Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

sweet peas

ianna
9 years ago

I had planted sweet peas in March-- and to this date no blooms and no signs that these would bloom. It's summer now but here in Ontario we've had a lot of rain and cool weather (between muggy hot weather).. so should I just give up:and pull out the plants. The vines are not yellowing and is still going strong.

What are your opinons/experiences this year about sweet peas?

Ianna

Comments (13)

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I planted perennial sweet peas one Spring but didn't have blooms until the following year. I'm not that experienced with growing swt.peas so not sure if that is normal or not. My vines are now three years old and full of bloom, vigorous with no yellowing foliage. They are planted on the Eastern side of a small barn, get morning and mid-morning sun only.

As for annual swt.peas, I have never had much luck getting blooms before the plants succumb. Maybe a few blossoms on spindly stalks. And there are so many beautiful varieties I have a hard time resisting trying again every Spring. It could be the location where I plant them, but they either get too dry or become unhappy if I over-water. How is your soil? Did you start from seed or plants?

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

these are annuals and i normally get blooms by late spring. the strange weather patterns have affected the plants no doubt.

I start mine out from seeds which I would soak overnight for planting. I have clay soil but I've broken it up with compost. it's in fact great soil now.. Lots of good nutrients and water does not disappear too quickly.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

If the vines are healthy I would not pull them up. They still have the potential to bloom and I'm sure they will.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi ianna,
    well you are not alone with your problem,..i got seeds from Oregon last year but they didn't bloom so i thought that was the end of them as our sweet pea die come winter,..lo and behold they started growing here in early July,..reached six foot and produced very nice blooms to date.

Philip

• User
    9 years ago

My usual Sweet Pea Blooms.

Video==Sweet Pea

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll hold off then.. If it blooms in August which is the height of summer here, I would be very surprised.

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have those sweet peas and I get mine from suppliers or heritage types. Hope they do bloom.. sigh..

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Glengarry's first picture shows perennial sweet pea, Lathyrus latifolius. I believe Ianna is talking about Annual sweet peas, Lathyrus odoratus, as shown in glengarry's second picture.

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Flora, That's right. As I explained to schoolhouse I have annuals. Perennial ones tend to grow rampant and I want to be able to change the blooms every year.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Ianna - my sweet peas just started blooming just last week. I really wish I'd kept the packages for the brand. so many of the seeds we planted this spring are not what they were supposed to be, but i have lovely lilac sweet peas so far.

Nancy.

• roseberri, z6
    9 years ago

Ianna,
    I was reading about sweet peas and apparently they come in several species which are dependent on day length for bloom. I hope this link works for you, did your sweet peas ever bloom?
    roseberri

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet peas

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

roseberri, those blooms are so pretty. Yet indeed mine has finally bloomed. It's more do to with the cool summer and the somewhat late start of the season. I did plant my seeds early but for some reason plant growth was delayed. Ontario has been experiencing an unusually cool summer which has delayed a number of plants.

It also has caused a number of plants to die due to an increase blight infestations. I've lost my harry lauder walking stick and also now my sambuca is being affected. I have noticed what looks like a chemical spill splashed on the leaves of my rudbeckia goldsturm. I'm fearing another kind of infestation. Lots are dying off although its not easy to spot in my very dense yard.

• roseberri, z6
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear of your dying plants , we too have had a lot of losses due to the harsh winter. Here it has rained so much that things are water logged causing some to get brown and die now and weeds are thriving. Oh well, each year has it's challenges!
    roseberri

Sponsored