The Summer Garden on the 4th of July

newyorkrita
12 years ago

Row of Hearts of Fire Daylilies.

Looking down on my terraces garden.

Terraces Garden from the front.

A Section of the terraces.

Yellow Doc Webster daylilies.

Looking down the new backyard daylily bed I did last year.

Looking up the side of the driveway.

The Driveway side slope.

Left side of the Front Yard.

Milkweed patch with daylilies in the backround.

My patio view.

Comments (19)

• katladie
    12 years ago

What are the pink shurbs in the background on the last pic?
    Everything is so beautiful and healthy looking, the only thing blooming here are the crepe myrtles and an ocassional daylily and some stuff in pots. Oh, and how could I forget, the Crinum lilies are showing off since our few rains.'

Sharon

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon- On top those are spirea. Off to the right is a small flowered pink rose, The Fairey.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous and like katladie said, healthy looking. My garden wants to look like your garden when it grows up. I grew spirea and St. John's wort this year from seed via winter sowing and had very high germination on both so those will put on a show in a year or two. My daylilies are just beginning to put on a show as are the Echinacea/coneflower.

• shive
    12 years ago

I really like that row of Hearts of Fire daylilies. They look superb massed like that. The terraces are really a sight to behold - fabulous. Your containers on the patio are really pretty too!

Debra

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

thank you so much for sharing your garden - I am living my summer gardens through you this year since we seem to be in a pocket of totally dry air - it has rained around us but we have only had 1/4" of rain in the last 4 weeks - everything is parched

I am absolutely in awe of your daylilies - just gorgeous .....

Lynne

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Oh yes.
    I especially love your milkweed patch view and the view on your patio. So lush and colorful at the same time! Those portulacas really look great too- they have filled in beautifully and quickly. I'm going to try those soon.
    Renee

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Oh yes, the Hearts of Fire is absolutely magnificent, Rita. I really like it!
    kay

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Everything has really filled in quickly. It is stunning. I bet people pull over to see it. I know I do with gorgeous gardens I come across!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Now those are some great fireworks for the 4th!! Thanks for sharing!

• DYH
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! So pretty, lush and full! Jam packed with goodies!

I do love how your milkweed is already blooming. Like Lynne, the rain has been going around us and it's all I can do to keep the swamp milkweed (asclepias incarnata) alive.

We were in NYC a couple of weeks ago and went to The Battery Gardens (been putting photos on my blog). I arrived there just in time to snap a photo of a Monarch butterfly on the milkweed.

Thanks for sharing,
    Cameron

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful as always.

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Gorgeous. My bike ride took me through NY state and NH and ME. I couldn't get over the glorious blooms. Most daylilies were full buds but hadn't opened yet. But oh the roses....you could tell that the NE has had rain and more rain. Very lush.

My roses are having a lovely rebirth as we have had some good rains and I have fertilized well since I got home. My garden is very green and lush at present but few other blooms. Will live vicariously through yours. c

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Beautiful as always..That butterfly bush color is so pretty. Everything is magazine worthy. I know that has been a lot of work for you planting all those bulbs,etc. Had you ever considered contacting a gardening magazine to come and shoot your gardens and write a story on them? Think about it!

• journalbee
    12 years ago

your daylilies are wonderful. n now i know i need to add more to our garden.
    tfs

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

It's all so beautiful. I love the Hearts of Fire daylilies too, haven't seen them before.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the compliments. As far as magagizes I have no interest. I do love to share pictures on the forums here at Gardenweb.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Rita,
    What is the red daylily with chartreuse starburst throat next to your Doc Webster?
    Your Milkweed patch is really special - gorgeous! Love that color.

Your flowers are ALWAYS spectacular. Bravo!

Sent you an email.

~Annie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annie- I think that is Red Rampage. The Milkweed patch sort of just happened. Last year I had about three plants there but they always make lots of seed. Well, lots must have seeded as this spring a whole bunch of plants came up. I just left them.

Going to check my e-mail now to find your message.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Red Rampage - that is stunning!

Rita,
    Your gardens are ALWAYS fantastic, no matter what is in bloom.

Gorgeous flowers. I love all that vivid color. Wowzers!

~Annie

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz