my front yard garden in spring

ianna
9 years ago

its been a while since i shared a photo of my yard... here it is

Here is a link that might be useful: spring garden

Comments (11)

• User
    9 years ago

Very nice display ianna,..i love a shot like that as i can identify those blooms and all very healthy looking.

Philip

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Phil. This is actually more of my version of a meadow garden but with a cottage gardening twist. Not too visible in this display are peonies that have gone past the flowering stage. This is the blue and purple stage. The summer yard which I will post later, definitely evokes a meadow garden with rudbeckias, poppies and echinaceas in bloom.

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

but there are pinks in bloom which I like to contrast against the salvia cardonna..

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    9 years ago

Oh that first picture is a winner and a great flowering Clematis into the bargain,..pinks and pinkish in bloom looks good,..do you by chance go for certain colours/colors.

Philip

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HI Philip, Well I tend to go for warm but not hot shades. The yard starts off with the blues, purples and then graduates to pinks, some whites and then by late summer, we have the yellows..

The idea is to organize perennials so there's continues blooms and interest. It kind of attracts people to one or two flowers at first and then they spot something else and then something. there are varieties of shapes - from spirals to umbrells to daisies. The knautia macedonias and veronicastrum will sway to the wind - so there;s movement as well. I can stay there for hours just observing the blooms and its always interesting.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi ianna,
    i noticed the warm shades but not hot ones and liked the colour tones you have blues purples and the pinks they blend very well and i liked them.

I do have blooms up to and during winter and its then one can walk through the paths,.. however during summer the paths fill in and there are plants i will have no choice but to brush against but not thorny ones,..mints and sage,..curry bush,.. purple fennel and lemon balm.

My garden is a jungle of plants,..not to everyone's liking but i like being engulfed with blooms,..my choice of plants was down to what ever cuttings or plant swap i could lay my hands on as the idea of creating a garden without buying any plants was what i set out to do though at times i am tempted when near a garden center lol,..very hard to resist a new plant.

Philip

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should put up more photos later. Funny thing about this site is somehow I couldn't post more than just one photo. there must be a step I must be missing.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Ianna,
    here's what i posted a little while ago to someone on the cactus and succulent forum.maybe it will help you with picture posting.

Chuy,the way i do so many in one post is to open the pictures,then minimize that post,then open the garden web,start that post then minimize that one as well,then i go back and forth,bring up the pictures,choose one,grab the HTML line,and it will pop up yellow and say copied,then i bring up the GW page and paste the copied picture to that.I keep doing that til i'm done.
    I know there's another way of doing it also,as my gs showed me,but i forgot how to do it.

David,i don't know what that plant with the silver is,i have a couple of those and that silver just peels off.If anyone knows the name of it,feel free to tell us.
    Kathi

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

I love, love, love your iris - I need to get some in my front garden for next year!! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy.

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, I got them from Veseys but they are also available from Botanus.. I plan to add more soon.

• ianna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kathi, I'm able to post but the second photo just doesn't come out..

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County