Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

This is what I did yesterday

I have quite a few clematis scattered around the garden, this one in particular (Proteus) had really overgrown it's spot, been there for over 20 years. So, yesterday I decided it was time to say goodbye to it.
Armed with a spade I started to dig it out, almost broke the handle, battle plan needed... I got out my stainless steel heavy duty jobie, I dug and pried, took a couple of rests, some liquid refreshment then had another go at it.
Two hours later I finally pried it out after severing most of the roots, was about to toss it and then thought to myself I wonder if I split it up would it survive??? My over curious mind wanted to know sooo, hauled it over to my potting bench and tried to pry it apart, what the h*ll have I got here a chunk of concrete?
So, another rest and some more liquid refreshment I was ready to have another go at it. Out trusty pruning saw, couldn't make a dint, stood there scratching my head for a minute or two. The lightbulb started to flicker what if I hit it with the hose, wash all the soil off so I could see what I was dealing with, by this time I had dug my heels in and I was determined it wasn't going to get the better of me, since it was time for supper I plopped the rootball in a tub of water, went in and made a tasty little salad with cucs from the garden, some shrimp, O.O., a smidge of white wine vinegar and a sprinkling of oregano, this with a potato bun made a quick and easy supper.

************************INTERMISSION************************

Time to tackle my opponent once again. Armed with my trusty little pruning saw I once again attempted to saw through the root mass. Yes.... it was like sawing through concrete but by now I had the bit in my teeth and I was off and running. I kept at until it finally gave in and declared me the winner. I ended up with 3 pieces which are now planted in two gallon pots, all are showing new growth as two weeks before digging I had cut this clemie down and hauled the vine to the landfill. Here's a picture of it in 2006, this year it was three times the size. I only know how to post one pic at a time so two more to follow. Annette

Comments (14)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture of the three pieces I ended up with, this rootball before dividing must have weighed 10 lbs.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Potted up and sitting in limbo, Today I'm taking the day off, well maybe drag the hose around and do a little watering :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Okay, okay, you have put me to shame! Tomorrow (or Wednesday when it is supposed to be cooler) I will get out and do something with the little garden I tried to create around a sign post in our hell strip. I planted a clematis year ago that has never filled out on the trellis and blooms minimally. I added a mandevilla this year, but it looks awful despite watering it-the one last year was much better! I guess I will rip it all out and start fresh!

I wish I had your skills, Annette!

• User
    9 years ago

Once you started you must have thought it was a big mistake and not such an easy project,..liquid refreshment obviously gave you a booster,..wow it was a big root ball,..bet you strained a few muscles but hope next day you were not suffering.

Yes i would have enjoyed your supper as well,..you sure had me smiling,..great job well done,

Philip

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Phew! What a job! That is an absolutely gorgeous clematis. Well done!

• greylady_gardener
    9 years ago

that's a beauty, Annette. I would have hated to lose it, but with your determination (love your description! :)), you now have three!
    surprising what we find when we dig up those roots!

• cadillactaste
    9 years ago

Labor of love...seeing photos of your gardens...you have quite the knowledge and know how. Glad you took the time to split it up...that was beautiful while in bloom. Definitely worth making three than tossing completely out. Good work! Hope you can move tomorrow.

Original Author
    9 years ago

It's my understanding Clemies don't like this kind of treatment, I hope this particular Clemie wasn't aware of that. That root ball must have been 10 lbs. before I cut it up, time will tell if I have succeeded or not. If not at least I got a good cardiovascular workout LOL.

Annette

• ianna
    9 years ago

Annette,

I would have loved you to send me cuttings--LOL. What a lovely plant.

Ianna

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Annette - don't you pull something - lol. That is a beauty - I hope you end up with 3 new plants!!

Nancy.

Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like it worked :), I have a spot for one but the other two need a new home. I'm sure someone at garden club will take these little orphans under their wing.
    Annette

• greylady_gardener
    9 years ago

Oh, good for you!! nice job. :) Lots of work, but you are going to make a couple of people very happy.

• seamommy
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you saved it. What a beautiful clematis!

• rosie99
    9 years ago

Just what I needed to read!! I've got to move my 20yr old clematis to make room for a ramp up to my door...so, guess I'll start tomorrow am before it gets too hot(90's and humid here in VA) I need to mow, too! Keeps me out of trouble!

Thanks again, Garden Web friends!

Sponsored