Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crackingtheconcrete

It's a Bon Bon Cosmos Party (and lilies) Pics

I scattered handfuls of cosmos in my containers this year to fill out the edges and add some of that fantastic frothy texture to the garden, and I'm really happy with it.

The Bon Bon Rose Cosmos first blooms were disappointing, but now they look great!

Cosmos Dancing Dolls

Seashells Cosmo

{{gwi:260253}}

Lilium Orania with Thalictrum "Elin"

Silk Road Lilies

Comments (15)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Those are fantastic!!! I am envious of your double cosmos. I planted some of those this spring, but I guess the rain washed those out with a bunch of other direct sown things. Boo! Never seen those 'Dancing Dolls' cosmos before. Like the streaking on them.

That pic with the Oriana lily and thalictrum is my favorite though! Stellar combo.
    CMK

• journalbee
    12 years ago

lovely! i will add cosmos to my list for next year.
    tfs

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Those are all Gorgeous,those cosmos look almost like the dahlias,and those lilies are to die for.Love them all.TFS
    Kathi

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for looking. Interestingly enough, the first blooms of all these cosmos were tiny and lopsided or not fully puffy, but they just keep getting better and better and last quite a while.
    CMK, I'm in love with tall plants that have airy enough foliage I can plant things behind it and it offsets them. This Thalictrum is a gem and it grows in half shade.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

How pretty! I've never tried any of the different kinds of cosmos, just the regular old pink ones. Your lilies are gorgeous.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Well how pretty your garden is! I especially like the dancing Dolls Cosmos.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Love the lilies but especially love the cosmos. You really are very creative adding the cosmos seeds for the texture of the folliage and of course the pretty flowers.

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much :)
    I also combined Love-in-a-mist this year and I'm half crazy in love with its foliage and little flower bursts, so I'm definitely going to plant more of those seeds next year also. :)
    The lilies smell incredible at night.

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

Absolutely stunning! I love how planting in containers enables you to move, mix and match. The photos are amazing. Thanks so much for posting them. I look forward to seeing more.
    -Sprout (Linda)

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, sprout ;) lol. I actually think at this point in my life, having to work with containers is great fun and I very much love the challenge of surprising people who just see the ugly apartment building and then say, ""wow, I had no idea this was back here"
    (Usually followed by a thoughtful pause and .."are these all YOURS???"
    *shrinks*
    Ummm, yes,...I have a small plant-buying problem *cough*

• natal
    12 years ago

Love your Bon Bons! I seeded some this spring, but none germinated. Had the same problem with the Psyche Whites. Last year they were huge and plentiful ... this year nothing.

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

natal, you seeded from seeds that you dried and saved? They were maybe sterile? I was thinking of trying to save them and see if I can get them to germinate over the winter (just a few) so I would know if I should buy more or not. :)

• natal
    12 years ago

The Bon Bons were new and some of the Psyche Whites. I did save Psyche Whites from last year and sow those too, but I came up empty all around ... except for the regular Cosmos bipinnatus.

• shive
    12 years ago

You have some wonderful cosmos. I love the Bon Bons and the Dancing Dolls.

• DYH
    12 years ago

Very pretty! Cosmos are "happy" flowers--they always make me smile!

Thanks for sharing.

Cameron

Sponsored