Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindysunshine_gw

What Cut Flowers Do you Have?

cindysunshine
13 years ago

That was such a great idea from a few weeks ago I want to thank the cottage gardener who posted it - thank you!

So pretty - so easy. I love zinnias. :)

Comments (16)

• natal
    13 years ago

I love having fresh flowers on the windowsill. When there's nothing to pick from the yard I'll buy a cheap bouquet at the grocery store and divide it up.

This is Friday's pic. I added a purple Cat's Whisker this morning.

Zinnias, coneflowers, BE Susans, Cosmos & Cat's Whiskers.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Natal and I do our flowers that way. Much prettier than putting them in one large vase where you have to cut a lot of flowers.

I need to go cut some right now! Zinnias and Coneflowers, along with Tickseed (the large variety) are good.

• natal
    13 years ago

Does anyone cut Tithonia? I've cut 2 this past week and they didn't last more than a day. I thought they were supposed to be good cut flowers. Is there a secret?

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Natal - I could not find that post with your name in it!

I grew tithonia many years ago and seem to recall the same problem with cutting it. Strange. I really need to grow it again as it's so good for the butterflies and hummers.

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just found this - so they are rather like poppies. I haven't cut poppies or grown the annual ones for awhile but I used to do them this way...

Tithonias make good cut flowers as long as the hollow stems are seared after cutting and plunged into 100 degrees Fahrenheit water.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Cindy, is that a purple Zinnia you have? If so, I'm going to grow them next year.

Natal, I love the tall amber vase on the left. I never thought about buying one of thse bouquets at the store to divide up. Will do it next time!

I looked in my windowsill and only had one flower on it so I cut some more just now. They're still the same but this time I cut a Lantana flower (on the left) to see how long they'll last in water.

BTW, this is a good way to use our old jars and keep them clean and dusted at the same time. lol

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What absolutely charming kitchens you both have. :)

Yes that actually is a purple zinnia - I ordered the big Bennary ones which are the most spectacular (the red and orange above). The pink and purple ones I just picked up locally. There is nothing quite like zinnias for sheer summer appeal.

• natal
    13 years ago

Cindy, thanks for the tip about tithonia. I'll try it next time.

Oakley, I never had luck using lantana as a cut flower. I think I found all of those vases at Pier 1 through the years ... usually end of summer sales.

I grew a few of the Benary zinnias this year too. Cameron mentioned them last year. My favorite has been Uproar Rose. I just seeded some of the purple ones a couple weeks ago in an area where I yanked out a patch of cosmos.

Here is a link that might be useful: zinnias at Johnny's

• DYH
    13 years ago

I LOVE Benary's Giant Zinnias!

This year, though not for cutting, I'm also growing a few short Magellan's around my sundial--huge blooms on short stems. I can already tell that I'm going to love these. I have yellow and white Magellan with salvia 'Victoria Blue' and my usual Giant zinnias in behind the salivas (including Black & Blue) in the cottage garden.

We've had so much heat and no rain. I had planted huge swaths of zinnias and celosia to test with the deer. Although the deer haven't ventured in to eat anything, it's been all I can do to get a few plants going in this summer heat wave.

I cut a lot of flowers in the spring - yarrow, Dutch irises, chives, nepeta, allium for vases.

Again, the heat has kept me from cutting much except gladiolus and the coneflowers which seem to last forever inside.

Cameron

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I try to grow cut flowers. It's been a bit of a frustrating year for that this year. We had a great spring, I let the spring flowers do their thing and seeded too late when the temps got high so things didn't do well. I thought Yvonne's Salvia would be a great one this year, but mine are only 3" tall and not getting taller?
    I do however have GIANT pink zinnias! Big as a saucer, from Baker Creek. I will definately grow these again. Another fave of mine are the lime green zinnias, and the taller gomphrenas.
    I also use many perennials as cut flowers - and leaves. I love leaves for cutting!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Few roses, some hydrangea "Blushing Bride" and soon will have hydrangea "Little Lamb". I also have some echinacea but have not cut any for bouquets yet. I save tall narrow jars that fit in my car's cup holder so I can have fresh flowers on my desk at work.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Natal, are Zinnias easy to grow from seed? I mean really easy like Cosmos?

If so, then I'm going to order the one's from Johnny's that you ordered. What stunning colors!

• DYH
    13 years ago

I have planted the Benary's Giant 'Salmon Rose' with the 'Lime' and those seedling look strong and healthy like they will make a nice swath.

The Benary's 'Orange' is looking good with orange cosmos and stick verbena for a purple-orange mix.

• natal
    13 years ago

are Zinnias easy to grow from seed? I mean really easy like Cosmos?

Yup. Barely cover the seed with soil.

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Ihave several different hydrangeas,zinnias,cosmos,roses,alstromeria,poor mans orchids,,dahlias.daisys,different colors and kinds(daisies that is).I'm sure there's more but my brain isn't co-operating with me today!!LOL
    Kathi

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Right now I have two gardenias (my bush is putting out one or two every day or so. I love it! Shasta daiseys, Coconut lime cone flowers, pink coneflowers, and pink roses in the little square vase. I have calla lilies and one day lily in the tall vase. That's it.
    kay