Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

New Flower Bed Update

thinman
10 years ago

Some of you were kind enough to ask for an update when things started blooming. Well, things are blooming.

Two months later I can see how it is turning out. Self-assigned verdict: not bad for a beginner. It can only improve from here, right?

Here are a few shots I took yesterday.

DW and I are enjoying it a lot.

ThinMan

Comments (44)

• greylady_gardener
    10 years ago

oh my!! You would never know that it is just a new bed! very lovely. No wonder you are enjoying it.

Is that a suncrest lily? :-)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oooh, pretty. But, of course, we ever doubted you and knew it would be lovely!

• memo3
    10 years ago

Beginner..pfft
    It's awesome TM! Love the curvy shape of it so much. Are the zinnia dwarfs or regular sized? Great job!

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Greylady. The lily was sold to me as an Asiatic, Latvia, although it is paler and has fewer freckles than the pictures of Latvia I have seen online. It is a pale green when it first opens, and the yellow develops as days go by.

TM

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you too, Cynthia and MeMo. I wasn't sure how the combinations would turn out. It's the first flower bed I have actually drawn out ahead of time and I took a few liberties with the plan when I was putting things in. I put in only what perennials I already had growing and what annuals I already had seed for.

MeMo - The zinnias are a mix of Benary's Giant Dahlia, Super Cactus Giant, and Whirligig. In spite of the amendments I put in, I think the fertility in the bed is on the low side. I probably should have doubled the compost.

It's so nice to hear your comments!

TM

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

If you hadn't posted your original pics earlier this spring, I don't think anyone would ever imagine this is a new bed! Beautiful job! The combos of plants are great. Love that lily/liatris mix.
    The edges look great. Did you actually raise up the bed a bit from the edge? I can't tell from the pic.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Beginner, Hah! It is beautiful and I am sure you and your DW are indeed enjoying the very nice view.
    kay

• greylady_gardener
    10 years ago

very pretty lily no matter what. though! :)
    Seems to happen a lot, with plants. Pics don't always match, but lovely anyway.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I love it.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot, Thyme2dig. You have a good eye - I did add extra soil to raise the bed up above the surrounding ground.

Thank you, Kay. I think of myself a a beginner in planning and planting an ornamental garden. This is the first one where I have actually done everything from A to Z in one shot. Most of my experience is growing flowers in rows farmer-style.

Thank you, Schoolhouse. That means a lot coming from you. I've seen your creations. :)

TM

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

I think someone from hgtv slipped in during the night and stuck plants in there. lol
    Amazing and so very pretty.
    Kathy

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Great job on your new bed layout and plant selection, TM. That lily is a beauty.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe they did, Kathy, though I'm not sure that anyone there cares much about gardens. I think of it as Hardly Gardening TV now. Do they even have a gardening show anymore? Thanks for liking my new bed.

Thank you, Bobbie. I appreciate your appreciation. :)

TM

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

I agree about HGTV.
    Are y'all like Alaska and it stays light longer that in the south?
    I went to visit my sister and we went to the Matanuska Valley. They grew amazing flowers and vegetables in a short time, due, partly, to the long sun hours.

One night we sat up talking and I realized it was still day light at 2:30 a.m.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kathy. Yep, our days are longer than yours in the summer. I checked it out, and at this date, our days are about an hour longer than yours, and in Juneau Alaska, for example, they are about three hours longer than yours. Up in Barrow AK, they are having 23 hour days.

Good question!

TM

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you can stand a couple more pics, I think the new bed is at its peak right now. I took these from a little different point of view than before, and the gomphrena and cosmos are looking pretty good. Please don't feel like you have to write a comment. Just take a look and smile if you like them.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Are those pink cosmos? I have been tempted to try some out back where we lost a tree. Not full sun, but sunnier than most of the yard at this point.

Still pretty!

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cynthia, the cosmos are Versailles mix. They have always done well for me as cut flowers and I have lots of seeds. Want some?

TM

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

TM: smile comin' at you

;-)

• auntyara
    10 years ago

:) very pretty.
    :) Laura

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Smile

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ooh, TM, I would love some seeds! I have been toying with the idea of a small, meadow-ish garden in the back near the neighbor's fence. I already have some black-eyed susans that have spread from her yard and a few tall phlox that I brought from my mother's garden years ago. I think your cosmos would be a lovely addition.

Cynthia

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Pretty color combos. Oh and, : )

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

I am smiling too Thinman! :-) Your garden looks lovely!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I think all the time you spent planning the shape was well invested. And so many flowers! I think it would make a good cutting garden since with that many blooms you'd be unlikely to miss a few. Just a suggestion based on experience - I'd be sure to cut the lamb's ears flower heads back before they go to seed or you'll have them everywhere in the garden as well as migrating into the lawn.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Schoolhouse and Freezengirl. I'm happy that you are smiling. :)

Babs, good idea about the lambs' ears. I think I'll go cut those things right now.

TM

• ghoghunter
    10 years ago

I love your new garden!! The flower combinations are really beautiful and so colorful!!! Thanks so much for posting the pics!!!
    Joann

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Joann. It keeps changing as the summer rolls along. I have some dahlia coccinea plants that I started from seed, and they are just starting to bloom a little. I'll post a pic when they get further along.

TM

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Excellent!! I've been waiting for that next pic. It really looks great.

• flowerladylorraine
    10 years ago

Hi TM ~ Ha, you're no beginner in growing flowers. Your new bed looks great and I can see why you and your DW love it. Very colorful.

FlowerLady

• flowergirl70ks
    10 years ago

Are those liatrus just from one year? I have some 3 year old ones that don't look that good.

• nulty
    10 years ago

Hi TM,..i love the shape of your flowerbed,..it makes the eye roam,..beautiful selection of blooms as well,..the Cosmos really are stunning as are the Liatrus,..the latter i started this summer,..well thought out flowerbed indeed.

Philip

• NanaDeb50
    10 years ago

Is the tall purple flower liatris? Did you start them from seed? Your bed is lovely and very well designed!
    Thank you for the pictures.

• NanaDeb50
    10 years ago

Is the tall purple flower liatris? Did you start them from seed? Your bed is lovely and very well designed!
    Thank you for the pictures.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I can almost guarantee that the Liatris was not from seed this year. They usually only produce a few grass-like fronds of foliage in the first year. Those are at least second year plants. I agree with everyone--beautiful job, Thinman.

Martha

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Add me to the list of those smiling..You've done a great job,with the shape,color placement etc.Beautiful,just Beautiful.
    TFS
    Kathi

• koszta_kid
    10 years ago

Yes I will you did great job. Going to redo some of my beds. And I miss my cosmos.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I'd love to see another photo as we go into fall - is it still as lovely?

• DYH
    10 years ago

Looks beautiful! I love the height of your flowers. You said you used Versailles mix cosmos, would you mind sharing the varieties of your other flowers?

Thanks,
    Cameron

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, dear cottagers. I just woke up to the fact that I've been neglecting the cottage gardening group in general and this thread in particular. My apologies! To answer your questions ...

Flowergirl70ks and NanaDeb50 - Martha is right. The liatris came from corms that I put in three years ago in a different bed, so I can't really count those among the things I started from seed. I bought liatris seed a few years ago, but when I found out how slow the process was, I went for the corms instead.

Babs - I don't think it's quite as nice looking now, but I'll get the best pictures I can and post them so you can see for yourself.

Cameron - I'll make a list and put it in another post.

Thank you to all of you who have made such generous and welcome comments. It has been heart-warming to read them, especially coming from such a fine group of gardeners.

TM

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are a few shots I took this evening. I didn't take any wide shots, but I hope you like what I got.

I've never had foxgloves so late before. The variety is Foxy, and they bloom the first year from seed. Camelots from seed have bloomed way earlier for me than these did.

The yellow guys on the left are Dahlia coccinea. I don't know any more than that because the seeds came to me in a package of Cosmos seeds. They were started from seed this spring.

To the right are Benary's Giant Zinnias that go back until they meet with Cosmos bipinnatus, Versailles.

The orange zinnia is a Super Cactus Giant and down low behind it is Gomphrena, QIS series. The dahlia behind those is one I picked up on a impulse at WalMart, and I don't know what it is.

More of the cosmos here, with a few small white blossoms of corn cockles (Agrostemma githago, Ocean Pearl). They didn't make much of an impact in the cosmos thicket.

For Cameron, the other things I have in there are
    Snapdragons, Rocket
    Liatris , Floristan Violet
    Lilies, Latvian
    Yarrow (Achillea filipendula, Cloth of Gold)
    Veronica spicata, Sightseeing
    Heliposis, Summer Sun
    Cornflowers (Centaurea, Boy series)
    Baptisia.

I think I got them all.

TM

• ghoghunter
    10 years ago

Wow! Your bed is looking wonderful!! I wish I was there to see it in person! What gorgeous flower combinations! Thanks for the second set of pics they are beautiful!
    Joann

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Very nice to see how long-blooming this bed is. Thanks for the additional photos, TM.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Makes me smile every time I visit this thread!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner