Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wren_garden

Sand as mulch or what?

wren_garden
9 years ago

We had to take down our 21' above ground pool. There is a 4+" bed of sand where the pool sat.Found one great use for some of the sand. I have lifted the stones in all the stepping stone paths and reset them with a hefty bed of this sand. There is still plenty of sand left. I thought of putting some at the back of all the beds against the house and fences to "hide" more. Would it work to put a 1 inch layer or so on all the beds as a "mulch" of sorts? Has anyone had experience with sand in the garden? I have to get rid of the sand by the end of August so the spot can be go through rehab with added soil and rototilling for a new flower bed and lawn. It's a job and a half and any ideas are welcome.

Comments (13)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

I would be thinking how much ants like sand before putting it against my house. I would probably rake it out and seed it.
    Al

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Do you think a Craigslist posting could help you get rid of it? Someone may need it and be willing to take it away in buckets.

• ianna
    9 years ago

I actually use brick sand to mix in with my topsoil to top dress my lawn. Every year I start off by plugging my lawn to aerate the grass. I then get triple mix top soil mixed in with sand and with the back of a rake, I scrape the soil into the holes left behind. then I reseed the yard. The seeds are then covered with some of the sand to thwart off the birds from eating the seeds.

Anyway, that's just part of what you can use the sand for. When I first got my home, it had horrible lawn and horrible clay soil. Doing what I have done, improved it in no time. Every year I add a little layer of soil and in time I had built up a good layer of top soil and great healthy grass.. I also use the sand in container mixes...

• hoverfly - London
    9 years ago

I definitely wouldn't use pure sand as mulch.

My parents decided to mulch one of their potted plants with sand once and the plant looked pretty miserable afterwards. They took the sand off last year and the soil underneath was bone dry because the sand held on to all the water. Anyway, the plant is much happier without it.

• wren_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I will do some of each. Every chance to use up as much sand as possible. I will also fill a 40 gal garbage can behind our shed for future use.No more beach in the back yard lol,

• grandmachris
    9 years ago

Years ago, when my sister's kids left home and they took down the above ground pool she replaced it with a circular garden with a central garden and four quarters having brick paths. I don't remember whether she had sand underneath and she has had at times over the years needed to work a bit on drainage but it's very nice and we all remember where the pool was. The former huge sandbox--at least 6' x 9' was converted
    into a holding bed for new plants and divisions.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

define mulch.. and you will see sand is not mulch

it will not cool the soil below

it will not help retain moisture in the soil under

it will not reduce soil splashing on plants rain [reduce pathogens]

sand is not mulch ...

ken

• memo3
    9 years ago

No, sand can not be used as mulch I'm afraid. I have sand for soil as I live in the sandhills. Pure sugar sand. I have to amend the sand literally with dump truck loads of aged manure every other year to get anything to grow. Sand will just produce weeds and many of those may have stickers that hurt like crazy when you grab them or step on them. I would rent a bobcat and pile it up in an accessible but out of the way area of your property and then put an add on Craigslist. People are always needing sand for sandboxes, pools, sidewalks, brick paths etc. Just be sure to note that they must haul it.

• ianna
    9 years ago

If you have a fire pit, you can use some of that sand to line the ground.

As I said, I've used brick sand and compost, triple mix for top dressing my lawn with great results.

Another use is when you propagate plants - For cuttings in which I use a soilless mix to start new plants, I add a little layer of sand to prevent mould. (water is wicked from the bottom). I do the same when starting new plants from seeds and for the same reason which is to prevent mould.

What else --- use it in making cement flagstones - I also did a project in which I used fine sand as a kind of mold.. - I stuck in wet sand (wihich a frame) and article to create impressions like baby daughters feet - and then I poured cement into the mould and let it set overnight. The next day, I had a relief of my daughter's footprint.

Again lots of uses - but of course sell off the excess if you can.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Ha Ha Ha ha... Sorry to laugh so much, but here in Florida, pretty much all sand, there are plenty of weeds growing in it.

• ianna
    9 years ago

There are tons of sand also here in the great north..most especially in a location called the Sandbanks. You'd think we are in coastal Virginia.. The only problem with sand that's by the seaside is salt.

• fnat
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have used sand as a mulch in my garden. We use Elmore wash- I am not sure what this is made up of, we use this because it was suggested to us at the nursery. It has been great.

You need to prepare the soil well- get rid of all the weeds. Put a thick layer of newspaper on top of the soil- hint- spray paper with water to stop it from flying away. Then put the Elmore wash on top of paper. Works great and looks fantastic. Harldly any weeks come up if the soil is prepared well.

I have been in our house for over 10 years and the garden is thriving- with no help from me. We have mainly Australian natives in our garden. My type of gardening is put the plant in, water it for a few weeks and then forget about it. I give teh garden a good weeding ever 3 months or so (school holiday time so the kids can help me)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus