Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

My Iris order came.

plantmaven
12 years ago

They are big beautiful and healthy fans. Now I need ideas on how to plant them. They are all tall and with in the same few inches in height, so I don't think that is a concern

Do you plant them by colors?

Or

By bloom sequence.

Among other plants

all together in no particular order

For now, I think I will plant them all in a shady location until it cools down. No rain and 100's in the forseeable future. I most likely won't plant them where I want them until Sept.

Kathy

Comments (10)

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

Kathy, any of your suggestions would work. I tend to mix in other flowers as well. I like to mix the bloom sequence so that the entire area has color for an extended time.

What colors did you order? Do you grow any reblooming iris? I have been tempted to try some, although I don't know how successful I would be with our shorter growing season.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have a yellow reblooming that is blooming right now in this horrid heat. This is the 3rd time it has bloomer this year. I divided it last year and shared with my son.

Both pictures were taken in the spring. Things certainly don't look that good now.

{{gwi:641033}}

I wound up with 6 assorted pinks, Three blacks, and 2 greenish.
    They also sent me one as a gift. I looked it up and it is one they charge $50 for. The ones I ordered were all between $5 to $7.
    Just one of all the following
    pink & blue
    white and blue
    white and lavender
    pink & lavender
    white and brownish
    yellow & apricot
    peach and cream
    coral
    Two of the bye bye blackbird are repeat bloomers.

I ordered some that came in the spring also. They are probably similar, as I don't care for reds. Some of those are rebloomers.
    I already have a million of a NOID old purple. In a year with rain they get about 4 1/2 feet tall.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boy, y'all sure let me down. :(
    I was hoping for a few pictures.

At Annie's suggestion, I will plant them, today, in pots until it gets a tad cooler

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

plantmaven, that's so exciting, but I can't help you as I don't grow them. Hopefully nyrita will see this because she grows tons of irises in mixed beds and has a lot great pictures she had posted earlier this spring. :)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Kathy, just the opposite here. I been planting in pots because of rain, we've had so much the last couple of years. This way their roots are established before planting out and I can protect them from the rain.
    I've ordered some more bearded dwarfs and one or two talls this spring, they should be here soon. So far our summer has been wet and cool, haven't had any summer to speak of yet 8(. I'll probably plant these in pots for the time being, plant them out the end of september if it isn't too wet, if we're still swimming in rain they'll probably stay in pots through the winter, plant out in the spring.

I ordered a few tall bearded last year, some of them bloomed while still in their pots.

Clarence

Queen Dorothy

Secret Service

World Premiere

I used to have quite a few iris in the 70's but then got the fuchsia bug. Guess what, I've been bitten by the iris bug again thanks to a certain iris loving GW'er :).

If only we could exchange some of your heat for some of our rain, sighhhhh, wishful thinking huh.

Annette

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nett, I was thinking the same thing about heat and rain.

I think the U.S. should build some sort of canal or aqua duct system to channel flood waters to the dry states. That would also create jobs.

My first order of iris fans was not nearly as beautiful as this order. (diff companies). I am pretty sure there were a couple of clarence in those.

• Merilia
    12 years ago

Dry states tend to be the ones in the rain shadow of a mountain range--even if our government had the money to spare for it, digging canals through the Rockies simply isn't realistic. If you're at a lower elevation than an area that gets a lot of rain, the problem tends to solve itself in the form of rivers. We've already got an impressive amount of engineering in place in the form of dams and levees, but the combination of an expanding population and climate change means we can look forward to a very interesting future...

• todancewithwolves
    12 years ago

Love your Iris pictures, ladies.

I was going to post an Iris question and I found this thread so I'll pose the question in here . . .

When is the best time to divide Iris's?

Thank you!

Edna

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Edna, here you are, I was mentioning you over on the "Who's still here" thread over on conversations. How are the butterflies this year, we actually had a BIG swallowtail flitting around for a couple of days, yeah I know I'm highjacking the thread but it's so good to hear from you :)

Now back on topic...In my neck of the woods ideally we divide Bearded Iris end of July/August but I've been doing some now as I clean out the bed they were growing in.

Annette

• todancewithwolves
    12 years ago

Thank you, Annette!!! I will start dividing them this weekend. The rhizomes look so crowded and I had no idea what to do. I'll start a new thread on butterflies.

Ed-

Sponsored