Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Sunglowers and such

thinman
12 years ago

I may be a step or two slower this summer, but there are still a lot of nice flowers to be cut in my gardens. Here's a bucket and bouquet from yesterday.

Except for the container, I'm not convinced that the bouquet is much of an improvement on the flowers in the bucket. :)

ThinMan

Comments (25)

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Fresh, happy, cheerful, wholesome - love it!
    Thank you for the flowers, ThinMan :).

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I think that's every gardener's dream, to be able to go out and pick bouquets from dozens of flowers.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Beautiful bouquet, I have just the place for it on my diningroom buffet :).

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmmm. It looks like I invented a new flower - the sunglower. I kind of like the name.

TM

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I wasn't sure if you intended that or not. They do glow in the sun after all. Good one.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

That is a stellar arrangement. Absolutely beautiful.

• rafor
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

So glad you are able to get out into your gardens and enjoy them! Are you doing the farmers market this summer? The bucket makes me think that you must be.

Beautiful bucket, but absolutely gorgeous bouquet! Wish I could create such an arrangement.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Oh my! That is gorgeous!!!

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

They truly are the Sunglowers!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Oh so beautiful! What variety of Rudbeckia and Millet are those? And is that a knapweed in the center, or something else? Fantastic bouquet- thanks for sharing!
    CMK

• thinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your compliments, which of course are exactly what I was fishing for. :)

I'm not doing the farmers market this year, Mary Lu. I had a little heart attack just at planting time so I didn't get much in the ground. The bucket was just a handy thing to cut into.

CMK - The rudbeckia is Cherokee Sunset and the millet is Setaria italica, Red Jewel. The tall purple stuff is Liatris and the tall yellow things in the center are Centaurea macrocephela.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I just set this as the background pic on my computer...sooooo lovely!!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Sooooo pretty! Love the way they look just plopped in the bucket!

• User
    12 years ago

TM I love the flowers > I am sorry you had a heart attack. I sure hope you are on the road to recovery . I think sunglower is a perfect description. c

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

What lovely flowers and an ideal arrangement of them.
    kay

• thinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Caroline. I'm essentially fully recovered. I just have to take my meds and hope that the heart disease reversal diet lives up to it's name. :)

TM

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

TM, so sorry to hear that you had a heart attack. Very glad to hear that you are doing well now. Keep up the meds and good diet!

I'll bet you are sorely missed at the farmer's market. You grow such wonderful flowers and have such a knack for arranging them.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Both arrangements are beautiful! Best of health to you!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

So glad to hear you have fully recovered. Diets for a healthy heart DO work, we've changed our eating habits considerably since DH had blocked artery problems 24 years ago, not saying we don't cheat once in awhile tho :).

Annette

• DYH
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear of your heart attack. Do take care.

Of all the moving parts, the heart is one with so many advances in medicine. My son's fianc� is an anesthesiologist for transplant surgery at Duke and I've learned so much from talking to her since she specialized in thoracic medicine (she's a heart and lung expert).

Your flowers are so beautiful and no bug bites on them!

Cameron

• ladygladys
    12 years ago

Breath taking flowers! I may have to add that perennial baby's breath to my list now to wintersow!

• Annie
    12 years ago

Oh how beautiful!
    You truly have a way with flowers.
    Yours ALWAYS look so fresh and perfect.

I hadn't been on here in a long while, but when I came back, I was wondering about you - I am so sorry to hear about your heart attack. It's great to hear that you are on the mend and being a good boy - taking your medicine and eating to live. :)
    It's good to see that you still have your sense of humour.
    Farmer's Market work is a LOT of hard work and l-o-n-g hours - from the crack of dawn til...?
    I love the bouquet, but there is just something so charming about that bucket of flowers. Gorgeous!
    I'm growing a small stand of sunflowers this year, and when they began to bloom, I was standing there one evening, admiring my little accomplishment and thought of you and your rows and rows of perfect sunflowers. How DO you keep them so pristine and unblemished????
    Take care friend.

~Annie
    BTW, How's my name sake?

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Absolutely Gorgeous,both bucket and vase!!

Sorry to hear about your heart attack,glad however to see you are doing well now.Working with/in your gardens will keep your spirit up,just don't over do it.TFS
    Kathi

• thinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all, for the continued nice words and good wishes. This has to be the best and kindest group of people on any forum anywhere. :)

Annie, your namesake is doing really well. A year of maturity has mellowed her a lot and we are enjoying her a bunch.

This was taken in May:

TM

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!