Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyinwv

question about succession planting...need help

tammyinwv
14 years ago

I have lots of things blooming in the spring. In the front of my 60 ft long bed I have lots of daffodils, a few hyacinths, and some crocus. The problem is that after these are done, theres not much there. ANd when i try to put something there I end up digging into bulbs.

I just read a suggestion about planting daffodils, then 1/2 fill hole, add some crocus on top, or other later spring bulbs. But what can you do for continuous season color?

Is there some way to plant something over these that will bloom after the daffodils? I need suggestions.

I have recently gotten into annuals, so I am stocking up on poppies, zinnias etc for next yr. Someone told me that plant poppies over their iris, then pull them when finished and plant cosmos.SO I plan on trying that as well next yr.

I seriously need to completely re-do this bed, now that I have the plants to fill most of it. When it was started about 8 yrs ago, I just spread things out, and planted where ever I had a bare spot.

Tammy

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

My mother used to plant her tulips and then sprinkle Shirley Poppy seed over the soil when the tulips were covered. You can plant summer annuals over bulbs, they have shallow roots and you don't have to dig deep to plant them.

There are numerous previous threads where we've talked about this very thing. Here are a few to get you started:

What Are You going to Plant this Year?

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I will check those links. i forgot to add that this is a raised bed. its about 28" high. And the daffodils are in the front of the bed.

• DYH
    14 years ago

Try planting a ground cover perennial that will sprawl over the top of the bulbs. I use perennial heliotrope, homestead verbena and thyme. Larkspur worked well sown with my daffodil bed. My larkspur is just now finishing up and it started blooming in May. You can also use "garden art". I have a big patch of Spanish bluebells that leave a bare spot in the garden. I put a large snail figure on top of them this time of year.

Cameron

• ianna
    14 years ago

YOu can certainly do succession planting from spring to fall. My spring bulbs are piled up one over another in holes spread all over my small front bed. Place the largest of the bulbs in the bottom, add a little layer of soil and add the next bulbs. There are early season, middle and late season tulips. I suggest putting all three in the same hole. As one tulip starts to fade away, the next tulips starts to bloom. Top this hole with your daffodils as this will prevent squirrels from digging up the tulips. Daffodils are toxic and bitter to the taste. I also will plant my alliums bunched up nearby. In the very same bed, I have my perennials growing. I start them off small so their roots can fit in between the areas planted with tulips. In time, the bed is filled and succession planting from the spring blooms transitions smoothly to early summer blooms and finally late summer blooms. I will also sprinkle favorite annual seeds all throughout the bed so it has a wildflower garden feel. The annuals - Not the maintenance heavy types, will fit in well.

So for example of my early summer plants - these are the meadow sages, shortly followed by the perennial cornflower, later joined in by the delphiniums,lavenders iris, and soon the mid summer plants join in such as the coreopsis, knautias, yarrows, roses, coneflowers, daisies, veronicas, poppies and the later summer plants such as the phlox, rudbeckias,

Just some example. My front border is small but it's packed and there are far more flowers there than I can name.

• tammyinwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ianna, I would love to see pics. How deep are you planting the tulips and daffodils then since you layer them?

Are there any bulbs you would recommend to overplant these for z6b, for bloom july on?

I guess, since I am starting to get more into annuals, I should just plant the young seedlings of zinnias,etc over the daffodils.

Tammy

• ianna
    14 years ago

Tammy, I've yet to get myself set up with an album and upload the photos I've been taking. In that sense I'm a bit techno- backwards. However that's not to say I have taken tons of photos through this season.

I plant my bulbs according to the instructions on the package. The rule of thumb is the largest bulb in the bottom and the smallest bulbs at the very top.

Tulips are 8" deep and I work myself upwards. I try to create a grouping of spring flowering plants like it would look if bunched together as a bouquet. So it's a mishmash of many kinds of plants, not necessarily all tulips and daffodils too- sometimes I add fritalarias or hyacinths.

I do add my annuals such as pansy's close to the base of the flowering tulips once I can how its growing. This is a very dense group and sometimes you will need to plant in the perimeters of hte group rather than overtop. So with regards to seeding over the bulbs, do keep in mind that this may happen and also reserve a few seeds just incase the ones you planted didn't work out. You see as the tulips begin to poke through the soil, seeds sown overtop may be displaced.

Sponsored