Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Pretty trio of colors

DYH
12 years ago

I planted something SIMILAR in my garden, but this was a photo I took while out and about. The plants were labeled, but there's a twist to the type of rudbeckia. How many of you have planted rudbeckia 'Prairie Sun' from seeds and gotten the green eye? I got a brown eye and so did the folks who planted these.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Inspiration

Comments (8)

• natal
    12 years ago

I grew 3 Prairie Sun from seed this year. All have green eyes.

• natal
    12 years ago

Meant to add that I have a few Pow Wows that never bloomed taller than about 6 inches. No idea what that's about.

• DYH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Natal - my Prairie Sun have brown eyes. My Pow Wows still haven't bloomed, but I bought them as seed-grown small plants at a greenhouse. Don't know if they look better in the 2nd year? If mine will look like the ones I saw, I'll be thrilled.

The voles took out most of my echinacea 'Prairie Splendor' over the winter and those were the best echinaceas that I'd ever grown for the small space in my cottage garden.

Cameron

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

That is a great color combo. What is a "Pow-wow", out of total curiosity?

• DYH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Echinacea 'Pow Wow Wild Berry'
    Rudbeckia hirta 'Prairie Sun'
    Salvia farinacea 'Evolution'

• Annie
    12 years ago

Cameron,
    I grew Prairie Sun from seeds several years ago and it had a green eye, much like Irish Eyes.

Pow Wow is gorgeous! I bought one little Ruby Star this year. Probably won't bloom this year. Hope it winters over okay. It is doing great in this heat. If it comes out a true Ruby color, I will be thrilled. Hope to get some of the yellow and orange ones too someday.

Going to sow White Swan again for next year. I grew them from seeds and had it thriving for several years, but voles got them. The petals are the purist of white with black stems. I love how it bows its head - very like a swan. I have one Primadonna left. It has tones of green to the white and green stems.

Salvia Evolution has such a deep blue-violet color. I love it. Is it for zones 9-11 because it is a tender perennial?

Thanks for sharing that with us. I bet yours comes out every bit as beautiful. You are such an awesome gardener, in spite of the deer, voles and rabbits. :)

If I still have some Prairie Sun seeds with GREEN eyes, I will send you some. I will check in my seed box. The plants and blooms were much bigger than Irish Eyes, and the colors were more vivid. I may still have some. I'll let you know.;)

~Annie

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

That is, indeed a beautiful color combination.

• DYH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am seeing seeds are available for 'Pow Wow White' echinacea, but I've not seen that one in bloom yet. My 'White Swan' blooms are great. It takes two years for me to get blooms from Swan when sowing seeds. 'Prairie Splendor' blooms first year from seeds (if you can keep voles from eating the roots of all your echinacea).

Salvia 'Evolution' is an annual for me, but I grow 'Victoria' and it overwinters. I love the color of 'Evolution'. The 'Victoria' is more of a navy blue with lighter variations.

Annie - I have a local source for the green eyed 'Prairie Sun' but thank you for your offer.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area