Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merilia

How much should I care about the 'weed' label of a plant?

Merilia
12 years ago

I rather enjoy the creeping buttercup that's taken over part of my yard. I like its golden flowers and deeply cut dark green leaves, and it has formed a lush carpet that stands up to a lot of traffic. It's so easy to keep trimmed with my reel mower, and it does an ok job of keeping out the uglier weeds. Also, right now it's growing in an area that is shaded heavy clay with bad drainage--not the favored growing conditions of most plants. It spreads quickly, but honestly I haven't had any issues keeping it out of the flower beds.

In short, everything about this plant is ideal, except that it's considered a weed. How much does that label really matter? Would my neighbors be justified in complaining if I let it take over the rest of the sickly-looking "lawn" area? Trying to nurse that mess of grass and weeds into a lush lawn would involve lots of labor and fertilizers and grass seed, and personally I'd be quite happy with the buttercups.

As far as environmental concerns go, creeping buttercup is not listed as a noxious weed in my area, but the government recommends keeping it out of "protected wilderness areas, natural lands that are being restored to native vegetation, and in pastures that are being grazed." None of these apply to my lawn area.

Comments (10)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Several years ago my next door neighbor planted gooseneck loosestrife and has let it run rampant on his property. It's already sprouting up 75 - 100 ft. from where the main (large) clump is growing. We learned recently he has Alzheimer's so chances are he won't recall it's invasive even though I've warned him about it many times. I expect to see it popping up fairly soon on my side of the property line and having to battle it endlessly from that point forward into the future.

The difference between gooseneck loosestrife--a known invasive--and the creeping buttercup you're growing may simply be the buttercup's lack of designation as an invasive. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of caution rather than commit some faux pas that eventually becomes impossible to reverse without strong measures.

I'm no expert on creeping buttercup so hopefully those with a closer knowledge of its growing habits will weigh in and offer other opinions.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I don't know if I'd grow it over my whole lawn, but under a tree or in a high traffic path area, it would be beautiful :)

• roxanna
    12 years ago

i have both creeping buttercup AND goosenecked loostrife growing on my 1 1/2 "cultivated" acres. the loosestrife i planted as i love the flower -- the invasive part, not so much. but i can live with it, and there is no danger that it will infect my neighbors, only because the properties here are three acres or more in size.

as for the buttercup, which was here already (i did not plant it, LOL), i agree that it is very attractive, and covers non-garden areas of poor drainage/shade, etc. very nicely. when in bloom, it's a gorgeous mass of bright shiny yellow, and i assume the bees love it. on the other hand, i would not like for it to get into any of my flower beds, as it is nearly impossible to irradicate once it is among wanted plants. (ask me how i know...)

as far as the answer to your post's query, the old definition of a weed = any plant that grows where not wanted applies here, i think. excluding invasives, if you like it and have the space that won't encroach upon your neighbors and cause them to hate you, then go ahead and enjoy!

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

I go back & forth about this lawn weed. This time of year with the small yellow flowers & small foliage I don't mind it. Once the larger leaves come & it reseeds into my flower beds I don't like it as much.

When I've converted parts of the lawn to flowerbeds buttercup is the most persistent weed around the edges pushing up through any possible gap in the cardboard smother layer. For that reason I pull it whenever possible, but don't use any chemicals to get rid of it in the lawn.

What I don't like about the weeds in the lawn is the way it interferes with playing bocce ball or croquet. A smooth turf without these larger leaved weeds would improve my chances of beating my opponents.

Just today sat on the lawn pulling buttercup & its new runners, plantain, & another creeping spreader with purple flowers called Prunella vulgaris. One weed led to another until I had crept along for a few hours pulling up a huge amount of weeds that had basically woven themselves through the turf. Hundreds remain, so it might be a losing battle, but I feel triumphant and just may have a chance of beating my son at a game.

Anyone have this weed in their lawn?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

Merilia- It sounds like the creeping buttercup suits your needs perfectly. I say, enjoy.

I have been going into the wilder parts of my property and moving some of the 'weeds' into my cottage area, so I can enjoy them at close range.

Weeds, like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder.
    -Sprout (Linda)

• Merilia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Corinne: I do, and it just started flowering about a week ago, along with the white clover, bindweed, and these awful dandelion-family-looking things with ugly leaves flush to the ground and long, strong leathery stalks (no clue what they are called).

• mehearty
    12 years ago

I kind of like it. I didn't realize it was that invasive though.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

As long as you can stay on top of it and make sure it doesn't become an out of control problem for you or anyone else later on it is fine. I let the weedy Campanula rampunculoides (evil twin of Adenophora) grow and bloom simply because there is no getting rid of it. Might as well enjoy the pretty flowers, lol. As soon as they are done I yank em' so they don't reseed. I've found they also seem a bit easier to pull once they have bloomed.

I don't intentionally plant anything anymore that is super invasive or could become so. In the first few years of gardening I didn't mind the spreaders since I had so much room to fill. Now they are a problem since they are running into my more desirable plants.
    CMK

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Merilla,
    Common cat's ear or false dandelion is the tall yellow flowering weed. It does pull out in moist soil. Catching them before they set seed is a great idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: false dandelion

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Sounds lovely. I adore lawns made up of flowers. Even dandelions! I wish they would all stay green, though.
    Renee

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets