Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindysunshine_gw

Home Preservation Continued - Roasted Tomatoes for Cindy

cindysunshine
13 years ago

I made a batch which we scarfed down and did a second one which produced those 4 half pint jars. They'd be really nice to wrap a bow around as Christmas gifts - that stuff is great any way I've tried it - excellent just added to pasta as is. See the harvest from yesterday? Will be ready this weekend. :)

Comments (18)

• FlowerGardener
    13 years ago

Please share your recipie with us. They look very tasty and tempting to make some from the tomatoes I hope to pick.

• ianna
    13 years ago

yes do please share your recipe with us.

Ianna

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have done them a couple ways - I followed the recipe in the link below pretty much this year. I shipped fresh rosemary and thyme from the garden on top with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. It works great to just put the unpeeled garlic cloves on top the tomatoes then squeeze out the whole roasted cloves and tuck them in on the edges of each jar. The 2nd batch I added the garlic about half-way thru - it roasted fine in that length of time. My tomatoes were in bigger wedges and it took 5-6 hours to cook them down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted Tomato Recipe

• natal
    13 years ago

Are you keeping those in the refrigerator or freezer?

I love to roast roma tomatoes! Even in the middle of winter those flavorless grocery store tomatoes turn into a magical treat when roasted. They're great on toasted crostini with goat cheese.

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am canning them - into jelly jars and processing for 40-45 minutes.

• natal
    13 years ago

Are you adding acid? I did a quick search on the Harvest forum and you might want to double check over there that it's a safe thing to do especially if you're considering giving them as gifts.

Here is a link that might be useful: canning roasted tomatoes?

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I did not add acid - I thought tomatoes were already acidic and having cooked them for 6 hours they seemed pretty ready for canning up.

But I am not an expert on this - I can stick them in the refrigerator for good measure for sure. The first batch we just ate up and I only have made 4 jars so far.

What do you add for 'acid' - is this like lemon juice? I certainly understand the need for care in this area - but when I think of the sloppy canning my grandmother did when we were growing up it's a wonder we are even alive today.

I will do some research - I haven't honestly canned a whole lot - mostly jam and jelly and I did do some chutneys and things which would have vinegar in them.

• natal
    13 years ago

Tomatoes present the threat of botulism if not canned properly. I'm linking another thread from the Harvest forum. Two of the posters ... Readinglady and LindaLou ... are very knowledgeable regarding food preservation.

Jams & jellies are much less likely to create problems. Mold is usually the only thing you have to worry about with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: another thread on canning roasted tomatoes

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I am planning on canning tomatoes this year and adding some citric acid. It seems to be easy and inexpensive.
    Look at that harvest Cindy! My goodness. Here I am in zone 8b and I've had cherries and that's about it! My tomatoes are growing GINORMOUSLY HUGE but not ripening. We have some tomatoes that look like 3lbs each, but none ripe. It's frustrating, but I think the heat is playing havvoc with them. Last year they were late for unknown reasons...so odd.

I can't wait to can mine! So far I've put up tons of jams and loose syrup jellies and plan for more. I am going fig picking tomorrow too, and hope to can them as well. I just use lemon juice for them.

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That recipe said to add 2T lemon juice to each quart so that would be just 1/2 T per half pint and next time I may actually do pints. I have a Ball canning book but it is probably 10 years old and I probably should get a new one.

I put the 4 little jars in the fridge - we will eat them up promptly.

I never take the skins off - they bother some people and just don't really bother me. I didn't know oil was a problem in canning things, though. I did process them for 50 minutes but I don't have a pressure canner.

The stuff tastes GREAT though.

Yes we are at harvest peak here and really my plants don't look very good so it won't go on forever - but I can't tell you how delicious those tomatoes taste. The ones on the counter in the pic are the ones I just picked so they need a couple days to ripen. The golden ones are Kellogg's Breakfast which taste really great with marvelous meaty texture.

Next year I am going to do the multi-colored cherries - they will be great to roast like this and cook up so nicely - I also used to grow a big paste tomato called San Remo - a very similar replacement is called Italian Pompeii that I want to grow again - great big meaty low juice tomatoes that are fabulous for cooking - just takes a few to make a pan of sauce. And productive like you can't believe.

The waiting can be endless but then all of a sudden they turn and there you have ripe tomatoes. :)

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I broke down and bought a pressure canner today and a new Ball canning book. Afternoon reading and I'm ready now for anything. I really wanted to do green beans earlier this year and skipped it.

Thx for the advice all - I've been out of the loop on this for too long.

• natal
    13 years ago

Cindy, I always wanted to try pickled green beans. Have a recipe from Emeril that sounds so good. Maybe I'll pull out the canner and try it with my fall harvest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Rosemary Pickled Green Beans

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

I am giving the roasted tomatoes a try this year, too. So far, with DH gleefully eating about 4 tomato sandwiches a day, we don't have a lot of leftovers. But that means I can experiment with very small batches in the toaster oven until I figure out what works best for me. Although I've been trying to limit the number of seeds in my version, I noticed the recipe for the roasted tomatoes has lots of seeds. I heard that tomato seeds can make things taste bitter. When you eat the roasted cherry tomatoes with seeds, do you notice any bitterness?

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The seeds don't really bother me - but I don't use cherry tomatoes. What I do it cut the big tomatoes in half between the stem and blossom end and squeeze over the sink - most of the seeds come out and it's really easy.

Then I cut each half in quarters or halves depending on how big they are.

Another great thing to do with them is make soup - add skim milk or part half and half or whatever you like and whirl with a stick blender. I plan to do that in the winter with the ones I've canned.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Your tomato crop looks sooo good. Wish I could grow them here but it's just too much bother between the possibility of frost and the critters that get them.

The roasted tomatoes sound really good and I may try that if I get some good ones at the farmer's market. Thanks for the recipe.

• natal
    13 years ago

Lucky, any tomato turns into a treat when roasted. Since plum tomatoes are more dense than beefsteaks they really roast well. I buy them year round.

{{gwi:91160}}

{{gwi:91162}}

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my can I come for dinner? How great does that look!

I have another batch in the oven which I think should yield about 3 pints - it feels good to clear some off the counters since I brought in another big container from the garden this morning.

I will have to read the directions on my pressure canner next.

I made scalloped tomatoes for lunch where you toss them with bread croutons and top with parmesan - boy was that good. Another winner way to enjoy the bounty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smitten Cook Scalloped Tomatoes

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Great smitten blog, thanks for sharing!