Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Larkspur seed sighting

pippi21
12 years ago

I know this is crazy to be excited over learning how to look for and gather seeds from plants that I have sown myself but this month, I've learned and gathered Sweet William, rose campion and this morning, I discovered dried seed pods on the larkspur and they were about to open up and spill its tiny seeds on the sidewalk..Those that were dried and opened a bit, I scattered where I had planted some larkspur seeds a few weeks ago. For the pods that were still green, I cut clipped them and laid them in same area or elsewhere near larkspur plantings. Will those that were laid out green, eventually dry, open up and spill its seeds?

Comments (9)

• roseberri, z6
    12 years ago

It is not crazy that is the joy of gardening! sounds like a lovely garden :)
    roseberri

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

That does sound like fun! Be excited! Here, *throws rose petal confetti*

• sanitycheck
    12 years ago

I love larkspur because it takes care of itself.If i dont like where its at i dont feel bad about hanking it, but to be honest i usually give it a new home elsewhere in the yard.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

It depends on the maturity of the seed pod whether they will be viable. I promise you will have so many that the few that don't germinate won't matter. I always pull up the plants and put them in the part of the flower bed I want larkspur next year. After the whole plant is driy just walk around shaking them. The original seeds were from a 6 pack of plants I planted in 2000 at another house.

The spring of 2008 I had about 10 plants. These pics. are spring 2009.

{{gwi:671116}}

{{gwi:671115}}

spring 2011

{{gwi:621024}}

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I hope mine look like that and grow that fast! Thanks for sharing the pictures and helpful tips. Now I am excited about having the larkspur. Will get some more seeds and have on hand. I remember they don't transplant well so the first ones I planted in a peat pot in the flowerbed.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

You can transplant them, if you do it when they are tiny.

BTW I plant mine at the time they fall from the plant. I figure Mother Nature knows best. I don't wait until fall as most seed packs advise.

Kathy

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will be out there early tomorrow morning, watering and inspecting everything. It's over 100 today..not about to get out there. We had over 2 in. of rain on Friday afternoon so that should hold the plants till tomorrow morning. I just sprinkled those larkspur seeds on top of the ground. Should I take a plastic fork or hand rake and work them into the soil? I had direct sown some a few weeks ago but hadn't seen any signs of germination.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

No, you don't have to do any thing.
    You won't see any germination until late winter. I am in 8b/9a and they sometimes come up in late Nov. And just sit there for a while and then start growing pretty fast

I know, I know it sounds too easy.

Patience grasshopper.:)

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A Patient gardener is not in my vocabulary! Does it show? LOL!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz