Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseberri

plants that surprise you

roseberri, z6
12 years ago

hi! last year I planted a cypress vine on my new arbor, I knew it was related to Morning Glories, but I did NOT know that it would reseed itself in the same way! I have baby cypress vines coming up everywhere!(somehow I thought it was more tender than that!) I let a few grow but the rest have to be pulled out! Live and learn!

roseberri

Comments (12)

• natal
    12 years ago

I haven't grown cypress vine in years, but still find volunteers. They're quickly pulled.

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

Malabar spinich, I saw it and just had to have it. It is as bad or worse than cypress vine at reseeding. Thankfully they are easy to pull out when small. It is beautiful with maroon stems and clusters of purple berries. Only yesterday did I decide to try to be rid of it forever. I ripped out the mature vines and pulled the seedlings.

• roseberri, z6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the warning soxxxx!

• ianna
    12 years ago

I didn't know malabar spinach reseeded.

I have a beautiful opium poppy that grew in the midst of my garden bed. I hand't seeded poppies for a couple of years so this was a surprise.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Well, it's not a reseeding-type of surprise, but it was a surprise none-the-less.

The first time I grew hollyhocks, they looked like this:

I almost didn't try them again, but figured I might as well use up the remaining seeds.

This year, I have this.

• roseberri, z6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What did you do differently lois?

ianna; that was a nice surprise! actually the cypress vine coming back was nice too as my husband really liked it,
    but not so many!:)
    roseberri

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Pampered them with good soil and regular water. At least I think that's why it's doing better. I planted the one that looks good between some roses that were planted in lots of compost and get watered every week by soaker hose.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I tend to get holyhocks, poppies, daisies and even snapdragons popping up all over the place from self seeding. I love it! Talk about a cottage garden! Same thing with the sunflowers that the birds drop. I don't usually pull them out and welcome any others that like to make my yard home. Fennel is another one. Can't say I care for the weeds and the million or so baby trees we get every year.

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

OO I was wondering if snapdragons would reseed in colder zones. I wonder if they are good candidates for winter sowing.

And uh oh on the cypress vine--I just planted some along the new deer garden. Hm...will have to decide if I want it to reseed.

• cardwellave
    12 years ago

Coneflowers and shasta daisies. I thought they were pretty foolproof. To my shock the june bugs have eaten the heck out of them. They look terrible :( Some of my favorite plants too.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I have never really done any winter sowing specifically but I have had snapdragons even overwinter here depending on ttheir location. Tucked in on the edge of turf or in planters in the garage. They reseed freely in the garden and are considered cool weather germinators so I can't see why they wouldn't winter sow well. :)

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Snapdragons winter sow very well for me. I sow some each year as well as have self sown ones each spring.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County