Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crackingtheconcrete

I love Verbascum 16 Candles..and other Pics

I really love this plant and it overwintered for me this year in a container! The purple accents and yellow are just beautiful.

Love-in-a-Mist's intricate foliage is charming to me. I am going to try more colors next year!

Echinacea Coconut Lime overwintered nicely for me in a container. I wasn't expecting it to make it, but am so glad it did :)(obviously,as if I would say, "Yay, it didn't)

Blue Lace Delphinium leaning in the wind with Daylily Fairy Tale Pink in the background

{{gwi:727148}}

Rose Bon Bon Cosmo backed by Apricot Sparkles Daylily

A larger view of my little ten by ten foot garden and ivy-entwined panels.

Thanks for looking! :)

Comments (13)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

You do an aweful lot with such a small space and in containers to boot. Fabulous job. I just love the delph and the last garden shot. The Verbascum is really pretty but it is not a plant I had ever seen before.

• Cher
    12 years ago

Everything is lovely. What a nice combination of plants you have going there and so many in pots too.
    Cher

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much :)
    Rita, the verbascum has large flat leaves, then tall spikes rise out of it and last a week or 2. Gardenwise, I'm generally really happy, but haven't yet gotten the knack of always having lots in bloom. I'm getting there, though.
    Cher, I basically garden in upwards of 75 containers and a raised bed on concrete. The advantage is that if something isn't working well in one spot, I can shift it easily halfway through a season by moving the container.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I love all those and i agree with you,that verbascum is soooo pretty.I'd like to see another picture when all those buds in that last picture open up!! Your flowers are all beauties.
    Kathi

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

That verbascum is gorgeous!!! What is the structure you have by the echinacea? It looks like some sort of large square trellis? Can you get some longer shots of that? It looks really nice.

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathi- I'll absolutely post when the buds open :)
    thyme2dig (I love this name lol) The structure is a Gothic panel trellis designed for the container - I love it. Its a little hard to photograph because it's up against a chain-link fence, rather than something solid, but I'll try tonight and post tomorrow afternoon. :)

• proudgm_03
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I love the verbascum and delphinium. Two of my favorite plants!

• cziga
    12 years ago

I love verbascum as well, I've tried several varieties (Southern Charm, Smoky Plum, nigrum, Milkshake, album) and am always looking for more ...

I have never seen 16 Candles around here, but I do love the colours. Really nice, I will keep my eyes open for that one near here!!

Verbascum is a great plant, long tap root so they are difficult to move once established, but great drought-resistant plants and they send up these beautiful spikes of flowers. Rarely need staking, although one of my varieties is quite floppy. The common plants, like Verbascum Album will reseed quite a bit, but the more specialized varieties seem much better behaved.

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cziga- which are your favorites? I had seen Carribean Crush and Banana Custard, but they were both in magazines that I know touch up their color, so I wouldn't get them. :)

• cziga
    12 years ago

Banana Custard I've never tried.

I actually had Caribbean Crush a while back, it didn't make it through the winter several years ago ... it was quite pretty - the colour is cool because each flower stalk is a bit different so it looks really interesting. I would have replaced it but I haven't seen it for sale around here since. You're right, it is not as vibrant as pictures in magazines/catalogues would suggest, but it quite pretty nonetheless.

I like Southern Charm although it tends to be floppy. The colour is really nice (kind of a mix of pinks, lavenders, creamy flowers, majority being a peachy pink), and I have it paired with a bluish-purple delphinium which I think looks good.

I used to have Summer Sorbet as well ... not sure where it went :( It was a nice deep colour, the deepest of any Verbascum I've grown and I wish it hadn't vanished ...

I really like Smoky Plum so far ... nice colour but very small still (first year it bloomed was this year). It is a dwarf variety though, so it will never get too large.

Nigrum is huge, strong stalks, much bigger and taller than I had expected. Not quite as dark a flower as I expected from the name, but a really good back of the border plant.

Album bugs me a little because they look pretty in bloom but then seed quite a bit, and pulling out verbascum is kind of annoying the next Spring!!

I have always wanted to try Sugar Plum too - looks like a great light purple. Pink Petticoats has ruffled pink flowers which is another I'd like to see. And I'd also really like to find Clementine, a nice coppery-orange looking one (and the only orange Verbascum I've ever seen). And now 16 candles, I love the yellow and purple combo on the flowers.

• DYH
    12 years ago

Lovely flowers! I do like that verbascum (and, I do love the self-sowers here because we have so much drought, anything to survive is great).

Your coneflowers are really super!

Cameron

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Finally! Here are the pictures of the gothic trellis, from a few different angles. I have 3 morning glory vines JUST starting to twine up them, and a clematis "Avant Garde" as well.

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, that Is cool! ;) Thanks for the link. Lol. An adventurous traveler steps outside the gate. I had heard that after a few years, Verbascums don't come back so well, so I was considering saving seed this year.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County