714574}}

MeMo, You might also want to do some searching in the shrub forum. I know they had lots of good information and some 'experts' on viburnums there when I was doing my researching.

• irene_dsc
    16 years ago

I have an Arrowwood Viburnum at the new house - the arborist we had visit ID'd it for me. :) Here's a closeup of the blooms:

{{gwi:714578}}

I'm hoping to find a spot for a Doublefile virburnum sometime - I've always wanted one since I saw it featured in my Dirr's Hardy Trees & Shrubs. I also want a Koreanspice one - I saw/smelled one at a nursery this spring, and it was yummy!

• Eduarda
    16 years ago

I have two varieties of viburnums: the above mentioned Opulus (deciduous, fantastic Fall color) and viburnum tinus - a.k.a. laurustinus - evergreen, white flowers in December/January. Both are mainstays of my garden and wish I had room for more. I was admiring a burkwoodii some time ago at the garden center, but unfortunately no room for it anymore :-( They are a large family of shrubs and some are hardier than others. You can't go wrong with viburnums, IMO, you just have to be careful to select a variety that is hardy to your zone, sit back and enjoy.

Eduarda

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

I grow Viburnum carlcephalum that I just love. The large clusters of blooms smell heavenly. I don't think it is hardy for you MeMo, but others should definitely seek it out. I also grow an arrowwood one, Chicago Luster, that unfortunately keeps getting eaten by the viburnum leaf beetle(V. carlcephalum doesn't get eaten by them.) This year is ok so far. Hopefully it stays that way.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:633718}}

• memo3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eduarda mentioned V. tinus 'laurastinus' and I looked it up. It's isn't hardy for me but it is beautiful. I wanted to share with you another cultivar of V. tinus that is called 'Spring Bouquet'. It is really really lovely for those of you in the warm zones. Here's a link...

MeMo

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum Tinus 'Spring Bouquet'

• lavendrfem
    16 years ago

MeMo - thanks! I have the same sun exposure on the side of the house that I'm thinking about putting it in.

wigardenerwannabe - thanks so much for the photo. I'll have to open it up at home because my company blocks webshots for some strange reason!

I think I may get one and plant in fall.

• lorinscott_1
    16 years ago

I have a snowball viburnum, just planted last year. It's tripled in size, and has sent a straight branch up almost as tall as the roof of my neighbor's garage. I love the shrub, though, and really like the snowball's lime green color before they fade to white.....

I haven't experienced the leaves turning colors in the fall yet, or any berries.

• memo3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lori, that's a beautiful picture of your shrub. Those snowballs almost look like hydrangea, especially since they change colors. I didn't know they did that. I thought they just opened up plain white. One more thing to look forward to. Thanks.

MeMo

• mrsgalihad
    16 years ago

I have one that I picked up at HD three years ago. I'd rather have a native one but this was only $5. It is V. plicatum maresii. Mine is in part shade but I think it may need more sun. It only bloomed on the side of the plant that gets more sun. It needs to be pruned too. I didn't this spring and it has gotten enormous. I love it though and even DH who mostly doesn't care commented that he liked the texture of the leaves. I have spots picked out for a couple more different kinds including Leatherleaf (Viburnum rhytidophyllum) and Prague (Viburnum x pragense) for a mixed evergreen hedge along the back to replace some poorly sited spruces.

• Vikki1747
    16 years ago

Lori,

I also have a Snowball Viburnum. Mine is at least 10 yrs old and its a wonderful shrub. Since yours is new you might find the linked article interesting. It addresses when to prune, etc.

Vikki

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowball Viburnum

• blue_velvet_elvis
    16 years ago

I need to move my viburnum *yikes* I didn't realize it would get that big.

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Viburnums are one of my favorite shrubs! I've got 5 1/2 wooded acres planted with many of our natives - v. dentatum, v. ashe, 'Emerald Lustre', v. rufidulum, and v. nudum.
    I'm intrigued by the fragrant ones!
    Viburnums are wonderful wildlife plants - butterflies nectar on the flowers, birds relish the fruit, and it's the host plant for a good many moths. And it's one of the easiest plant to grow - you can't get much better than that!
    Sherry

• lorinscott_1
    16 years ago

Vicky, thanks so much for that link....you can never learn enough about the plants you love! Sure wish I'd known a bit more about viburnum before I plunked that one where it is....although it does like that spot it's in, it might fight for space with the guava tree. Hopefully, the guava will grow taller than the viburnum, at least that was my initial reason for planting it there, but right now they're almost neck and neck....lol. Also thought that this viburnum would be fragrant, but it's not. Thanks again!

• yeonasky
    16 years ago

I have the evergreen one, Viburnum Tinus, Spring bouquet. It is a very nice plant. I also have V Bodnantense Dawn which has nice leaf color and some late winter fragrance. It's not a favorite of many Viburnum growers due to its eratic shape buy I like it, anyway. If I had more room I'd add the V. Korean spice. What a lovely wafting fragrance. There is a dwarf variety of this, but dwarf is a relative term in plants. There have been some very in depth and interesting discussions about Viburnums for fragrance etc, on the shrubs forum. Do a search and you'll get some good discussions.

Yeona

• yeonasky
    16 years ago

Sorry memo and foxesearth for killing your threads. I didn't realize that I would do so. I appologize again.

Best regards,

Yeona

• lavendrfem
    16 years ago

I saw a blue muffin viburnum at Lowe's for $20. I'm thinking about getting it this week. I was going to wait and see if it went on sale in the fall...but I'm not sure they do.

Sponsored