Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluestone7

Empty Spaces Left by Annuals- What to do?

bluestone7
10 years ago

The mid to front section of my very sunny, and hot garden bed in the front of our house has been filled with annuals that we put in over the past yr. and a half. We are in zone 7b.

I am thinking ahead to the fall and winter and do not want such a wide swathe of empty space in our rather large bed. I know I need a sprinkling of perenialls that look good in winter- most likely smaller shrubs that can take the sun and heat next yr. in summer.

The back of the bed is filled with rhododendrons, mid bed has barberry and crocosmia. But, the front of the bed was allysum, stachy, blue fescue, daylillies and salvia-- come winter there is going to be a 36 " deep x 18 ft long. open area. And, of course the allysum will be gone for good. So those holes could take something that will stay as the allysum cooked in the heat, though pretty it wasn't practical.

Any suggestions on lower growing perennials shrubs that don't get too wide and will add winter interest in zone 7b? I have done searches and keep coming up with zero.

Comments (4)