Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

More blooms from my garden

I am doing my best to remember to take pictures this year, although I will be leaving on Sunday for 3 weeks. Here are are few I took in the last week.

Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: JennyPat's 2014 garden album

Comments (10)

• nulty
    9 years ago

Fantastic blooms Jennypat,..is that a Verbascuim niger,..looks something like mine but yours is more dense with yellow blooms.

Philip

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Philip, yes that is Verbascuim Niger, or is it nigrum? It's the most asked about plant in my yard, and I swear I never planted it! One just showed up, I didn't know what it was so I let it grow, and am so glad I did!

• nulty
    9 years ago

Hi jennypat,
    Verbascuim nigrum is right,..i have a bad habit of thinking i know the correct name without checking,..its age lol.

Just this week a German Lady sent me a video of her garden and there was Verbascuim nigrum,..it just appeared in her garden,..that's where my came from,..i love volunteer plants,..i now have three of them they are impressive and so tall.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm that verbascum has a lot fewer flowers and looks taller than mine. These only get about 3 to 4 feet tall. I also have the native mullien in my garden, I know it's a verbascum but don't remember the rest of the name. It's the one with the furry leaves and gets about 6' tall. I love it, and let a few stay. I think I have 6 this year, but I know I pulled a bunch of babies out.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Jenny, you've got some real beauties there, you think I would have learned by now but I'm still trying to master growing great delphiniums, the one thorn in my side, seeing yours wants me to give it one more try.

Annette

• nulty
    9 years ago

Hi jennypat,
    i know there is a Verbascum olympicum,..and it grows to 6ft,..its different to mine as it has leaves covered in white woolly felt,..the flowers are similar to yours and mine but it has branches of flowers as well as the spire we have,..i must do a study some time as they are all impressive.

Philip

• ianna
    9 years ago

Jenny what you have is a delphinium (referring to the top photo on this thread)- not a verbascum. Take side shot and compare the stems with verbascums.

This post was edited by ianna on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 12:39

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops sorry ianna, we were discussing the verbascum in the other set of pictures I shared. Didn't mean to confuse you. Yes the one in is thread is delphinium I grow a lot of them! in various colors. It's one of my favorite perennials.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Oh, I used to have V. nigrum - love it - I need to source some seed!! And i love your 'feline' sculpture!!

Nancy.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

I love verbascum,but have never found it here in S.Calif.Does anyone know if it will grow here?/ I know i can google!!
    Kathi

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design