Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Perfect filler plant

Oakley
13 years ago

I did a topic asking the name of a plant that showed up in our wildflower garden.

It's a erigeron/fleabane/Santa Barbara Daisy plant.

Here's the picture again:

{{gwi:696046}}

We planted seeds and they are so delicate and wispy. Our's are about a foot tall.

Perfect filler plants and I ordered a lot of seeds to stick in the ground all aound my other flowers for next year.

Hey, if I can grow these seeds, you all can too. :)

Below is a website that sells them and shows a better picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: fleabane

Comments (18)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I have to agree. I love the stuff. I also like the little Japanese aster

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you grow the Erigeron? If so I'd love to see pictures. :)

• DYH
    13 years ago

That is lovely and a flower that has been on my list to try, but haven't gotten there yet. I'm glad to see that you and GGG grow it because it will probably work here, too.

My favorite filler is perennial flax (linum narbonense) 'Heavenly Blue'. I am totally in love with the wispy foliage, and gorgeous blue blooms. The blooms are open in the morning and then drop as the day heats up. The next morning--back again.

Cameron

• Annie
    13 years ago

I grow both of those.

Fleabane is wild here, so I don't have to plant it. It just blows into the yard and I let it grow here and there. I do have to thin it out as it grows very easily by reseeding itself every year. If you will look in the Gallery at my Meadow Pictures topic, you will see the white Fleabane in with the Brown-eyed and Black-eyed Susans that grow up in the Meadow. I did not plant any of those flowers. I did collect and disperse their seeds last year so they would be thicker and more wide spread throughout the meadow, but that is all.

Fleabane is also a wonderful filler flower for bouquets, especially with roses. I love it.

Cameron, I have the Heavenly Blue Flax in a couple of places too. I hope it spreads and moves around. It has been blooming non-stop since April. I just love it. So light and delicate looking, but that flower is anything but! It is tough! The blue is so pretty! One clump is growing in front of a Betty Prior Rose bush. The baby blue and baby pink are beautiful together.

~Annie

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I love blue flax and want to get it in more gardens. Haven't tried fleabane yet but will put it on my must try list - one of my favorite pictures of Blue Flax - that is my grand niece

• luckygal
    13 years ago

I really like my pink fleabane which I don't remember planting and have always thot the birds brought as have never seen it growing wild here. I should plant some seeds for more. I have perennial blue flax and also had the annual red flax but didn't plant the red this year and the bed it was in is now driveway so no seedlings. I use Shasta daisies as fillers and also like Baby's Breath altho I seeded it late so not sure what it's going to do.

Pink fleabane... This is a pic from last year as it's just beginning to flower now.

Blue flax... This is definitely one tough plant. DH planted it several years ago at the edge of the driveway and it had almost no care. I've since moved it into the garden. Not sure how long-lived it is, I must let it self-sow this year. Pic from a week or so ago.

{{gwi:723363}}

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, Blue flax is definitely on my list for next year! They're so pretty and "feminine." lol

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to ask, do you plant the Blue Flax from seed or buy the plant?

I'm already buying seeds for next year because they run out of the popular one's early.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I start mine from seed - I have never seen plants in the nursery. It starts out very scragerly(is that a word - lol) but will fill out in a couple of years to a nice plant. I cut it back the beginning of July and get another really full flush of flowers for the fall

• lisa33
    13 years ago

Blue flax winter sowed very well for me this year--so, that's one way to go. Still waiting to see flowers, but the plants are doing very well.

Lisa

• DYH
    13 years ago

Plant seeds in the fall in our zone 7, so probably for a zone cooler, too. Plant it where you want it to grow for first year blooms. When I moved seedlings, they survived, but didn't bloom.

I have been tediously collecting seeds so that I can plant it in other places. If it were only easier, I'd offer these to giveaway.

The blue flax looks so good with burgundy colors such as drumstick allium and purple fountain grass. I also like it with shasta daisies for a blue/white combo.

Love the pretty blooms and the foliage.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Our blue flax (perennial) was seeded along with the red annual flax at the edge of the driveway and the red bloomed the first year but the blue didn't til the following year. When I moved them to widen the driveway I put 10-12 plants in each clump in the garden beds. I think they would look great if seeded in a swath and may do that in our new area. Not sure if they would bloom the first year if seeded early in a warmer zone. They are a winner for this cold zone garden.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Fleabane grows wild here,too; some years better than others. Lately, it's sparse in the orchard where it once was taking over. There are a few plants in the ditch across the road which the mower will take down any day now.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Ignore my previous post. I thought we were talking about the wild shasta daisy.

But I do have lots of fleabane, also the variety that has a pinkish cast and sometimes even a light blue.

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

I had blue flax at the old house. It was very easy from seed - maybe a bit too easy! I got tired of it because it always dropped the blooms before I would get home in the evening, so I could only appreciate it on the weekends. Also, it was in front of my 3 Morden Blush pale pink roses - I felt like I was in an eternal baby shower! Maybe I'll eventually plant it again, but I needed a break!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I'll get some photos for you oakly. I grow blue flax, and I really like it however it is only an early spring flowering plant for me. I wish it would bloom longer!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Here's a long shot of the plant, stuffed in by the driveway. My Santa Barbara Daisy likes to seed itself where it wants, usually in cracks and crevices.

Here's just the plant:

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I love it! I wish it was already next Spring. lol.

We have a rock walkway and steps on one side of the flowerbed which isn't shown in the pictures, that will be a good place to drop some seeds in.

I have the same purple leaved plant you have but grow it as a houseplant.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting