Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martina_deluca

My Cottagey garden (pic heavy)

Martina DeLuca
11 years ago

I live in Florida and mix in subtropical plants with my cottage style. Here are some pics....

Colocasia Mojito with A St. Vincent vine flower

My rose garden

Another view

An antique

A new addition. King Neptune.....a $60 find on Craigslist.

Thanks for looking,

Tina

Comments (24)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Tina, gorgeous plants and I'm in love with your Colocasia, I have to grow these in containers here and take them in for the winter.
    I bought small starts of 'Black Coral' and 'Blue Hawaii' this year but they don't look like much yet. I'll be on the lookout for 'Mojito' it's a real beauty. Thanks for sharing your tropical cottage garden with us.

Annette

• Martina DeLuca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to add this pic of an antique rose with a Heliconia in the background.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Tina, all your plants are so pretty! I also love the Colocasia. Your antique gnome is adorable.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

OOOOOO, I get so excited when I read picture heavy!

Wonderful pics. I like you yellow brick house.

Kathy

• mytime
    11 years ago

I love Craigslist to find gardening stuff...but that King Neptune is a real find!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Lovely garden. What are those yellow and hot pink flowers in front of your antique gnome? I have never seen those before. Quite striking. That plant in your fifth photo down with the striped leaves is breathtaking, as is your Mojito.
    Renee

• Martina DeLuca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

Renee, the yellow and pink flowers are Portulaca 'All Aglow'.
    The striped plant is Calathea Zebrina.

• scully931
    11 years ago

Wow, I love everything!

• midnitecrafter
    11 years ago

i love your gardens !!! It sure is nice to see what others are growing in their gardens that I'm not able to grow here in wisconsin.

• Charlotte Willner
    11 years ago

I am so tickled seeing your Calatheas next to that Lamium! What wonderful contrast! You are so lucky to be able to grow these things in the ground -- what beautiful plants.

• Martina DeLuca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Scully.

Midnitecrafter, I'm the same way. I love to see all the wonderful plants that can be grown above my zone. That's why I like this forum.

Cornellcottage, I push my zone with Lamium. I keep it in cooler weather, but once our rainy season starts it really suffers. I love it though, so I grow it every year.

• mccoml
    11 years ago

Your gardens beautiful, but the plant you have on your arbor is the invasive air potato. It'll take over all your other plants, and it is a major problem here in Florida. I would dig it up if I were you, and plant something else in its place.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

How lovely of you to post these pictures. It is soooo nice to see how gardeners in Southern zones combine their treasures. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Pat

• nulty
    11 years ago

Very Tropical appearance,.. which is beautiful,..and what a beauty your Antique Rose is,..interesting Gnome as well.

• Martina DeLuca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mccoml, thanks. I have 3 vines growing on the one arbor. Grown from seeds of vines that I grow every year. One is the perennial blue morning glory and the other 2 are moon vine and a mini red morning glory. It's probably the moon vine leaves you are thinking look similar to the air potato. I'll have to take pics if it blooms red, white and blue all together. Right now, only the mini reds are blooming.

Thanks Patann and Glengarry.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Hi Tina,

How did your Mojito make it through the winter? Surely it has come back by now. My two Mojitos came back but were very, very small - even though under the protection of a tree and heavily mulched. I was lucky to even see them. You could put each one in the palm of my hand. I dug them up and potted them where I could protect them and keep an eye on them. I think this year they will go in the ground in sunken pots so I can bring them inside for the winter.

Carol in Jacksonville

• Annie
    10 years ago

Wow!
    Very pretty garden!

I like Neptune and your antique gnome.
    The Tropicals are gorgeous. Ive had quite a few over the years. Still have some. I had a Heliconia for two years. It looked rather like a Toucan bird. I lost it when we had an ice storm the next winter and the power was out for a week. I wonder if I still have some photos of it?
    What is the white rose with pale pink? Stunning!
    Your whole place is beautiful. What a terrific view!
    ~Annie

• luvgardening_ma
    10 years ago

TFS your garden. Just beautiful. Love the Calathea, Portulaca and Colocasia. I finally was able to get out and clean up my hill garden yesterday. There was just a tiny patch of snow left from where it had been piled from clearing our driveway. Yesterday was the first day that the wind didn't blow you away so raking was easy. My snowdrops and crocus are blooming here but the daffodils are only a few inches high. My only gardening right now are the seedlings I have started. That keeps me happy for now :) Come on spring!

Marlene

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Beautiful garden! Love all the photos. It is fascinating to see what country gardens look like in different climates and locals.
    kay

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

I want one! I want one! I want a yard like yours!!

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Very beautiful !

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

Thanks for the lovely pics! WOW! You get the most amazing colors of stuff to grow! I am trying to nurse a Colocasia...it barely has 2 leaves...just sprouts really...and I found a tent catapillar on it!grrr!

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

What's the striped foliage plant?

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

TFS your gardens,all the ??? I had have already been answered.I also love the colocasias,and those striped plants beneath the rose,love the rose as well.Does the plant with the striped leaves flower,and if so what are the flowers like.
    Kathi

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz