Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Peony Poppies & Lilies - Pics

mandolls
12 years ago

The is the third year for this "cottagey" front border, and it is full! There will be a lot more blooming in a couple of weeks, but the Commander in Chief Lilies are in full bloom and the Peony Poppies (Flemish Antique) that I tried from seed this year are just starting to bloom. I wanted to share some pics.

The bed runs along the path from the driveway to the house. The large potted plants are a Fig, Petunias and a Gardenia that is about to burst into bloom.

The front edge has Lobelia, Coreopsis (mahogany midget & moonbeam), Astancia & Bachelor buttons. There are lots of Liatrius, Coneflowers and flowering thistle. I planted 6 lilly bulbs 3 years ago and now have over 25 blooming stems - they must like it there!

Lilies, Cleome & Peony Poppies

Peony Poppy close up - crazy stem!

Also my first Petunias from seed - dolce Flambe. I guess I should have weeded the front walk before taking pics :)

Comments (13)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I must try those Flemish Antique peony poppies. Where did you buy your seed?

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Those poppies are lovely and artistic- I think even the little buds are so neat to look at!

• mandolls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got the seed from Parks, here is the link. I wish they were not all down turning, but they are gorgeous. Mine are in the 4ft. high range, but my bed only gets 5-6 hr.s of sun, so everything is on the tall side. I have to leave town tomorrow for a week and expect them to really be in full bloom when I get back. They supposedly keep blooming all summer - we will see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flemish Antique Peony Poppy

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Love your garden! Do you remember what type of lilies those are (their name?) It is a very nice red. Every red I've tried has been more of a dark, rusty orange. I prefer your red!

GGG

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

Mandolls- Your house and yard look a lot like mine.

I Love the "Commander-In-Chief" lilies with the Flemish Antique peony poppies. I may have to steal that idea (lol).

Thanks for posting. Your arrangements are beautiful.
    -Sprout (Linda)

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

(I love your name)

Do the Flemish antique peony poppies re-seed every year?
    Thanks,
    -Sprout (Linda)

• mandolls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sprout - I am in NW WI about an hour from the Twin Cities. The user name is left over from when I was collecting boy dolls on ebay.

This being the first year for me with the poppies, I dont know if they re-seed. But it seems almost nothing re-seeds in my yard except for weeds, so I doubt it.

I built a decent light set up this winter and grew lots and lots from seed, and didn't buy a single new plant (except for some dwarf fruit trees). Tending all of those seedlings during March/April/May was a way to extend the gardening season for me. I didn't grow up in WI and part of me still expects Spring to arrive in March/April. Having 20 or so trays of seedlings going helped a lot.

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

Mandolls- So funny - I used to collect Asian Barbies on E-bay.

Your house may look familiar to me because I also live in WI (1/2 hour from the Twin Cities) in Hudson.

Small world.
    -Sprout

• grandmachris
    12 years ago

Mandolls--I enjoyed seeing your astrantia. I'm about to
    try it again. I've never really gotten good bloom. Does
    it like colder weather than our zone 5?

Chris

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Lovely!
    My peony poppies do re-seed. A soon as the head dries and the top pops up, shake the seeds where you want them next year. It will look like a wind damaged umbrella and you can see little "windows" under that.
    I learned this years ago.I think Mother nature knows better than seed packages.

I also mix them with sugar and sprinkle them. This keeps them from landing a a small area or pile and the sugar feeds the soil.

Kathy

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

WOW! Interesting - thanks, Kathy.
    -Sprout

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

WOW! Interesting - thanks, Kathy.
    -Sprout

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Great tip about the sugar Kathy!