Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

July flowers in the garden...so far

I seem to always take pictures on cloudy days.....I think I do it because they just look better.
Anyway I went out and took some pictures of whats blooming, there are a lot of things NOT blooming, so I bet I take more next week!
Here are a few to enjoy.

First, does anyone know what this is? I am thinking some type of verbascum, but I'm not sure. I had one show up a few years ago, and it must seed itself, because I now have a nice clump.
{{gwi:253565}}

{{gwi:253566}}

Here is a pair of berries I found stuck on an arbor...maybe someone was saving them for a snack later!

I have this window in my shrub border, with a couple of clematis planted on it. The clematis was mislabeled, they were supposed to be peach colored! But that's OK I like the purple/lavender combo just fine. In front of the window is planted a sutherland gold elderberry, which I love for it's leaves.
{{gwi:253567}}

Here are a couple happy unexpected combo's:
{{gwi:253571}}

{{gwi:253570}}

{{gwi:253569}}

There are many more pictures in my flicker album, as always the newest are at the bottom.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: My 2013 garden

Comments (9)

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

The plant you think is verbascum is beautiful. I've seen them before but can't remember the name.

Also like the window in the garden. I would love a wrought iron grill of some sort as a window in one of my sunken gardens. You've made me want to search.

Your color combos are very nice, I like when the unexpected happens don't you? The photo of the forgotten snack is sweet.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Very nice pix.

I grew the hybrid verbascum 'Southern Charm' once and now I have those same verbascum growing here. Not quite 'Southern Charm' but not full fledged mullein (Verbascum thapsus) either.

tj

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

I don't know what the first plant is, but it sure is pretty. Thanks for the pics. I always enjoy them. Your color choices are similar to my taste.

Kathy

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

Oh, jennypat, thank you for the beautiful pictures!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Lovely garden and pics as always, Jenny! Thanks for showing.

Your Verbascum is lovely. I only have the common mullein which the birds brought me and which I need to remove before it seeds as it can become invasive. Unfortunately Southern Charm is not hardy enough for my climate.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Luckygal, are you sure? I believe after a bit of research that this is "Verbascum Nigrum" I am in zone 3b NW MN and I have no idea how it came to be in my garden, it showed up one year and I let it be. I have the common Mullein too, which I usually let one or two grow, and bloom but I pull before it sends seeds everywhere.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That is very pretty. I really like that window. Such talent!
    kay

• pippi21
    10 years ago

Jenny, I just looked at your pictures; what beauty you have created for yourself and others. Thanks for sharing. Did you buy starter plants or plant the seeds yourself? I love all your flowers..do you know the names of all of your peony varieties, especially the burgundy one? I would love to be your neighbor and be able to wake up and enjoy the beautiful gardens you have created and to be able to talk to you about the different flowers.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you
    Pippi, I do both, buy starters and plant seeds. I am sorry I don' t know the names of my peony's. Some were here when we moved in 20 years ago. Some were rescued from an old house that was demolished down the road from me. And some were given to me by the daughters of my great aunt and uncle, after they passed away.

I would love to have neighbors to talk gardens with! But you would have to wait until evening to chat, I work nights, and morning doesn't come til 10.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting