Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soaking lily bulbs in bleach solution

Posted by midnightsmum 4b ON (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 15:15

I got some dahlia and lily bulbs cheap so I am getting the dahlias in today. I'm going to get the lilies in soon too, but I want to soak them in beach solution first - does anyone remember the ratio?

Tia, Nancy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soaking lily bulbs in bleach solution

I sent 30 iris to my SIL in Denver and soaked them in bleach solution, rinsed the solution off and let them dry first. Boy, were they bleached pale and clean when they went!
I used a gal. of water and maybe a cup of bleach.

o

Thanks Ginier, having had lily beetles in my last garden, I don't want to invite them in again. Off to get my bucket and my bleach. :-)

Nancy.

o

I did a search and found a site that recommends a nine parts water to one part bleach ratio.

Never thought about doing that, but it is a good idea. :)

o

I remember reading about this years ago and swore the next time I planted lilies I'd do it.

Thanks all. Nancy

o

Hello! Are you guys saying that if you bleach your lily bulbs the dreaded red lily beetles will not go after them?

o

Thyme, it kills any eggs that have hitched a ride, they say. Once you have the red bugs, you're doomed. I'm trying it on these new bulbs, so fingers crossed it will work its magic.

Nancy.

o

Doomed I am! LOL! Years ago I used to pick the beetles off all the time and did fairly well saving the flowers.......but then one year after working so diligently to save my lilies I got home from work each evening and the buds were cut clean off. Then I witnessed the culprit. Chipmunks were shimmying up the 3' lilies and biting off the buds! Those little buggers! After that I ripped them all out. No more lilies for me.....except for one that's blooming now that I didn't even really know I had under a shrub. Go figure!

o

That is a great tip,..something i never knew and one i will now always be thankful for,..well done.

Philip

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here