Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Zinnias

plantmaven
12 years ago

I remember someone asking about reseeding zinnias.

Last year in July/August I scattered seeds.

In april I was going to put down mulch. So I decided to saok the soil really well before putting it down.

I was very surprised in just a few days to see zinnias poking their heads up in a lot of places.

they are now blooming.

Comments (27)

• natal
    12 years ago

Are you saying those were seeded last summer, but never bloomed then?

What are the pinks ones in the center of your last pic?

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

I was going to ask the same question. Those cream and pink ones in the center back really caught my eye.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The pink is also a zinnia! It is by far the prettiest.
    I went out and took a closeup for you.

After mine bloomed last year, I scattered their seeds for this year. So they were down on the soil for about 8 months.

Point being that I did not do anything except toss them in the garden.

• natal
    12 years ago

Knew those were zinnias. Curious which variety? They're so pretty!

I'm surprised your seeds didn't grow last year. I sow too and last summer I tossed some in one of the veggie garden beds after I pulled the tomato plants. They grew and bloomed then.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Wow, they look wonderful! I love it. I really like zinnias because they are so colorful and easy plus they just bloom so much and are so pretty. In fact I just tossed some zinnia seeds here to and waiting for them to come up.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nat ~ Sorry, I have no clue what type they are.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Beautiful!
    I love Zinnias too. So colorful. Butterflies love them too, adding to their colorful-ness in the garden. :)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have few butterflies this year.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Havn't seen any sign of my zinnias yet this year,hmmmmmmmm.I love those and also portulacas,2 of my favorites.
    kathi

• DYH
    12 years ago

Wonderful display! Zinnias have to be one of the most rewarding annuals to grow from seeds.

I had a few zinnias self-sow and planted more. They do change shape and colors because the pollinators (hummingbirds, bees, butterflies, etc.) cross-pollinate. I've had some very interesting blooms on the same plant during the same bloom time! I keep cutting mine back during the first part of the summer to use in vases and to make them bloom more, but then leave a few for the self-sowing.

Cameron

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It did not dawn on me about them cross pollinating. Guess that's why so many are single with high centers.

Thanks for looking

• DYH
    12 years ago

Makes sense -- the singles with centers are preferred by pollinators more than doubles and hybrids.

• silvergirl426_gw
    12 years ago

I just googled pastel pink zinnias and came up with luminosa pink zinnias that looked just like the pink ones in the pic. I got a packet a couple years ago of pastel shaded zinnias, and was able to make the seeds last two years. Those pastels reignited my love for zinnias -- I quite like muted colors in the garden -- generally not a feature of the zinnia. Those pink ones are beautiful! Although my wintersown cosmos are flowering, the zinnias are nowhere near blooms yet in my (cold)neck of the woods. lucia

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, that sure looks like it. Nice to have a name for them.

k

• dls0323
    12 years ago

Planted zinnia seeds for the first time since I was a child gardening with my grandmother. They are simply spectacular. Bed now has zinnias well over 4 feet. I am simply thrilled.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

The zinnias are really pretty. I had a lot more to "volunteer" than I expected and I love zinnias, and had ordered some Zowies when the lovely pictues were posted last year, I am so glad I did. they are lovely.

kay

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

all those pictures are just beautiful - I love zinnias also and have them every year both new ones and reseeders. If you have yellow finches in your area they will flock to the zinnia seeds. I let mine start going to seed in early August and the finches have a real feast - makes for quite a sight to see :) .....

Lynne

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

Zinnias are my absolute #1 favorite cutting flower. Down in Georgia I grew them because they were cheap (seeds), beautiful, could handle neglect, and would grow just about anywhere. That last one was important since we were mostly renting and I wasn't going to pour money into a lot of gardening. Those Mexicans flowers LOVE the heat! And, that must be why up here in NH I just don't have the luck with them. I absolutely love the weather up here, but I do miss the zinnias! I have a cutting garden with them now, and we'll have to see how long it takes them to bloom. They are still pretty immature pants!

Your zinnias are just beautiful. If only we could be as happy in the heat waves, right?!

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I planted zinnias 2 yrs ago,singles and they were bushy.sved the seed and last year none came up and was told they were a hybrid. I planted some this year that are singles and tall and rest I thought were to be short and bushy but I must gotten the wrong kind,they are not short & bushy. Does anyone know name of these short bushy zinnias.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

Try the Magellan variety. I know they are shorter.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe profusion or thumbelia.

Here is a link that might be useful: thumbelinia mix

• ladybugsmom192
    12 years ago

not to hijack this post, but i came here to post a question about my zinnias -

can they be transplanted once they get about 10-12 inches high (no blooms yet and stated from seed)??
    they're getting really tall, a bit spindly/leggy, so i'm thinking they need more sun, therefore transplanting them to a better/sunnier spot.

what do you all think?

thanks for your help!

~ angela :)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would chance it if you are not having a heatwave.
    The pretty pink and cream and several others were transplanted at about 6 inches and I cut off about an inch. Seen in picture #3.

Many years ago an elderly lady told me how to transplant with less stress. Make the area you will be moving them to very very wet and soupy. Then shade them for a few days.
    I would also cut them back by about 1/3.

Good luck.

Kathy

• ladybugsmom192
    12 years ago

hi cathy, thanks for the info!

shucks, we've had overcasts days with little to no sun for the last several days, and now we're warming up - no heatwave though (low/mid 80s).

when you say cut them, from which end? not the root end, right? from the top?

thanks!

~angela :)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, cut off the top by approx.1/3. I would leave at least 4 or 5 leaves on the plant.

And you are welcome. Always happy to "enable".

• ladybugsmom192
    12 years ago

thanks so very, very much! i'm so excited!

~ angela :)

• janroze
    12 years ago

IMO, there is nothing so cheery as a bed of zinnias. Thanks for the boost. gramma jan

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting