Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trailrunnerbiker

thank you rafor...I made a potting table !

trailrunner
12 years ago

I found the two pieces of heart pine flooring in an old house that a friend is salvaging. The rest of the 2x4's were on a curb...old heart pine with square nails in them. I have an old hand saw and DH showed me how to measure and cut. I have never ever tried to do something like this before....I know it looks it LOL. But what fun I had...sweating and laughing. I will love this forever. can't thank you enough for the inspiration.

top is 2 heart pine tongue and groove boards...40x29, legs are 32" tall

corner braces :

wood screws to hold it all 2 1/2 " and 1 1/2 " for the top. I used an electric drill with a driver to screw it all together.

Will get hours of enjoyment. c

Comments (17)

• rafor
    12 years ago

Very very cool! Way to go. Good for you using those tools. I'm still a little leery of big power tools. I don't mind the battery operated drills, but I'm really cautious with the chop saw and I won't use a circular saw if I can avoid it. Lovely wood too :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago
  • trailrunner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The old saw was one my DH bought to cut limbs from trees back in 1979. It is pretty rusty but not too bad. Had to figure out how to push/pull it back and forth...worked up a sweat I can tell you....he wouldn't let me have a power anything ! Just the drill LOL. The wood is nice...I am going to put some waterlox on it to help preserve it but other than that it is going to weather along with me :)

Thank you schoolhouse !! c

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Boy! I am impressed.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are a sweet one ! I am impressed too :) c

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

LOL! My first husband was a plumber and my 2nd was a carpenter. So I never learned to do many things.
    But I know how to use a screw drive and channel locks.

kathy

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Kathy...have NO idea what a channel lock is...for boats ???? You are so funny. c

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Way to go! Rafor has inspired me to get a potting table set up too, I just haven't posted a pic of mine yet, I bought it for $20 at a garage sale and Love it! Then I went and got a cement sink to set up outside too! ($5)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

C
    you probably know what they are, just not the name. Like pliers. They can be adjust to differnt sizes.

{{gwi:727405}}

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

calamity...you gotta post a pic. What is a cement sink ??? Please show your setup. Is is connected to a water source ??? Inquiring minds :)

Yep Kathy I have seen those. c

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

C, good on you. It looks VERY cottagey.

Annette

• Annie
    12 years ago

I am so jealous of your ability to construct things, but I am so proud of you too. ;)

I have boards laying across two sawhorses. That's my work table. (LOL)

My DH can build just about anything, but he doesn't...(grrrr). So, I do the best I can.

I can use all power tools just fine. I can design anything, but I just can't put it together for beans!

Bravo to all of you who can do it yourself. It looks terrific!

~Annie

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Hey, who cares what it looks like; it's for "Playing in dirt."
    My hat off to you for using recycled materials. My husband built me a nice one years ago and when he builts anything, it'll last a life time. We moved in Feb. 2005 and we left it at the old house. Our neighbor used to tell him he had "overbuild kill." I loved that potting bench. We always kept it on the side of the storage shed, out of eye sight but it really was used a lot and came in handy so many times.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

LOL!
    That's the way my DH was. He was a carpenter and if one screw would hold it 20 really would.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Annette...that is what DH said too...rustic was his first words !

Annie I need to come visit and learn to use those tools ! I can put it together if you cut...we could be a team :)

pippi I bet you do miss it. You need to make him do another. DH would have had me add way more screws but I called a halt LOL. Wanted it to look less constructed. c

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I have a potting bench made by a GW friend, but I could use a few more around the garden. I can not be trusted with a circular saw...so I only made myself a small "bench" really a shelf on brackets, but it works (for the veggie garden) - although it is too small....
    But yesterday a friend stopped by and said he wanted to learn to garden and to can food and make more things from scratch and learn to do more for himself. He is very handy already and has offered to swap plumbing, electrical and handy making things services. He is also a most excellent scrounger of side of the road finds, so perhaps he can find some cool things to cobble me up a bench or two. You did a super job on yours trailrunner. I love the way it looks.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you GGG. I am always looking for curb finds. I always say I have kept my old pickup for that reason :) When DH is with me he hates to stop and get more " stuff" so it is usually when I am alone. In this case he helped load the wood...maybe I am converting him ! You will have to post pics of your tables . c

Sponsored