Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese wisteria summmer bloom

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 9:37

The Chinese wisteria 'tree' is doing a nice summer bloom this year. This year has been a very weird one for it - the strange weather we've been having since early spring obviously confused it a lot. The leaves emerged about two weeks early in spring - and totally hid the spring flowers! So I've been hoping for a good summer bloom to make up for the lack of show in the spring. It has produced a nicer-than-usual summer bloom that is also weeks earlier than normal. The summer bloom usually is at its peak in late July but it is blooming nicely now. The flowers don't show up against the foliage very well in photos - it's much prettier in 'real life' :-) This picture is from early this morning:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Has anyone else had their wisterias perform strangely this year...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese wisteria summmer bloom

That's beautiful. I've never grown wisteria.

o

Lovely, we're so far behind this year mine has just finished it's first bloom.

Annette

o

You've done a nice job pruning that Wisteria, Woody. Great shape! Happy for you that you got another round of bloom. Is it fragrant this time around?

o

Yes, it's fragrant both times. The fragrance isn't strong though - it doesn't carry far. Normally the spring bloom is so profuse that the scent is noticeable in the surrounding area in early morning. The summer bloom is considerably less profuse so the scent isn't obvious unless you sniff the individual flowers. The young Japanese wisteria flowered for the first time this spring - its scent is really nice too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here